News:

You know what I always say? "Always kill the mouthy one", that's what I always say.

Main Menu

Artificial Black Holes, and crazy amounts of renewable energy

Started by Remington, November 06, 2009, 06:24:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Template

The energy from the hole might be renewable, but by no means free.  The equipment to make it sounds like it would cost dearly--10^9 tonnes of water would occupy a 1-km cube, and even the housing for that would be an unheard-of undertaking.

Black holes seem to have infinite temperature and density at the singularity, but it seems to take forever for anything to get there.  Their mass-energy is finite and pretty easy to measure.  It's the density that's weird.

Remington

Quote from: yhnmzw on November 08, 2009, 04:39:13 AM
The energy from the hole might be renewable, but by no means free.  The equipment to make it sounds like it would cost dearly--10^9 tonnes of water would occupy a 1-km cube, and even the housing for that would be an unheard-of undertaking.

Black holes seem to have infinite temperature and density at the singularity, but it seems to take forever for anything to get there.  Their mass-energy is finite and pretty easy to measure.  It's the density that's weird.
Well, this sort of thing is at least one thousand years in the future, so who knows. The construction of the LHC would have seemed similarly impossible to pre-medieval "scientists".
Is it plugged in?

Template

Quote from: Sir Remington III on November 08, 2009, 05:23:10 AM
Quote from: yhnmzw on November 08, 2009, 04:39:13 AM
The energy from the hole might be renewable, but by no means free.  The equipment to make it sounds like it would cost dearly--10^9 tonnes of water would occupy a 1-km cube, and even the housing for that would be an unheard-of undertaking.

Black holes seem to have infinite temperature and density at the singularity, but it seems to take forever for anything to get there.  Their mass-energy is finite and pretty easy to measure.  It's the density that's weird.
Well, this sort of thing is at least one thousand years in the future, so who knows. The construction of the LHC would have seemed similarly impossible to pre-medieval "scientists".

I disagree about both points.  We're comfortable with most of the top-level concepts, for example.  Black holes, hawking radiation, gamma lasers, solar collection--we're all perfectly fine with these ideas.  It's just that the scales are new, and we've never handled black holes, much less mounted one in a ship.  Also, I don't know if we've ever built a gamma laser, or how to power such a thing (and not destroy it in the process, preferably).

The concepts of the LHC don't fit into a pre-medieval worldview.  Might be able to pull it off through analogy.  They were big into analogy, weren't they?

Less than a thousand years.  If ever.  Assuming we don't kill ourselves or find a better plan.

Rococo Modem Basilisk

Quote from: Triple Zero on November 06, 2009, 11:15:33 PM
About the trash, as soon as we can economically get our trash up there, shooting it in random directions into space works just as well. You don't really need a black hole. Space is pretty big. Just make sure it doesn't stick in our orbit.

That is really hard.

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.