News:

If it quacks like a sociopath, but also ponders its own sociopathy, it's probably just an asshole.

Main Menu

Magic: Who thinks they can do it, and why otherwise intelligent people buy it.

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, December 29, 2009, 08:46:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Freeky

Jasper

Anyone ever notice how Japan has sort of hijacked youth culture with anime?

Just throwing that out there.

Cain

Felix, it was pretty deliberate too.  Japanese companies flooded the American market with pirated copies of old anime and first seasons of new programs in the 90s in order to create a demand for it.  Obviously, when you give out a lot of free stuff, people think "why not give it a go", and then they get hooked, and then you introduce the pay-for versions and new seasons.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cain

LMNO

I want a doctor to take your picture so I can see you from the inside as well.

Jasper

:lol:

Well, we nuked them like twice.  It's not like we didn't have it coming.

President Television

My shit list: Stephen Harper, anarchists that complain about taxes instead of institutionalized torture, those people walking, anyone who lets a single aspect of themselves define their entire personality, salesmen that don't smoke pipes, Fredericton New Brunswick, bigots, philosophy majors, my nemesis, pirates that don't do anything, criminals without class, sociopaths, narcissists, furries, juggalos, foes.

Freeky

Golden Applesauce

Only for about an episode at the end.

On the other hand, there are plenty of shows that really are sad, the whole way through, not in the "plot is a tragedy" sense, but in the "I despair because some human being actually approved this scenario/script/series" sad.  (And this goes for every kind of media, naturally.)
Q: How regularly do you hire 8th graders?
A: We have hired a number of FORMER 8th graders.

Freeky

Ok, you have a point. Only the end episode was sad. Mostly. But I can't watch it anymore without going "OMG he DIESSSSS!!!!!! :x "

President Television

My shit list: Stephen Harper, anarchists that complain about taxes instead of institutionalized torture, those people walking, anyone who lets a single aspect of themselves define their entire personality, salesmen that don't smoke pipes, Fredericton New Brunswick, bigots, philosophy majors, my nemesis, pirates that don't do anything, criminals without class, sociopaths, narcissists, furries, juggalos, foes.

Jasper

Quote from: Shrunkenheadspace on January 29, 2010, 08:26:19 PM
I repeat:
Quote from: Shrunkenheadspace on January 29, 2010, 08:19:51 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIO4Uw36-JE
:lulz:
This is all you ever need to know about anime.

There are a handful that don't suck.  No more than maybe 8 out of the hundreds (thousands?) that America imported though, so it's kind of a moot point.

President Television

Quote from: Sigmatic on January 31, 2010, 04:25:39 AM
Quote from: Shrunkenheadspace on January 29, 2010, 08:26:19 PM
I repeat:
Quote from: Shrunkenheadspace on January 29, 2010, 08:19:51 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIO4Uw36-JE
:lulz:
This is all you ever need to know about anime.

There are a handful that don't suck.  No more than maybe 8 out of the hundreds (thousands?) that America imported though, so it's kind of a moot point.

That one sucked? I thought it was hilarious.

Jasper

It was amusing I guess, but I've become extremely snobbish about anime since there's just way too much that is no good. 

Felix,
I used to like anime for itself.  When I was still a child.