News:

Endorsement:  I am not convinced you even understand my concepts of moral relativity, so perhaps it would be best for you not to approach them.

Main Menu

A Discordian argument against Anarchism

Started by Cain, April 12, 2010, 08:23:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Suu

All the comments seem to be coming from pseudo-intellectual hipsters, IMO.

Good article, Cain.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Phox

Quote from: Suu on December 08, 2010, 03:01:27 PM
All the comments seem to be coming from pseudo-intellectual hipsters, IMO.

Good article, Cain.

What Suu said.  :)

the last yatto

Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit

BabylonHoruv

Quote from: Unqualified on April 16, 2010, 08:40:37 PM
What I'm getting from all this is that it's a generally bad idea to support a political system that is centred around a single ideal, because everything else will suffer and the ideal itself will end up being a major victim of the proposed model. Eg. Communism/Equality, Anarchy/Freedom, Totalitarianism/Safety, Capitalism/Opportunity, Democracy/Satisfaction. Discordianism/Dischord

Thus, perhaps it is best not to pursue a particular ideal for the world so much as it's best to focus on our own activities and how we affect things locally. Perhaps it's best not to shackle ourselves to an ideology.
Of course, this should be a matter of course for Discordians.

Amended.

You're a special case, Babylon.  You are offensive even when you don't post.

Merely by being alive, you make everyone just a little more miserable

-Dok Howl

East Coast Hustle

:facepalm:

Discordianism has no ideal, and if it does that idea is not "discord".

"Lulz" is a much better candidate.

Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

BadBeast

Quote from: East Coast Hipster on December 18, 2010, 12:38:48 PM
:facepalm:

Discordianism has no ideal, and if it does that idea is not "discord".

"Lulz" is a much better candidate.

"We need a plane for Bombing, Strafing, Assault and Battery, Interception, Ground Support, and Reconaissance,
NOT JUST A "FAIR WEATHER FIGHTER"!

"I kinda like him. It's like he sees inside my soul" ~ Nigel

Whoever puts their hand on me to govern me, is a usurper, and a tyrant, and I declare them my enemy!

"And when the clouds obscure the moon, and normal service is resumed. It wont. Mean. A. Thing"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpkCJDYxH-4

YNWA

I would agree with that while adding in the basis that the concept and practice of anarchism, like communism both rely rather heavily on the concept of people being perfectible which we're not, and also that everyone in that particular system wants to be a part of it which they do not.  Therefore there will always be those people that would try to get a leg up over the system and exert control of others, resources, or any number of things that folks happen to have a demand for.   Also true anarchy could never be realized because a system would still exist in the taboos and social mores that make up every culture and group of people. 

The Ingenuous Hidalgo

Anarchism seems to start with the premise that people are sucky to each other because of the machinations of the Rulers.

By removing the Rulers one frees people to be less and less sucky to each other. Because nobody can rise to a position of Rulership the king-rat syndrome will gradually diminish.

I cannot think of any large scale long lived example of this actually happening. I suspect that Hakim Bey was on the right track with his idea of the TAZ and being the closest form of pure anarchism that can exist.
"One man scorned and covered with scars still strove with his last ounce of courage to reach the unreachable stars; and the world was better for this."

East Coast Hustle

I just don't understand why anybody would even WANT an anarchist system, even a realistically-impossible perfect one.

I mean, I guess it's great if you have no ambition, but I LIKE being better than most other monkeys, and I WANT to claw my way into a position where I can dominate and exploit the aforementioned inferior monkeys.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Placid Dingo

Quote from: The Ingenuous Hidalgo on January 06, 2011, 08:11:36 PM
Anarchism seems to start with the premise that people are sucky to each other because of the machinations of the Rulers.

By removing the Rulers one frees people to be less and less sucky to each other. Because nobody can rise to a position of Rulership the king-rat syndrome will gradually diminish.

I cannot think of any large scale long lived example of this actually happening. I suspect that Hakim Bey was on the right track with his idea of the TAZ and being the closest form of pure anarchism that can exist.

This makes me think of the ideas of the Situationists, which you might like.
Haven't paid rent since 2014 with ONE WEIRD TRICK.

Jasper

Anarchy sounds like a fun place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there. 

Reread the OP. Good stuff!

Epimetheus

On second thought, let's not go to Anarchy. 'Tis a silly place.
POST-SINGULARITY POCKET ORGASM TOAD OF RIGHTEOUSNESS

The Ingenuous Hidalgo

It may be a problem of language, with the accepted political/philosophical use of Anarchy and Anarchism having been subsumed by the modern use of the term.

I use the term in relation to Bakunin, Goldman, Makhno (and Revolutionary Army of Ukraine), Durruti, Joe Hill etc. The modern usage seems mostly to in relation to brick throwing youths and failed third world states. This, for me, is like confusing Communism with Stalinism.

:fnord:
"One man scorned and covered with scars still strove with his last ounce of courage to reach the unreachable stars; and the world was better for this."

Telarus

That redefinition was done on purpose. See the Toronto G20 Protests.
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

The Ingenuous Hidalgo