News:

Your innocence proves nothing.

Main Menu

Started by Brotep, January 11, 2010, 07:28:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Epimetheus

The stupid thing about this is...ok, well, everything about this is stupid. But I don't get how these people can honestly hate the human race or 'Western' society after seeing Avatar - because they seem to accept intellectually that it's just a movie. And it's a movie completely crafted BY HUMANS, IN THE WESTERN WORLD.
people make me so  :mad:
POST-SINGULARITY POCKET ORGASM TOAD OF RIGHTEOUSNESS

Captain Utopia

Quote from: Brotep on January 12, 2010, 06:53:26 PM
Quote from: FP on January 12, 2010, 06:33:07 PM
I'll let you know in about 5 hours after I get back. Last thing I saw in imax was AI... it's been a while ;-)

:lulz:  Thanks, I knew I could count on you.
What ended up happening is that all the computer generated stuff looked more "real" than the live-action stuff - sets and props just looked like plastic and chipboard with stickers and flashy lights. So during the entire movie I felt completely un-blazed, despite more-than-adequate preparations  :argh!:

Though I have an idea why audiences and the vatican are going crazy about it.. trope-wise it's completely over-loaded, but expertly crafted together. Stealing a thought from the "narratives" thread - religions tend to claim some of the most evocative stories for themselves.. and from that perspective Avatar can be made to look like it's promoting a secular religion.. in a manner more compelling than anything a church has to offer.

Many of the tropes I had fun recognising, and others I found myself vulnerable to regardless. I'm not too ashamed to admit that I laughed in places and teared up in others. In terms of memes and pop-culture references and coffee-table psych, I predict it'll be about the same as The Matrix.

Quote from: Epimetheus on January 13, 2010, 02:14:08 AM
The stupid thing about this is...ok, well, everything about this is stupid. But I don't get how these people can honestly hate the human race or 'Western' society after seeing Avatar - because they seem to accept intellectually that it's just a movie. And it's a movie completely crafted BY HUMANS, IN THE WESTERN WORLD.
My guess would be simple them vs. us - there were a bunch of "honourable" humans in the film, and plenty of OTT caricatures to boo and hiss at.

Epimetheus

It's funny...the religions of the exploited are always held more highly by wannabe hippie nincompoops than the ruling religions...

Actually, in a different light, FP, I would say that the bad guys in Avatar were being too secular and not respecting the sacredness of life and that. I mean, the bad guys didn't have any religion. The Na'vi, though, were utterly religious (although it had a natural basis).
POST-SINGULARITY POCKET ORGASM TOAD OF RIGHTEOUSNESS

The Johnny

Which group would the Vatican prefer?:

Burguoise atheists vs. revolting heretics pagans

Finally we have an answer for this long unanswered hypothetical !!!
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Fredfredly ⊂(◉‿◉)つ

i thought it was a nice shiny movie and enjoyed all the blue things popping out at me
and i wont let my enjoyment be ruined by what a bunch of depressed hippie retards on a forum said  :argh!:

Captain Utopia

Quote from: Epimetheus on January 13, 2010, 02:30:37 AM
It's funny...the religions of the exploited are always held more highly by wannabe hippie nincompoops than the ruling religions...

Actually, in a different light, FP, I would say that the bad guys in Avatar were being too secular and not respecting the sacredness of life and that. I mean, the bad guys didn't have any religion. The Na'vi, though, were utterly religious (although it had a natural basis).

This is also why Kai's talk about an emergence-based religion excites me - once you take paranormal out of the list of requirements, by creating an alternative belief-system without it - the old-school religions loose ground. The Na'vi had a God constructed from a giant neural net (?), which to all intents and purposes was superior to any concept of a God we've been given - they could communicate with it as easily and trivially as a generation today checks twitter on their mobile phones.

The bad guys were just dicks - I really think it is the religious aspect rather than the secular one which is perceived as more of a threat by other belief systems.

Maybe "secular religion" was a stupid term for me to use..

Brotep

Quote from: FP on January 13, 2010, 02:25:34 AM
Quote from: Brotep on January 12, 2010, 06:53:26 PM
Quote from: FP on January 12, 2010, 06:33:07 PM
I'll let you know in about 5 hours after I get back. Last thing I saw in imax was AI... it's been a while ;-)

:lulz:  Thanks, I knew I could count on you.
What ended up happening is that all the computer generated stuff looked more "real" than the live-action stuff - sets and props just looked like plastic and chipboard with stickers and flashy lights. So during the entire movie I felt completely un-blazed, despite more-than-adequate preparations  :argh!:

Though I have an idea why audiences and the vatican are going crazy about it.. trope-wise it's completely over-loaded, but expertly crafted together. Stealing a thought from the "narratives" thread - religions tend to claim some of the most evocative stories for themselves.. and from that perspective Avatar can be made to look like it's promoting a secular religion.. in a manner more compelling than anything a church has to offer.

Many of the tropes I had fun recognising, and others I found myself vulnerable to regardless. I'm not too ashamed to admit that I laughed in places and teared up in others. In terms of memes and pop-culture references and coffee-table psych, I predict it'll be about the same as The Matrix.

Quote from: Epimetheus on January 13, 2010, 02:14:08 AM
My guess would be simple them vs. us - there were a bunch of "honourable" humans in the film, and plenty of OTT caricatures to boo and hiss at.

God, I hope it doesn't end up being the next Matrix.  That got pretty annoying.

So how many blank stares would you give it, out of five?

Eater of Clowns

You could pretty much get all the enjoyment possible out of Avatar by blocking your ears.  It's purely a visual experience, and one that I thought was fairly impressive in IMAX 3D.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Brotep

So basically Avatar is that smokin' hot pseudointellectual that you didn't invite over to talk with?

NotPublished

Just go watch it, who cares what others say. If you like it - you do, if you hate it - you do.

Just take a friend that you can easily get amused with, if your somewhat bored just start making fun of people.

I know I enjoyed the movie, and it helped that I found the main actor a bit of eye candy .. I got sad when he became one of them :(
In Soviet Russia, sins died for Jesus.

Fredfredly ⊂(◉‿◉)つ

the human lead guy in it is hawt.  :fap: :fap: :fap:

NotPublished

WHY DID HE HAVE TO TURN?!

If I met him I'd jump him :(

Fredfredly ⊂(◉‿◉)つ

NotPublished

Fredfredly ⊂(◉‿◉)つ

NO. I SAID HE WAS HAWT FIRST  :argh!: