News:

You know what I always say? "Always kill the mouthy one", that's what I always say.

Main Menu

Yeah, LMNO, so this Patrick Henry freak...

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, November 18, 2009, 03:55:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

Well that's the thing.  I have been considering it might just be easier for us to scout a place, have one of us roll up, get them established and then have them ask if anyone minded if they invited a couple of friends, since they thought they might like the place.

It's something to discuss, anyway.  And we certainly have enough people to split us in two and try the more low-key approach on one series of sites, and the more spectacular one on another, and see how it works or why it fails, both contextually and overall.

Cramulus

I'm liking this energy--
it sounds like a more effective take on "project infiltration"

can we crystalize the goal a little bit? The idea here, as I'm reading it, isn't to directly undermine anybody or anything. It would be really hard to buck the dominant paradigm (of anything) through forum posts alone. It sounds like the goal here is to create or strengthen a subversive network. Which might be of use later?

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Cain on November 23, 2009, 08:23:47 PM
Well that's the thing.  I have been considering it might just be easier for us to scout a place, have one of us roll up, get them established and then have them ask if anyone minded if they invited a couple of friends, since they thought they might like the place.

It's something to discuss, anyway.  And we certainly have enough people to split us in two and try the more low-key approach on one series of sites, and the more spectacular one on another, and see how it works or why it fails, both contextually and overall.

I like this a lot.

- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

The Wizard

Wonderful. So, what would be the end purpose of this network?
Insanity we trust.

Cain

Quote from: Cramulus on November 23, 2009, 08:27:01 PM
It sounds like the goal here is to create or strengthen a subversive network. Which might be of use later?

That's it, pretty much.  Create a network and create mutually beneficial relationships, get a discussion going about possible solutions...and let things go from there.  The aim would be to try and get across, say, some of the worldview of this place to groups receptive to it (at least, until we get better at it) and, if they agree with our basic criticisms, see what ideas they come up with.

The actual work would likely take place IRL, of course.  But part of kicking that off involves creating the subversive bazaar online first.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Dr. James Semaj on November 23, 2009, 08:32:55 PM
Wonderful. So, what would be the end purpose of this network?

Did you even read the thread?
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Wizard

Wait a second. Oh. My bad. Missed that part. Okay then, I retract the question.
Insanity we trust.

Cain

Please, gentlemen, no fighting.  This is, after all, a council of war.

Cramulus

This seems to go hand in hand with this project idea we've been kicking around for a while. I don't want to go too far in depth for risk of threadjack -- but the idea is:

We have all these resources here at PD. Literally hundreds of pages of great content, fresh ideas, incredible energy. The problem is that it's contained in forum threads. This makes the data somewhat arcane.

The trick, I think, is to make it accessible to the "newcomer" to Discord. How to operationalize our content for outsiders.

Even if we are totally lazy,
even if we scare off every newbie that registers at PD,
even if most of us throw in the towel and quit discord forever,
some newbie should be able to browse through an article archive and pick up where we left off.

I mean, nothing we develop seems to need central leadership. We are all about the decentralized revolution. So we need to give these tools to people so they can begin their own branches of it.

After 23ae relaunches, I'd like to start putting together a "best of the PD forums" collection which we can repost.

This will take a lot of work because it will involve rewriting a lot of stuff to look like articles, rather than forum conversations.

But a resource like that would be ideal fertilizer for a subversive network. There is such a spectrum of interests here at PD, I'm sure we could attract any subversive personality by linking them to the proper riff.

The difficulty is in operationalizing our data, moving it to another platform. Is it possible? Is it worth the effort?

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Cain

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on November 23, 2009, 08:49:03 PM
Quote from: Cain on November 23, 2009, 08:46:09 PM
Please, gentlemen, no fighting.  This is, after all, a council of war.

Heh.

I've always wanted to use that line in context.  I had to take my chance, for it may never come again.

Cram, that does sound like a good idea because, not just on it's own merits but because once we have those discussions compressed and reformatted, they become re-usable on other sites as well, not just 23ae.  That comes back to replication, as mentioned before.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Cramulus on November 23, 2009, 08:48:24 PM
This seems to go hand in hand with this project idea we've been kicking around for a while. I don't want to go too far in depth for risk of threadjack -- but the idea is:

We have all these resources here at PD. Literally hundreds of pages of great content, fresh ideas, incredible energy. The problem is that it's contained in forum threads. This makes the data somewhat arcane.

The trick, I think, is to make it accessible to the "newcomer" to Discord. How to operationalize our content for outsiders.

some newbie should be able to browse through an article archive and pick up where we left off.

I mean, nothing we develop seems to need central leadership. We are all about the decentralized revolution. So we need to give these tools to people so they can begin their own branches of it.

After 23ae relaunches, I'd like to start putting together a "best of the PD forums" collection which we can repost.

This will take a lot of work because it will involve rewriting a lot of stuff to look like articles, rather than forum conversations.

But a resource like that would be ideal fertilizer for a subversive network. There is such a spectrum of interests here at PD, I'm sure we could attract any subversive personality by linking them to the proper riff.

The difficulty is in operationalizing our data, moving it to another platform. Is it possible? Is it worth the effort?

Everything here is text in a database somewhere. Manipulating it is possible, its just a matter of determining what's worth manipulating and modifying. I think some of the early Intermittens stuff seemed to be a good first stab at the concept. Maybe a different Magazine "PD Archives" or something would be an appropriate vehicle for it?
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Remington

I'd certainly be up for helping compile PD's creative content.

It'd be valuable for the infiltration project, but I think with a couple tweaks it could also produce some great volumes of Discordian thought (ala Principia Discordia or Black Iron Prison). It would also be an awesome resource for posterGASMs, new Discordians, any pretty much everyone else. I'll think on the subject a bit more, and post a thread in Think for Yourself to start collecting/categorizing stuff.
Is it plugged in?

Triple Zero

Yes. I really need to find a post-tagging plugin for SMF, that would be a great start. And if there isn't one I might have to write one myself (it's not that hard, and worth the effort IMO).

Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

The EncycloPDia Project.

I like it. It sounds like one helluva labor though.

Link to a new thread?
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A