News:

Christians *have* to sin.
If they don't, it's like Christ died for nothing.

Main Menu

Free Will

Started by Placid Dingo, March 19, 2010, 01:10:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elder Iptuous

Quote from: Doktor Howl on March 23, 2010, 03:49:45 PM
Cram has a point.  If you're a determinist, it means you're just trying to duck out on responsibility.

Some here may view themselves as automatons just playing out a predetermined role.  That's pretty fucking sad, and no way for a biped to live.

why is it sad?  since it doesn't make our actions predictable, then it doesn't remove any of the magic, beauty, horror, etc. of our lives, actions, and world.
further, i don't see any good reason why it would reduce responsibility...

ETA: are you done poomping?

Kai

Quote from: MMIX on March 23, 2010, 02:38:41 PM
Quote from: Kai on March 23, 2010, 02:04:32 PM
Quote from: Cramulus on March 23, 2010, 01:56:28 PM
while I'd like to respond to your well crafted point, I have better things to do than get screeched at

:lulz: I think it's funny you think I'm screeching.

Your post sounds like your screeching and  you obviously don't want to discuss why some of us feel that the classic free-will v :fnord: s predestination debate is still significant . . .  that would be because it underpins centuries of MEMESTM on which our contemporary values, beliefs, views etc etc depend. It is your history and probably in the medium term its your future. You don't like it - tough

:lulz: I don't care if you discuss "free will vs determinism". I just think it's a really stupid argument, sorta like "what is the square root of zucchini" and "how many licks does it take to get to the tootsie roll center of a tootsie pop". And I feel completely free to poke tones of fun at it.

If you were talking about "free will" in a historical context maybe it would be interesting, but in the modern era it belongs with those ideas such as the celestial spheres and the scala natura. It might have had meaning within the idea of Heaven and Hell, the great fall, and a sky creator deity which caused a separation of mind and body (lol cartesian duality), but in the context of educated humans in this time it's like talking about geography in the context of a flat earth.

And flat earthers are entertaining to poke at.  :lulz:
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Doktor Howl

I haven't bothered with MMIX's posts since she decided that everything, everywhere had to involve memes.

I sort of have her pegged as the latest version of Merlyn of Chaos.
Molon Lube

Dimocritus

The reason I find this so interesting is that I've never heard most of these arguments before or thought about it on the level you guys are. Where's a good place to look for information on some of the theories you guys are talking about? I'd like to check it out, I've never looked at physics (ie. science in general) or anything like that when concerning something like free-will. Also, the argument that free-will exists mainly due to religious arguments of free-will vs. predestination strikes me as interesting, and I'd like to catch up to the same level you guys are at. I want to understand this.
HOUSE OF GABCab ~ "caecus plumbum caecus"

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

Cain

FUCK YOU KAI, YOU'LL TAKE MY SCALA NATURAE FROM MY COLD, DEAD HANDS.

Clearly it makes sense to categorize the bald eagle as an "avian primate".  Any argument otherwise is pernicious, superfluous nonsense.

Jasper

Laplace's Demon think he so clever.

Could he outsmart me?  Maybe.   Maybe.

But could he outsmart BULLET?

[/TF2 "Heavy Weapons Guy"]

LMNO

Quote from: dimo on March 23, 2010, 04:57:27 PM
Where's a good place to look for information on some of the theories you guys are talking about?

Oddly enough, PD.com.  Do some thread diving.

also, WHAT'S THE SQUARE ROOT OF ZUCCHINI?

MMIX

Quote from: LMNO on March 23, 2010, 07:01:13 PM
Quote from: dimo on March 23, 2010, 04:57:27 PM
Where's a good place to look for information on some of the theories you guys are talking about?

Oddly enough, PD.com.  Do some thread diving.

also, WHAT'S THE SQUARE ROOT OF ZUCCHINI?

42 -

MMIX refuses to take such things seriously :wink:
"The ultimate hidden truth of the world is that it is something we make and could just as easily make differently" David Graeber

Elder Iptuous

after extensive google image searching, i have determined that zuchini's do not, in fact, have square roots.
they look just like any other roots....
i'm disappointed.
:cry:

Kai

If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

MMIX

Quote from: Doktor Howl on March 23, 2010, 04:57:20 PM
I haven't bothered with MMIX's posts since she decided that everything, everywhere had to involve memes.

I sort of have her pegged as the latest version of Merlyn of Chaos.

Thats only because you obviously can't remember Merlin of Chaos' posting style any better than you could Daruko's when you thought I was him . . .   :wink:

Nice spot with the meme thing btw,  I keep hoping someone will push back or engage with the meme thing because I can't quite focus my thinking on it . . .
"The ultimate hidden truth of the world is that it is something we make and could just as easily make differently" David Graeber

Rococo Modem Basilisk

Quote from: Kai on March 23, 2010, 02:54:31 AM"Like, lets sit around getting high and fap about completely unecessary metaphysical concepts."

This is my hobby.

It beats scrapbooking.

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

Elder Iptuous

Quote from: Enki v. 2.0 on March 23, 2010, 09:58:30 PM
Quote from: Kai on March 23, 2010, 02:54:31 AM"Like, lets sit around getting high and fap about completely unecessary metaphysical concepts."

This is my hobby.

It beats scrapbooking.
You're OK by me, Enki
:)

Triple Zero

Quote from: Enki v. 2.0 on March 23, 2010, 09:58:30 PM

This is my hobby.

It beats scrapbooking.

:spittake:
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.