Hey, Lex, I'm gonna tell you a story.

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, October 30, 2009, 05:56:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phox

... This makes me want to cry. Seriously.

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on February 03, 2011, 06:39:23 PM
Quote from: Demolition_Squid on November 01, 2009, 09:09:36 PM
It's never an 'isolated incident', is it?

I mean. When you realize, there were these guys doing that. Then there were the people smuggling them. Then there were the people on the other end. Then there were the people using the product. Then there were the people who, in some way, these events all touched.

This is probably the most important paragraph posted on PD in 2009, and not because it references my OP.

Huh, I never gave it much thought. Applies to pretty much all of the Horror that news likes to package into little stories and let us forget that it is, indeed, never truly isolated. Monsters don't live in a vacuum.

Had to go back and re-read the thread... I don't think I'll ever forget the punch-in-the-gut that came with having it all spelled out.

Don Coyote

Fuck dude. Just fucking fuck. Should not have read that now.

Juana

Jesus Christ, Roger. :mittens: on the OP part and :x on what it was.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Luna

Fuck.

Just, fuck.

ETA:  I wish I had a more eloquent response to this, I really do.  It's not every day you read something that reaches in and rattles your soul.
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Adios

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on November 05, 2009, 06:57:13 PM
Quote from: Cainad on November 05, 2009, 02:49:31 AM
Quote from: Kai on November 01, 2009, 10:21:22 PM
I think I shall vomit and spend the rest of the day rocking back and forth in my bed. Goodnight.

I just joined the club. :x

Roger, I wasn't ready for that.

Anyone who is ready for that needs to have their head examined.  This is why, when my children asked me if there were really any monsters, I told them "Yeah there are, but they look just like you and me."

I first read this in your MSY book and it chilled me to the core.
The bolded part is an everlasting truth.

Kai

This thread is my standard for horror. Fear is one thing; I could jump if someone sneaked up behind me.  Horror isn't quick and instantaneous though, its a deep down feeling that something is really really wrong. No one writes better horror than reality.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

The Wizard

Jesus Christ...I'm so sorry. This shouldn't happen to anyone, ever.

Great piece, but it has teeth...
Insanity we trust.

Precious Moments Zalgo

Thank you, Roger, for shooting those people.

I think I get the whole fear / loathing / horror thing now.
I will answer ANY prayer for $39.95.*

*Unfortunately, I cannot give refunds in the event that the answer is no.

Placid Dingo

Bump because I missed this previously and it's a chilling conversation.
Haven't paid rent since 2014 with ONE WEIRD TRICK.

Cardinal Pizza Deliverance.

Have you ever been close to tragedy
Or been close to folks who have
Have you ever felt pain so powerful,
So heavy you collapse?

No? Well . . .

Never had to, knock on wood.
But I know someone who has,
Which makes me wonder if I could.

- Mighty Mighty Bosstones
Weevil-Infested Badfun Wrongsex Referee From The 9th Earth
Slick and Deranged Wombat of Manhood Questioning
Hulking Dormouse of Lust and DESPAIR™
Gatling Geyser of Rainbow AIDS

"The only way we can ever change anything is to look in the mirror and find no enemy." - Akala  'Find No Enemy'.

EK WAFFLR

It's been around 24 hours since I read this thread.
I slept, but I had terrible nightmares.

I.. don't know what to say.  :cry:
"At first I lifted weights.  But then I asked myself, 'why not people?'  Now everyone runs for the fjord when they see me."

Horribly Oscillating Assbasket of Deliciousness
[/b]

Luna

Quote from: Waffle Iron on February 26, 2012, 11:04:53 AM

I know how you feel.  I'd forgotten how this thread was titled, so I didn't know what it was, and went back to the OP.  Recognized it after a sentence...  I almost just clicked out, but I sat here and read the whole thing, the OP, and all the responses.

There is bad shit in the world, my friend, and sometimes it touches someone we know.  We can't end the world's bad shit, not all of it.  People are fucked up, and some are fucked up in ways that defy any rational understanding.  It might be nice to be able to pretend that shit like this, or worse, is going down...  But, ignoring it won't make it go away.  Maybe nothing will...  at least not until some idiot presses a big red button and we leave the place for the roaches.

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Luna on February 27, 2012, 12:32:14 PM

I know how you feel.  I'd forgotten how this thread was titled, so I didn't know what it was, and went back to the OP.  Recognized it after a sentence...  I almost just clicked out, but I sat here and read the whole thing, the OP, and all the responses.

There is bad shit in the world, my friend, and sometimes it touches someone we know.  We can't end the world's bad shit, not all of it.  People are fucked up, and some are fucked up in ways that defy any rational understanding.  It might be nice to be able to pretend that shit like this, or worse, is going down...  But, ignoring it won't make it go away.  Maybe nothing will...  at least not until some idiot presses a big red button and we leave the place for the roaches.

The amount one person can do to improve things is very limited.  However, doing anything is better than doing nothing...And most times, what needs to be done is far less dramatic than what happened all those years ago.  Sometimes the best thing to do is refuse to tolerate evil in your presence...For example, someone talking racist filth.  Don't just ignore it and walk away disgusted, call them out on it.

It's the little things that generally matter.
Molon Lube

Luna

Quote from: Doktor Howl on February 27, 2012, 05:44:19 PM
Quote from: Luna on February 27, 2012, 12:32:14 PM

The amount one person can do to improve things is very limited.  However, doing anything is better than doing nothing...And most times, what needs to be done is far less dramatic than what happened all those years ago.  Sometimes the best thing to do is refuse to tolerate evil in your presence...For example, someone talking racist filth.  Don't just ignore it and walk away disgusted, call them out on it.

It's the little things that generally matter.

Truth, this. 

Right now, I'm working on some of the crap that needs to be shoveled out of my own head...  There's some stuff in there I don't need any more, and it's gone rancid.