News:

I liked how they introduced her, like "her mother died in an insane asylum thinking she was Queen Victoria" and my thought was, I like where I think this is going. I was not disappointed.

Main Menu

Police to get Lazer Dazer

Started by Adios, July 26, 2010, 01:06:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jasper

Jenne

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on July 26, 2010, 05:08:48 PM
Quote from: Sigmatic on July 26, 2010, 05:08:01 PM
Never met a criminal I didn't like.

Try working at a jail.

NO ONE at a jail is likable.  Just saying.

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Jenne

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on July 26, 2010, 05:13:11 PM
Quote from: Jenne on July 26, 2010, 05:11:02 PM

Try working at a jail.

With you 100%, myself included.

Nah, I bet OUTSIDE the jail, you're just ducky.

It's the "in the jail," all workers included, that's the rub.

Jasper

AFK

btw, fwiw, lazer dazer is a ghey name.  Sounds like one of those cheezy carnival rides. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Adios

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: Jenne on July 26, 2010, 05:15:17 PM

Try working at a jail.

I'm fortunate in that I don't work directly inside the facility - I have a nice little separate building with a tv and I can bring books and things in, so I can, even while working at a jail, be relatively decent.  The problem is that every single other person you interact with is absolutely miserable and rightly so.  The COs are miserable for being in that setting, the caseworkers are miserable for not seeing a difference, the mental health staff is miserable for dealing with false claims to score meds, the nursing staff is miserable for the risk they're in.

Not to threadjack, Jenne, but I read your write up of trying to get someone in there to help you when you needed something done for your father.  I'm the guy you spoke with on the other end of the phone trying my damnedest to get you the hell off the line.  I even had that almost exact situation arise around the time you did.  It sucks.  There's nothing I personally can do in my position other than direct the call to the proper place.  But it's busy at the proper places and I can't just send everyone through to the guy in charge every time.  Even if it's necessary, that person might just not be available.  And it becomes the boy who cried wolf; everyone thinks they have some great reason to be given special treatment, mostly trying to manipulate the system.  Then when someone like you has a legitimate need for assistance we're choked with so much other bullshit.  So for my part in your nightmare experiences, I am sorry.

Funny thing is, my job is pretty sweet.  I don't get hassled a whole lot, I'm relatively autonomous on my shift, I can do whatever I want during my free time, and the benefits are great.  I just don't know how much longer I can work there because of what it is.

Again, I don't mean to bring all manner of seriousness in this thread, but that's been on my mind off and on since I read about your fiasco and I can't remember if I ever said it.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Jenne

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on July 26, 2010, 05:31:29 PM
Quote from: Jenne on July 26, 2010, 05:15:17 PM

Try working at a jail.

I'm fortunate in that I don't work directly inside the facility - I have a nice little separate building with a tv and I can bring books and things in, so I can, even while working at a jail, be relatively decent.  The problem is that every single other person you interact with is absolutely miserable and rightly so.  The COs are miserable for being in that setting, the caseworkers are miserable for not seeing a difference, the mental health staff is miserable for dealing with false claims to score meds, the nursing staff is miserable for the risk they're in.

Not to threadjack, Jenne, but I read your write up of trying to get someone in there to help you when you needed something done for your father.  I'm the guy you spoke with on the other end of the phone trying my damnedest to get you the hell off the line.  I even had that almost exact situation arise around the time you did.  It sucks.  There's nothing I personally can do in my position other than direct the call to the proper place.  But it's busy at the proper places and I can't just send everyone through to the guy in charge every time.  Even if it's necessary, that person might just not be available.  And it becomes the boy who cried wolf; everyone thinks they have some great reason to be given special treatment, mostly trying to manipulate the system.  Then when someone like you has a legitimate need for assistance we're choked with so much other bullshit.  So for my part in your nightmare experiences, I am sorry.

Funny thing is, my job is pretty sweet.  I don't get hassled a whole lot, I'm relatively autonomous on my shift, I can do whatever I want during my free time, and the benefits are great.  I just don't know how much longer I can work there because of what it is.

Again, I don't mean to bring all manner of seriousness in this thread, but that's been on my mind off and on since I read about your fiasco and I can't remember if I ever said it.

Yeah, I know when I make known my own personal issues with the jails, their workers, and how they're run, I risk that someone else has a different point of view.  It's come up before with Cram because he has a friend who's a cop.  But I do caveat that my experiences, though my own, rarely differ from others'.  I have had guys who work in those places tell me, "Yes, ma'am, it's shit, we know it, but can't/won't do anything about it."

I feel your pain, EoC, because it's a prodigious nightmare, and a ponderous chain of bureaucracy as well.  Couple that with the general attitude of "this is jail/prison, you get the pain you deserve" that's pretty prevalent, even aside from all the usual abuse of power, etc. that can happen, and yeah, you got a formula for disaster.  There are always going to be decent people working shitty jobs, and always going to be shitty people working decent jobs.  I totally allow for that.

Luckily, my dad HAS had some breaks.  But he also works the system and milks it for every milliounce he can get, too.

So no worries, dude.  I didn't mean to poke ya, even with my little quirks about the police, the legal system, and those in between.  Of course, I am sure the more my dad shares with us about his general humiliation and hard times/what he's seen in there when he comes out, the more my rage will boil.  But suffice it to say I'm GLAD there are awesome people in the system like YOU, EoC...people who actually aren't jaded within an inch of their lives into not giving a shit about the people they work under, for and sometimes against.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Count on July 26, 2010, 05:17:29 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on July 26, 2010, 05:01:59 PM
Quote from: Count on July 26, 2010, 05:01:24 PM
So how accurate and safe is a bloody flash of light going to be from a mile and a half away?

So, you love criminals, do you?

I'm not an expert, so correct me if I'm wrong, but the phrase "Large pool of light" makes me unsure that anyone else in that mile and a half is going to be safe, and as Sig said: drivers.

So, yeah.  You're soft on crime.  You want to let rapists run free, and muggers can beat up old ladies for all you care, right?  Fucking hippie.
Molon Lube

Jenne

Also: two of my OWN relatives (my dad's older sister and her son) were prison guards, once upon a time.  I have gotten their perspectives as well (which, interestingly enough, don't vary much from my own...).

Dimocritus

So who wants to start making bets on how long it'll take law enforcement officials to figure out how to kill teenagers/seniors with this thing?
HOUSE OF GABCab ~ "caecus plumbum caecus"

Jasper

I already have an idea or two.

Jenne

Quote from: dimo on July 26, 2010, 06:37:51 PM
So who wants to start making bets on how long it'll take law enforcement officials to figure out how to kill teenagers/seniors five year olds with this thing?

Yeah, it's that bad.  Society sucketh, as it ever has.

/Debbie Downer today