News:

In North Korea, this forum wouldn't be banned, it would be revered and taught in schools as a palatable and preferable version of Western history. And in many ways, that's all the truth the children of North Korea need

Main Menu

Nerd Dilemma...

Started by Suu, February 13, 2010, 05:59:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Suu

So.

I was planning on going to Florida for Megacon, which is a ginormous comic book show in Orlando, this is March 12-14th.

The 501st is trooping a Shuttle launch on the 18th, and the day after there's also a troop in Dunedin practically around the corner from my parent's house.

The Shuttle launch may already be getting pushed back, as rollout isn't starting until the 22nd of this month (it literally takes them nearly a month to roll the Shuttle to the pad.)

I cannot afford 2 weeks in Florida. It's bad enough that our driving plans have been scratched because of car issues with the Leviathan (GS's Jeep). And if I travel with my Royal Guard, the only other way I can do it is to take the train, which right now is cheaper than flying, but it allows me to transport my more delicate bits easier without worrying about them getting thrown into the belly of a plane.

HELP ME PEEDEE DOT COM YOU ARE MY ONLY HOPE
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

President Television

How often does Megacon occur? Is it an annual thing? If so, I'd say the shuttle is a bigger priority. But that's just me.
My shit list: Stephen Harper, anarchists that complain about taxes instead of institutionalized torture, those people walking, anyone who lets a single aspect of themselves define their entire personality, salesmen that don't smoke pipes, Fredericton New Brunswick, bigots, philosophy majors, my nemesis, pirates that don't do anything, criminals without class, sociopaths, narcissists, furries, juggalos, foes.

Suu

What it's coming down to is this...

The Shuttle launch is going to be an official member troop only. That means if I go, my family and friends can't come with me. So GS can't get into the same areas I can. Going to Florida is a bit up in arms for him right now as it is because he needs to start working ASAP, and asking for a week off is going to be tricky. If he can get it and we can afford it, then we're going, but going only for the con, since he can't go to the Cape with me. If he can't go, then I'm skipping the con, and then going to the launch.

It'll suck when I'm down there for the con and can't stay for the launch, but since they may be pushing back the date, well, I don't have much of a choice. I can only wait so long before I book tickets.

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Suu

Quote from: Horrendous Foreign Love Stoat on February 13, 2010, 06:21:32 AM
how come your mates cannot come along?

that seems pretty fuckin rubbish to me. It's that kind of shit that makes me not join any troops or bother taking my love of the stormtrooper past aesthetics.

I'd pick star wars and shuttle launch, if not for the fact that comic con with mates, sounds like much more fun, even though, shuttle lauch+starwars= so very very cool, but, IMO doing things with freinds always wins out over cool, and usually in hindsight is moreso.

Because when we become full members of the 501st, we sell our souls we enter an agreement that certain troops are for official full members only, and those troops are typically the high-profile/Lucasfilm is watching you ones. So if they let just anyone in, you'll have the potential for the Bathrobe Jedi and Rubies Stormtroopers walking around instead of screen accurate costumes.

Allow me to demonstrate.

501st Stormtrooper:

Rubies Stormtrooper:

Rebel Legion approved Jedi:
http://www.omahajedi.com/images/Obi-Wan/Robi-Wan%205.jpg (big)

...Bad inaccurate unhemmed excuse of a Jedi:
http://leiasw.free.fr/Jedi1.jpg (big)

And trust me, there are always the bad ones that try to come in and say they're with us and get us in a shit load of trouble too.

Sir Squid Diddimus

I might be bias because I've seen so many launches, but I'd have to choose the con.

I'd give a long explanation for it, but pffff, nobody wants to hear me bitch about the cape.

Con would be more fun I think. Just my opinion.

the last yatto

Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit

Quote from: Suu on February 13, 2010, 06:13:31 AM

The Shuttle launch is going to be an official member troop only. That means if I go, my family and friends can't come with me. So GS can't get into the same areas I can. Going to Florida is a bit up in arms for him right now as it is because he needs to start working ASAP, and asking for a week off is going to be tricky. If he can get it and we can afford it, then we're going, but going only for the con, since he can't go to the Cape with me. If he can't go, then I'm skipping the con, and then going to the launch.

It'll suck when I'm down there for the con and can't stay for the launch, but since they may be pushing back the date, well, I don't have much of a choice. I can only wait so long before I book tickets.

I actually probably am not going to be able to go at all. A week off from work means losing money I need to pay for an apartment.

Suu

Quote from: Horrendous Foreign Love Stoat on February 13, 2010, 10:05:14 AM
QuoteAllow me to demonstrate.

501st Stormtrooper:

Yeah, I've seen Syn's in person. Its. So. Fucking. Sweet. He let me wear the helmet.  :fap:

QuoteSo if they let just anyone in, you'll have the potential for the Bathrobe Jedi and Rubies Stormtroopers walking around instead of screen accurate costumes.

Ah, I Get it. Still think it's kinda shitty that your none costumed friends could not come and check out the parade bit from a distance and then hang with you after if they agreed not to make your awesome shit look all fail.

I'm sure that things will get a lot better for good craftsmen for authentic looking cheap shit when 3d printers and 3d scanners really take off, and at the same time make more spurious shitty looking things common. sooo i dunno there. sword of fire and all that.

Oh they can check it out from a distance, we just get extended security clearance.

Suu

Quote from: General Anthrohilter von Ignorantdikk on February 13, 2010, 02:04:43 PM
Quote from: Suu on February 13, 2010, 06:13:31 AM

I actually probably am not going to be able to go at all. A week off from work means losing money I need to pay for an apartment.

Which is why with Megacon we could still do the Thursday-Tuesday special, but my mom and sister will be in Texas and you won't meet them. And we could just do like a day of the con on Saturday and then go to the BARF on Sunday, because knowing my sister's boyfriend, he'll be all  up for getting shitfaced and beating the snot out of my kilted brother again...but if we take the train, that takes 2 days each way... :x

Shai Hulud

Hey, Suu, what did you ending up deciding about this?  I've got a table in Artist Alley at MegaCon this year.

Richter

I'd vote Con too.  Shuttle launches are finicky.  I mean, it'd be COOL if it was going on while you were there, and could work it in, but traveling specif. for it could bust.
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Suu

Quote from: Guy Incognito on March 09, 2010, 02:17:12 PM
Hey, Suu, what did you ending up deciding about this?  I've got a table in Artist Alley at MegaCon this year.

I voted moving out and getting an apartment instead of going to Florida at all.

The Dark Monk

Quote from: Suu on March 09, 2010, 03:35:29 PM

Wise choice, Florida is just a graveyard for over-tanned old people.
I thought this is all there is,
but now I know you are so much more.
I want to upgrade from my simple eight bits,
but will you still love me when I'm sixty-four?
~MIAB~

Suu

I'll be down in June, August, and for either Thanksgiving or Christmas. I can miss March, my allergies HERE are already bad enough, I'd be dying down there.

Sir Squid Diddimus

Pollen is BAD right now.
Yellow windshield  :argh!:

I might check out your stuff.

Quote from: The Dark Monk on March 09, 2010, 03:36:56 PM
Quote from: Suu on March 09, 2010, 03:35:29 PM

Wise choice, Florida is just a graveyard for over-tanned old people.

Hey now. That's only about 45% of the population right now. Don't forget the over-tanned college girls, transplants from other states who don't know how to drive and rednecks.

Then there's me.