News:

Bigotry is abound, apprently, within these boards.  There is a level of supposed tolerance I will have no part of.  Obviously, it seems to be well-embraced here.  I have finally found something more fucked up than what I'm used to.  Congrats. - Ruby

Main Menu

Immortal Jellyfish!

Started by Suu, March 19, 2010, 04:07:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nephew Twiddleton

Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Nephew Twiddleton

Ok, so let me phrase it this way.

These immortal jellyfish don't have brains. Let say that they get them (brains) without otherwise changing ability and are capable of learning. When they revert back to their immature state, would they then forget everything? And if the answer is that they would die instantly, how? This is supposed to grant immortality to the jellyfish. I used primates as an example because of their brains.

Captain Utopia

If consciousness and memory is, indeed, an emergent property of the structure and interconnection of neurons within the brain, then yes - it'd forget everything.  If consciousness is like a piece of string turned around with a knot and, or trefoil, or an antenna or a magic soul, then no - mr jellyfish would remember everything, including to return that library book on time, but would live happily ever after, and after.

Take your pick.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Captain Utopia on June 29, 2010, 02:54:46 PM
If consciousness and memory is, indeed, an emergent property of the structure and interconnection of neurons within the brain, then yes - it'd forget everything.  If consciousness is like a piece of string turned around with a knot and, or trefoil, or an antenna or a magic soul, then no - mr jellyfish would remember everything, including to return that library book on time, but would live happily ever after, and after.

Take your pick.

Thanks. NotPublished's post seemed to be asking the question and got brushed off with "they don't have brains", which unless I'm wrong, wasn't the point.

Triple Zero

Quote from: LMNO on June 29, 2010, 02:26:33 PM
Would a blue dream sneeze like an ashtray?

FUCK YOU MY PENDULUM DIED OF WRENCH CURDS
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: NotPublished on June 29, 2010, 02:52:34 AM
what animals eat jelly fish?

My daughter eats jellyfish. She says it's delicious.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Nigel on June 29, 2010, 09:11:25 PM
Quote from: NotPublished on June 29, 2010, 02:52:34 AM
what animals eat jelly fish?

My daughter eats jellyfish. She says it's delicious.

Wish I knew. I have a no-seafood policy. Can't stomach the smells.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Regret on June 29, 2010, 02:29:19 PM
This.
twid: Your question makes no sense.
Even if you somehow manage to force it to happen, your subject would die. Instantly.

It makes perfect sense. Rephrase it like this: If somehow our DNA changed to include an aging process that was regenerative instead of degenerative, would we lose all previously stored information as our brains went through the changes of renewing to a childlike state?

Possibly, depending on how the brain handled those changes. It's also possible that the brain would regenerate in stages, and memories would simply be transferred to new cell growth. Since it's all hypothetical, any possibility exists.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Elder Iptuous

Well, i can say with some authority that i regularly return to an immature state, and I forget tons of shit, like, all the time.

so, yes.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Nigel on June 29, 2010, 09:16:40 PM
Quote from: Regret on June 29, 2010, 02:29:19 PM
This.
twid: Your question makes no sense.
Even if you somehow manage to force it to happen, your subject would die. Instantly.

It makes perfect sense. Rephrase it like this: If somehow our DNA changed to include an aging process that was regenerative instead of degenerative, would we lose all previously stored information as our brains went through the changes of renewing to a childlike state?

Possibly, depending on how the brain handled those changes. It's also possible that the brain would regenerate in stages, and memories would simply be transferred to new cell growth. Since it's all hypothetical, any possibility exists.

This. Thanks.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Nigel on June 29, 2010, 10:26:17 PM
You're welcome!

:)

Sometimes my scientifically illiterate mind misses "hypothetical"

Maybe I should go pure Creationist and go, "look, dudes, it's just a theory"

NotPublished

Quote from: Nephew Twiddleton on June 29, 2010, 02:57:32 PM

Take your pick.

Thanks. NotPublished's post seemed to be asking the question and got brushed off with "they don't have brains", which unless I'm wrong, wasn't the point.

yup that was what I was asking

cheers :)
In Soviet Russia, sins died for Jesus.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: NotPublished on June 29, 2010, 11:01:13 PM
Quote from: Nephew Twiddleton on June 29, 2010, 02:57:32 PM

Take your pick.

yup that was what I was asking

cheers :)

Nigel phrased it better than I did, but :cheers:

It is an interesting question when you think about it.

NotPublished

Unfotunately I think everything would of been forgotten (If a complex structure with a brain did the reverse age thingy etc), unless there comes a time and age where you can store your brain on a MySQL database :lol:

Since well-developed brain parts would be going to mush and not operate in the same way; then they would be accessed differently, wouldn't they? Unless it is as nigel says - it could be possible that things will return in stages as the brain develops.

What is the age the brain stops fully growing? I understand brain plasticity is constantly changing, but is there an age where it just stops 'growing' like our bodies?
In Soviet Russia, sins died for Jesus.