News:

Bigotry is abound, apprently, within these boards.  There is a level of supposed tolerance I will have no part of.  Obviously, it seems to be well-embraced here.  I have finally found something more fucked up than what I'm used to.  Congrats. - Ruby

Main Menu

Difficult Decision

Started by AFK, June 08, 2010, 01:41:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AFK

So today is primary day in Maine.  We have approximately 23 people  :fnord: running for Governor this year.  There is one guy I really, really want to win the Democrat nomination, and ultimately, the Governorship itself.  But, in order for me to be able to vote for him today, I would have to register as a Democrat.  I've been a Independent ever since I could vote and always maintained that I would stay an independent.  But, it is tempting to give in and register just so I can cast a vote for the guy. 

Dunno what I want to do about this......

What do you think internet spags? 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

LMNO

Independents can't vote in primaries at all in ME?

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: 6 Feet of Sole on June 08, 2010, 01:41:13 PM
So today is primary day in Maine.  We have approximately 23 people  :fnord: running for Governor this year.  There is one guy I really, really want to win the Democrat nomination, and ultimately, the Governorship itself.  But, in order for me to be able to vote for him today, I would have to register as a Democrat.  I've been a Independent ever since I could vote and always maintained that I would stay an independent.  But, it is tempting to give in and register just so I can cast a vote for the guy. 

Change your party again after the election
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: LMNO on June 08, 2010, 01:44:31 PM

I'm guessing Independents can't vote in primaries within a particular party--which is the opposite of here naturally.

AFK

Quote from: LMNO on June 08, 2010, 01:44:31 PM

Nope.  If I want to vote today, I'd have to register with a party first, and then I can vote in that party's primary.  I dunno, I think I might do it.  Besides, I've been seriously toying with the idea of running for local government once I finish this grant I'm working on.  Might as well establish some party cred now. 

LMNO

That sucks.  In MA, you can stay independent, but you have to declare which ballot you want when you get there.

AFK

Yeah, and it doesn't make much sense.  We supposedly pride ourselves in how independent we are in Maine.  Until you want to pick state and national candidates then you have to tow some party's line.  But, on the other hand, after the primaries are done, we will still have something like 7 or 8 candidates.  We have at least 5 independent or third party candidates running. 

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: 6 Feet of Sole on June 08, 2010, 02:10:50 PM
Yeah, and it doesn't make much sense.  We supposedly pride ourselves in how independent we are in Maine.  Until you want to pick state and national candidates then you have to tow some party's line.  But, on the other hand, after the primaries are done, we will still have something like 7 or 8 candidates.  We have at least 5 independent or third party candidates running. 

How do they usually do?

Suu

In RI, if you vote in a primary as an independent you have to register for the party, but then you can just change it back later. People do it all the time.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

AFK

Quote from: Nephew Twiddleton on June 08, 2010, 02:14:12 PM
Quote from: 6 Feet of Sole on June 08, 2010, 02:10:50 PM

How do they usually do?

3rd Party Candidates?  I think we've had a few Green party candidates win state legislature seats.  Before Gov. Smeagol Baldacci we did have an independent Governor, Angus King.  So, there have been some moderate success stories. 

But in this Governor's race, it will pretty much be between the GOP and DEM nominee. If it is Steve Rowe or Libby Mitchess for the DEMs, they should win the election.  But if it's one of the other 2 spags, I think the GOP will take the state.  But that won't be too bad, the DEMs still control the State House, so a GOP Governor will have very limited power. 

East Coast Hustle

I registered as a republican in Maine so I could vote in their primary and try to screw over whoever seems like the worst of a bad bunch.

I don't know much about any of the other candidates, but I'm for damn sure voting for whoever might be able to beat Les Otten in the primary.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

East Coast Hustle

by the way, I hate to break the bad news to you, but Les Otten is probably going to have a chance to screw up the whole state the way he screwed up American Ski.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Cramulus

I'm agreeing with the above sentiment. Register for a day, then switch back! The party affiliation isn't as important as who you vote for.

Note: This is why I've been a registered republican for 8 years

AFK

Les Otten and Peter Mills are probably in the best positions to beat a DEM nominee.  Just because they'll have better name recognition.  I'm supporting Rowe.  He's a great guy.  I've had the pleasure to meet him and chat with him on a few occassions.  I've been a little disappointed with his campaign though.  His signs have just gone up in the past few days and I haven't seen any TV ads yet.  He seems to be running on the strength of his stint as Attorney General and all of the events he's been attending.  

Adios

Quote from: 6 Feet of Sole on June 08, 2010, 01:41:13 PM

I think they are just another set of labels and should be ignored as needed.