News:

Testimonial: "It's just honestly sad that a place like this exists"

Main Menu

The Fun Theory

Started by Chief Uwachiquen, January 02, 2010, 11:33:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chief Uwachiquen

Found this while strolling around the interwebs instead of sleeping.

http://www.uphaa.com/blog/index.php/fun-theory/

I personally think it's kind of awesome what they're doing.

NotPublished

It is an interesting project.. though I don't know, if it takes fun for people to do things, could that be damaging to alot of other principles?
In Soviet Russia, sins died for Jesus.

The Johnny

The piano stairs are cool.

But, theres a behaviorist principle behind it; "group A" does desired "action X", which always disgusts me, because its manipulation.

Also, depending on whos designing it, it has the potential to be annoying.
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

NotPublished

But alot of things are always going to be manipulation, people have a vision - they share that vision, and they give steps how to get there

The Johnny

Also, for most of these things, when the novelty wears off, the effect also does.
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

The Johnny

Quote from: NotPublished on January 02, 2010, 11:55:19 AM
But alot of things are always going to be manipulation, people have a vision - they share that vision, and they give steps how to get there

Im gonna make a distinction between overt and covert manipulation:

The Machinetm is all about overt manipulation, in the sense that it has power and tells you what you should do in order to get certain benefits and avoid certain punishments.

While publicists/marketers (by fuck, the scourge of this earth), do covert manipulation in the sense that they target your desires and quirks within the symbolical order of your desires and fears.

-B.F. Skinner

The Johnny

Also, adding to my point: this is just a frivolous marketing scheme by Volkswagen to get a good image with all the fucking ecologist yuppies that think the world is gonna be a better place by doing insignificant things like picking up others trash along their way and "keeping healthy" by walking 20 stairsteps.

-B.F. Skinner

The Johnny

IM GONNA CHANGE THE WORLD
                                                                  BECAUSE IM SUBVERSIVE;
                                                                      I LIKE VOLKSWAGEN
                                                                                     /
                                                                                    /
                                                                                   /
                                                                                  /

-B.F. Skinner

NotPublished

:lulz:

Quote from: JohNyx on January 02, 2010, 12:00:07 PM
Quote from: NotPublished on January 02, 2010, 11:55:19 AM

Im gonna make a distinction between overt and covert manipulation:

The Machinetm is all about overt manipulation, in the sense that it has power and tells you what you should do in order to get certain benefits and avoid certain punishments.

While publicists/marketers (by fuck, the scourge of this earth), do covert manipulation in the sense that they target your desires and quirks within the symbolical order of your desires and fears.

I really like the distinctions you've put out there, I'm gonna go eat a Klondike bar.

Reginald Ret

if stuff is more fun then more people will do it?
well yeah, duh.

its a good method of getting people to do what should be done anyway.
though it might shift people's personalities towards that of Eloi. where they flat out to refuse to do something because it is not made fun enough, nomatter that it still needs to be done.

it can make people even more dependent on the machine
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"