News:

Remember, its all a sociological experiment.  "You are doing exactly as I planned. My god you are all so predictable."  Repeat until you believe it.

Main Menu

Gödel, Escher, Bach video lectures

Started by Cramulus, August 30, 2009, 06:16:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cramulus

Douglas Hofstadter's Gödel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid has been recorded as a series of video lectures for MIT's Open Courseware project.

http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/hs/geb/VideoLectures/

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Excellent.

Now I just need to find the time between school and work to watch these...
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Elder Iptuous

awesome!
thanks for the link-o, Cram...

bones

Thanks to this link I found out the latest realmediaplayer adds a 'download' button to all videos online ever.
I'm sorry, but that fact turned out to be more interesting than the video itself. Needs better lecturer, this guy is painful to watch. Is it just me?
filmmusic

Brotep

I've met Hofstadter.  He's a douche.  Not as much as Stephen Wolfram, but who is?

Cramulus

yeah? what happened? I've always wanted to meet the guy.

I took a class with one of his collegues
she described him as "a brilliant man with a few queer ideas"

Elder Iptuous

I corresponded with him through the mail, and he was pretty decent fellow, from my experience.  (he even did me a hand drawn invertable ambigram of my name, and not even one from an invertible font set)
what did he do to lessen your opinion of him?

Brotep

Quote from: Iptuous on September 04, 2009, 05:24:25 PM

I took his "writing structured verse" course.  He proved to be rather elitist.  He also made one of my classmates cry.

Elder Iptuous

Quote from: Anton on September 04, 2009, 06:34:24 PM
Quote from: Iptuous on September 04, 2009, 05:24:25 PM

I took his "writing structured verse" course.  He proved to be rather elitist.  He also made one of my classmates cry.

Was his elitism expressed by assuming everyone you and your classmates to be out of the running for the 'elite'?  i can see why that would be annoying.  or was it simply an open disdain for a large segment of society?
what did he do to make your classmate cry?  from the pictures of him that i've seen, he doesn't look like he could throw a very good punch. :)

Brotep

Quote from: Iptuous on September 04, 2009, 07:20:56 PM
Was his elitism expressed by assuming everyone you and your classmates to be out of the running for the 'elite'?
When I told him I liked structured verse, he made some statement to the effect that everyone else was out of the running for the elite.  He was so zealous about it, I found it obnoxious.

Quotewhat did he do to make your classmate cry?  from the pictures of him that i've seen, he doesn't look like he could throw a very good punch. :)
Admittedly the guy (the student) wasn't the brightest... Each day in class we would present a poem we wrote for critique; he chose one that was about his girlfriend, who had apparently committed suicide.  Hofstadter ripped it to shreds.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

So you think he's a douche because he critiqued a bad, but personal, poem that was submitted for critique, instead of giving the guy platitudes because it was a "heart and soul" poem?

:lulz:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

rong

maybe it was all the bad poetry that drove her to it.
"a real smart feller, he felt smart"

Brotep

Quote from: The Lord and Lady Omnibus Fuck on September 04, 2009, 09:39:55 PM
So you think he's a douche because he critiqued a bad, but personal, poem that was submitted for critique, instead of giving the guy platitudes because it was a "heart and soul" poem?

I guess it's more that I thought he was a douche at the time than I do now, and the association of douche was so strong in my mind.

But no.  Not platitudes.  Not heart and soul.  It was a shitty poem for sure, but he didn't just say that--he tore the kid a new asshole.

Quote from: rong on September 04, 2009, 11:37:47 PM
maybe it was all the bad poetry that drove her to it.
Yeah, if only he understood cadence and meter, she would still be with us today.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Anton on September 05, 2009, 07:59:05 AM
Quote from: The Lord and Lady Omnibus Fuck on September 04, 2009, 09:39:55 PM

I guess it's more that I thought he was a douche at the time than I do now, and the association of douche was so strong in my mind.

But no.  Not platitudes.  Not heart and soul.  It was a shitty poem for sure, but he didn't just say that--he tore the kid a new asshole.

Did he tear the kid a new asshole, or did he... as you originally said... rip the poem to shreds?

There is a difference. Picking out every flaw in a poem submitted for critique is not the same as slamming the author. Did he personally slam the kid? Or did he just pick apart the poem, which would, in fact, be his job?
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."