News:

PD.com: More merciless than a statue of Ming.

Main Menu

martini [attn LMNO]

Started by Triple Zero, May 25, 2010, 11:01:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Triple Zero

Recently I decided to venture into the wonderful world of the martini cocktail.

I started off with this recipe: http://artofmanliness.com/2009/05/04/how-to-make-the-perfect-martini/

Except I failed to make ice (the ice "cube" plastic bubble sheet thing turned out to be leaky, also they don't sell bags of ice in liquor stores like they do in the US), and didn't have the gin long enough in the freezer. Also the cocktail glasses didn't fit in the tiny freezer compartment we have.

However, it turned out pretty good. The advice on playing Sinatra while drinking did truly add extra flavour as well.

Next try, a few days later. The gin is thoroughly chilled, well below 32F. I managed to make a good amount of ice. I should really get a plastic tray because these bubble baggies are crap (and kinda old). We ate the olives previously so I didn't have any olives. I used pickled white onions, which makes the cocktail a Gibson according to the article, but I figured that's better than nothing. Lacking a cocktail shaker, I used a (clean) glass jar with a lid. I probably shook the things too much. Also I didn't throw away the vermouth as the article said, cause even though I dont particularly like vermouth, we found the previous attempt a bit too dry and added a few drops of vermouth afterwards.

It turned out watery as hell and wasn't very good at all.

Third try, right after the previous cause I wasn't going to have any of this watery business. I just poured one cap of vermouth into the cocktail glass and two shots of (very cold) gin. It is very good. If I would have had an olive it would probably have been better. Also I didn't feel like Sinatra and played Kruder & Dorfmeister K&D Sessions - Bomb the Bass - Bug Powder Dust because, yeah :mrgreen:

So, question, is all this messing about with icecubes in a cocktail shaker really necessary? Am I doin it rite?
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Rumckle

In my experience, how you did it was right.

If you keep your gin in the freezer I wouldn't bother with the cocktail shaker and ice.

Also, I personally prefer a twist of lemon peel to olives.

eta: while I do like Bug Powder Dust, I'm not sure it is martini music though. ;)
It's not trolling, it's just satire.

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Yeah, I say skip the ice if your gin is already cold.

I recommend that you now advance to the dirty martini. The only thing that beats a well-balanced dirty martini is Hendrick's neat.

Also, my recommended martini music is the less fast paced stuff off of Amon Tobin's album Permutation, such as this one.
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

LMNO

Some people say that the small amount of melt you get when you stir it with ice is necessary.  If you're using a cheaper gin, this may be true; but a lot of the higher-end gins can be served neat (as Net pointed out).

I think the only thing that recipe gets wrong is the amount of time you let it sit, and swirl.  If everything has been in the freezer, then it's already as cold as it's going to get. 

The way I usually do it:

Ice in the shaker.
Gin in the shaker.
Stir.  Sit.
Vermouth in the glass.  Swirl, dump (vermouth coats the glass, giving a consistent, even amount).
Lemon rind twist rubbed around edge of glass. Leave twist in the bottom.
Stir, pour.

Suu

Also, remember that if you don't chill your gin, it's OKAY to shake it. The idea of bruising gin is bullshit made up by lazy bartenders back in the 1920s.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

LMNO

Fuck shaking it.  Even with a strainer, you have a greater chance of ending up with ice chips in your drink.

Ice chips in a martini fucking suck.

Stir.

Suu

Yeah, you only want ice in your drink if you deliberately put it there to blend.

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Adios

I prefer dirty a dirty vodka martini. Also chocolate martinis aren't bad either.

LMNO

Quote from: Hawk on May 25, 2010, 03:47:01 PM
I prefer dirty a dirty vodka martini.
:argh!:
QuoteAlso chocolate martinis aren't bad either.
:hashishim: :jihaad: :hashishim:

Adios

LMNO

I might be okay with the vodka subversion of a martini, but a "chocolate martini" is an abomination in the eyes of the Lord.

Adios

Quote from: LMNO on May 25, 2010, 03:56:20 PM
I might be okay with the vodka subversion of a martini, but a "chocolate martini" is an abomination in the eyes of the Lord.

But I really like them. :)

LMNO

Then call it a "Choco-tail" or some sort of frilly stupid name.  But it's not a martini, no matter what kind of glass you serve it in.

Adios

Suu

Martini = vodka/gin + vermouth + garnish

That's it.