News:

PD.com: We're not actually discordians

Main Menu

Discordian Activities

Started by Cramulus, March 31, 2010, 02:50:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cramulus

ITT, we're going to list "Discordian Activities".

The intent is to be able to pull stuff from this thread in the creation of an Intermittens article / issue called "Playbook". Please note that I am not committed to this yet, but if I do make it, I want to have some material to draw on. So here's where you come in - we're going to come up with activities that you can do at home or with your cabal which are "Discordian" in nature. This means whatever you'd like it to mean.

What I'm looking for: one to two paragraphs of text, tops. Could be as small as a few lines. You can also phrase your answer in the form of an anecdote. After reading this article, you should be excited to go get your friends and go have some fun.

What I'm not looking for: suggestions which are impossible, dangerous, or stupid. Remember the "101 ways to make everybody's day weirder" thread? It rapidly turned into "101 ways to make everybody think you're mentally unstable and avoid you."

You get bonus points if you attach an image

It's okay to recycle text from other projects

Everything in this thread will be released into the public domain.

PeregrineBF

Jasper

I've been toying with the idea of organizing groups for costumed random walks.

For example, get ten gorilla suits and ten clown costumes, and get people to wander about town in a big posse of clown gorillas.

Also, hazmat suits (with nothing underneath?), paper gowns and IV drip thingies, zombies, etc.

For added awesome, you could put the costumes in backpacks, and have flash mobs of these show up out of bathrooms.

-----

Another idea I had a while ago:  Set up small mp3 players (like the zen stone) to play eerie, strange, or confusing noises in the forest or parks at night time.  Once you have your track, you could put the mp3 player on a string and hang it well out of reach in a tree. 

Hours of fun.

-----

Did you see that cardboard thing in the unlimited consumer whore appreciation thread?  Why not make cardboard forms like that shaped like dead bodies?   You could populate a whole forest with little mounds of grass shaped like bodies strewn all over the place.  In combination with the spooky mp3 player in the forest, this could be a pretty good prank.

----

The idea machine has self-deactivated for the moment.  More later, maybe.

Freeky

Car fliering. Write an apology for something vague, stick it under a windshield wiper. Or you could take instructions for young children's toys, or electronics, and stick them under other people's windshield wipers.

Please to note: This works best the LESS you do it in a small area at any one time. One or two per grocery store parking lot, for instance, is a pretty good number.

Captain Utopia

I often enjoy making up games to play with random objects.  So how about this - invite some spags over, and get each of them to bring a couple of random things of their own choosing - e.g. a pack of ping-pong balls, network cable, a hat-stand, a bowl of jello, etc.  Duct tape should be provided by the host.  Then you make up some rules.. um.. okay - in this instance I'd give the bowl to one spag, tie one end of the cable to the hat-stand and tape the other end to the bowl.. then someone gets to throw each of the balls and try to get them into the bowl, while everyone else gets to block.  Maybe that game sucks - cool - when you reach a set number of points then someone else gets to make up new rules.

Drinking would not be advised, but should be mandatory.

PopeTom

Quote from: Professor Freeky on March 31, 2010, 10:28:30 PM
Car fliering. Write an apology for something vague, stick it under a windshield wiper. Or you could take instructions for young children's toys, or electronics, and stick them under other people's windshield wipers.

Please to note: This works best the LESS you do it in a small area at any one time. One or two per grocery store parking lot, for instance, is a pretty good number.

I have quite frequently left all the singles left over from a night out at the club/bar under the windshield wipers of cars (one per car) on my stagger to that evening's afterparty.

I imagine it would be even better if I pre-prepped them with the message 'Great job, keep up the good work' written somewhere obvious.
-PopeTom

I am the result of 13.75 ± 0.13 billion years of random chance. Now that I exist I see no reason to start planning and organizing everything in my life.

Random dumb luck got me here, random dumb luck will get me to where I'm going.

Hail Eris!

Adios

Sit in the front yard wearing a tin foil hat, binoculars, beer and staring at the sky.

Triple Zero

- Stick googley eyes on everything (image, cut it up to fit as layout demands)

- leave weird "advertisements" and rants and leaflets and memethings on messageboards in supermarkets etc

- misplace things. say. in supermarkets (but dont put cooled perishables on non-cooled shelves, that's just wasting food)

- carry stickers, paper, index cards and a sharpy always. look out for things to "improve", such as advertisements and signs. make them funny. even if the funny is lame, the fact that someone actually went through the trouble to implement the lame prank/pun, is good enough to get some giggles.

