News:

"We don't make the apocalypse, we make the apocalypse better."

Main Menu

ATTN: Ratatosk, and assorted others

Started by AFK, June 21, 2010, 04:36:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AFK

Sarah Palin is on your team, kinda:

http://www.jointogether.org/news/headlines/inthenews/2010/sarah-palin-marijuana-use.html

QuoteSarah Palin said that she does not support marijuana legalization but seemed to offer some support for decriminalization of the drug.

CBS News reported June 17 that during a TV appearance with Rep. Ron Paul (R-Texas) -- who supports legalization on libertarian grounds -- Palin said, "If we're talking about pot, I'm not for the legalization of pot. I think that would just encourage especially our young people to think that it was OK to just go ahead and use it."

However, Palin also characterized marijuana use as a "minimal problem" in society relative to other issues. "I think we need to prioritize our law enforcement efforts," she said. "And if somebody's gonna smoke a joint in their house and not do anybody else any harm, then perhaps there are other things our cops should be looking at to engage in and try to clean up some of the other problems that we have in society."

During her run for vice president, Palin acknowledged a past history of smoking marijuana. The drug was decriminalized in Alaska for many years.

Congrats!    :lol:

Of course, she does also support one of my arguments as well.  Trying to have it both ways I suppose. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Adios

But that would mean cops would have to go after real criminals!

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: RWHN on June 21, 2010, 04:36:09 PM
Sarah Palin is on your team, kinda:

http://www.jointogether.org/news/headlines/inthenews/2010/sarah-palin-marijuana-use.html

QuoteSarah Palin said that she does not support marijuana legalization but seemed to offer some support for decriminalization of the drug.

CBS News reported June 17 that during a TV appearance with Rep. Ron Paul (R-Texas) -- who supports legalization on libertarian grounds -- Palin said, "If we're talking about pot, I'm not for the legalization of pot. I think that would just encourage especially our young people to think that it was OK to just go ahead and use it."

However, Palin also characterized marijuana use as a "minimal problem" in society relative to other issues. "I think we need to prioritize our law enforcement efforts," she said. "And if somebody's gonna smoke a joint in their house and not do anybody else any harm, then perhaps there are other things our cops should be looking at to engage in and try to clean up some of the other problems that we have in society."

During her run for vice president, Palin acknowledged a past history of smoking marijuana. The drug was decriminalized in Alaska for many years.

Congrats!    :lol:

Of course, she does also support one of my arguments as well.  Trying to have it both ways I suppose. 

I really don't get people like her... Don't regulate Big Oil, cause government is bad... but keep weed illegal cause the government knows best... but don't enforce the law... just sorta hang it over the fireplace along with the "Mom Knows Best" and "Kiss the Cook" plaques. Cause having laws we don't enforce surely doesn't degrade the concept of law or the respect our kids have for it.

At least Ron Paul has some kind of philosophy that he applies consistently.

Also, please Sarah, don't say you smoked weed... it just reinforces the stereotype!!!!!  :lulz:
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Cramulus

Quote from: Ratatosk on June 21, 2010, 04:53:32 PM
Also, please Sarah, don't say you smoked weed... it just reinforces the stereotype!!!!!  :lulz:

hahahhahahaha!
:mittens:

AFK

You know, I think the stereotype is already starting to change, and will change dramatically over the next decade or so.  Especially with the rise of medical marijuana.  It's going to be more in line with Rx abuse, in my estimation.  It's the drug that everybody uses.  But marijuana use will be much more accepted of course. 

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: RWHN on June 21, 2010, 05:23:10 PM
You know, I think the stereotype is already starting to change, and will change dramatically over the next decade or so.  Especially with the rise of medical marijuana.  It's going to be more in line with Rx abuse, in my estimation.  It's the drug that everybody uses.  But marijuana use will be much more accepted of course. 

Like the song says:

"I beg your pardon, if you're offended by my garden But I just can't grow Prozac in my yard"

:wink:
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Captain Utopia

It's going to be more in line with Rx abuse, in my estimation.  It's the drug that everybody uses.
Google trends disagrees:
PILLS,RX

Actually, no - the graph is pretty much meaningless in that sense, but I found the seasonal spike over Christmas to be fascinating.

Jasper

I am only now considering that I might actually find Palin acceptable if she was constantly high.

Cain

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "if"?

AFK

Quote from: Captain Utopia on June 21, 2010, 06:37:34 PM
It's going to be more in line with Rx abuse, in my estimation.  It's the drug that everybody uses.
Google trends disagrees:
PILLS,RX

Actually, no - the graph is pretty much meaningless in that sense, but I found the seasonal spike over Christmas to be fascinating.

When I say it's the drug that everybody uses, I'm talking about multiple "walks-of-life".  The stereotypical stoner has always been your slacker-hippy-college student with scruffy hair and appearance.  When you thought stoner you didn't think about the 50 year old Mom who has fibromyalga, or the 70 year old guy with terminal cancer, or the 30-something executive with the three-piece.  Prescription drug abuse is the same.  It is impacting all age groups, many different demographics and cultural groups.  And this is because both have a level of acceptance that most other drugs don't have.  Marijuana because of the perceived safety of the drug or Rx pills because they are prescribed by a doctor.  And now with medical marijuana cropping up in many states, its acceptance will grow even more amongst the common public. 

Cain

RWHN, what credence do you give to the sociological theory that if certain drugs, like pot, are legalized, the social pressure to do them will actually drop, as there is no longer an illicit association with the act, thus lowering it's value in terms of in-group/out-group teenage peer distrinctions?

I can certainly see something like Rx drugs taking the place of pot if this theory holds true, but I wondered what your thoughts were on it as a whole.  Not entirely your area, I know, but I picked it up while doing some criminological research and found the idea compelling, in the context of costly signalling and mutual guilt to build trust and bind groups together.

Elder Iptuous

Quote from: Ratatosk on June 21, 2010, 04:53:32 PM
I really don't get people like her... Don't regulate Big Oil, cause government is bad... but keep weed illegal cause the government knows best... but don't enforce the law... just sorta hang it over the fireplace along with the "Mom Knows Best" and "Kiss the Cook" plaques. Cause having laws we don't enforce surely doesn't degrade the concept of law or the respect our kids have for it.

Rat,
doesn't 'decriminalization', like she is saying that she supports get rid of weed being illegal? (as opposed to simply not enforcing the law as you suggest...)
It was my understanding that the difference was that decriminalization simply got rid of laws making it illegal, whereas legalization created laws that positively declared it legal (and would thus set it up for regulation and taxation).
is there something i'm missing in the legalese here?

Pope Pixie Pickle

Decriminalisation is where you can have a certain amount without being arrested or having it confiscated. Its still technically illegal tho.

That was how it works in Holland anyway.

Elder Iptuous

how can it be 'decriminalization' if it is still a crime?

Telarus

'Decrim' usually point to decriminalization of Possession... and leaves Intent to Sell criminalized.
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!