Quote from: Sigmatic on March 31, 2010, 09:55:46 PM
Another idea I had a while ago:  Set up small mp3 players (like the zen stone) to play eerie, strange, or confusing noises in the forest or parks at night time.  Once you have your track, you could put the mp3 player on a string and hang it well out of reach in a tree.

oohhhh I like this! but you have to expect to lose the mp3 player. If not the first night, I suggest continuing until it disappears.

cheapest mp3 player I could find so far was priced at 13 euros. but that was in a random appliances store (Blokker), if I looked online I might be able to find one for 10 or so. Still the 13e one had like 2GB of storage, which is insane considering that the track navigation is absolutely horrible and it doesnt even do shuffle :)

oh right while cleaning today I found a my old 512MB mp3 player with a cracked screen. it works except that the jack is also kind of glitchy but you can tape that stuck. so that would only cost me one AAA battery and a pair of cheapo headphones (I wonder where you can get those on the cheap?)
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Doktor Howl

Working on replacement pamphlets for the Tucson Tourism Board.

I took one of theirs, to copy the cover exactly, then I'm writing content for it.  Where to go to get stabbed, where all the perverts are, the fact that you're breathing powdered coyote shit in every breath, etc.  Also, the horrible truth about our history.

When I get them back from the printers, I am going to replace the existing ones.  I won't need many, because not too many people grab these things, so this is a joke whose punchline I will never see.  With any luck at all, I'll see a minor blurb on the last page of the front section of my newspaper when some tourist from Japan finally complains.
Molon Lube

East Coast Hustle

I once founded the "Tucson Tourism Board".
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

AFK

My music project, the illegitimate son of convention, was a project to record Discordian-inspired music.  Most of the more obviously Discordian-influenced pieces can be found on my Multiply site:  http://rwhn.multiply.com  The most recent recordings (recent being a year ago or more) can be found at www.myspace.com/theillegitimatesonofconvention 

One of the pieces "Memed and Bruised/So What Now?" actually incorporated a rant written by TI.  Another included a few one-liners written by various personalities from the board.  Then of course there is Spag and Spag II, the latter being inspired by mr. Dead Kennedy.  A few of the pieces have been featured on Rev. St. Syn's POEEcasts.  I think they've managed to seep into other corners of the web too.  (I'm vain so I google myself a lot). 

The other thing I've been doing is to try to work pertinent Discordian angles into my real job.  Mostly, some of the BIP philosophies and strains of thought we've developed here.  I of course don't use any obvious Discordian cliches or jargon, but the ideas are still there.
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Richter

Wait for someone you want to edge towards Discord, someone you want to amuse, or someone you want to fuck off for being ignorant, to ask you something. 

Answer them.  Truthfully at first, then elaborate.  Exagerate details as you go, slanting them towards the horrible Truth as applicable.  Judge your audience, and cap the reply at a certain point of artful horror, or continue degrading into filth and lies as appropriate.  The goal is to make "Ask a question and you will receive and answer." to be as much a disclaimer as an encouragement. 
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

President Television

Shout "ANARCHY!" while performing perfectly safe, mundane, law-abiding tasks, like driving under the speed limit, looking both ways before you cross a street, or paying for your groceries.
My shit list: Stephen Harper, anarchists that complain about taxes instead of institutionalized torture, those people walking, anyone who lets a single aspect of themselves define their entire personality, salesmen that don't smoke pipes, Fredericton New Brunswick, bigots, philosophy majors, my nemesis, pirates that don't do anything, criminals without class, sociopaths, narcissists, furries, juggalos, foes.

Placid Dingo

A Dereve (stolen from sf0, but they stole it from the situationalists so meh) where you begin a journey besed on your intuition and whims rather than any specific intent.

Go to op shops and buy clothes that do NOT represent you (political shirts that misrepresent your positions, associations with social groups (goth, emo, hippy, hipster) that you do not associate with etc) and document the ways in which this makes changes to your life.
Haven't paid rent since 2014 with ONE WEIRD TRICK.