News:

In my heart I knew that rotten testicles and inflamed penises were on the way.

Main Menu

Music Thread: Thumbnail sketch of you as a music fan.

Started by AFK, July 29, 2010, 06:42:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AFK

Trying for a different kind of music thread instead of the typical Top 5 albums, Top 10 bands, etc. 

In this thread we post and discuss three things.

1) The first band/musician you got into.
2) Overall favorite band/musician of all time
3) The newest or most recent band/musician you got into. (should be a new-ish band, not an old/established artist you just discovered.)

I'll start.

First:  Stevie Wonder
Favorite:  Faith No More
Newest:  Eluveitie  (Celtic folk-metal band from Switzerland) 

Your turn. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Adios

First - Hank Williams

Favorite - Steppenwolf

Newest - Zac Brown Band

LMNO

I'm not sure I can answer the first two questions.

1) By "got into", do you mean "listened to obsessively"?  Because in that case, it would be Burl Ives, when I was 5 years old.  Or maybe the "Free to Be, You and Me" album.

2) I can't make that judgement due to genre incompatability.  However, if you put a gun to my head, I'd say Minutemen.  But I've listened to their music (which consists of possibly four albums) for almost 20 years, and I don't listen to them very much anymore.  Still, there are so many, and any one "favorite" can't do what another "favorite" can do.  I mean, how do you compare Tom Waits with Gang of Four?

3) The National.  Hands down.

AFK

I guess for the first one it would be the first artist for which you were more than a casual fan.  The actual first album I ever got was some Elvis best-of album from my Grandmother.  But it didn't really do much for me.  But Stevie Wonder is the first artist where I really liked the music and wanted to buy and hear more.  It was more than just casual enjoyment. 

And I know the second one is tough.  And again referring to mine, Faith No More has been out of the picture for awhile now, but I always find myself coming back to their albums.  Their music really resonated with me over the years and that's never really waned. 

Hoser McRhizzy

First - Raffi

Overall - Skunk Anansie

Newest - Delhi 2 Dublin (Celtic, Bhangra and Dub all smooshed up together - saw them live last year and I've been hooked ever since)
It feels unreal because it's trickling up.

LMNO

Hoser McRhizzy

Quote from: Doktor Alphapance on July 29, 2010, 07:42:39 PM
Quote from: Nurse Rhizome on July 29, 2010, 07:40:00 PM

Overall - Skunk Anansie

Really?

:lol:

I love her voice and think the drummer's excellent.

(edit for multitasking english errors)
It feels unreal because it's trickling up.

LMNO

Quote from: Jenne on July 29, 2010, 07:45:16 PM
Quote from: Doktor Alphapance on July 29, 2010, 07:42:39 PM
Quote from: Nurse Rhizome on July 29, 2010, 07:40:00 PM

Overall - Skunk Anansie

Really?

Alphapance M'Dear...c'mon.

Apologies... first off, I had no idea they had recorded anything after Paranoind and Sunburnt back in '95. Secondly, I've always thought they were an amalgamation of other bands I considered more interetsing, like The Slits meets Bad Brains meets Jane's Addiction.

Iron Sulfide

hmmm...I'm not sure which takes precedent, so i'll list them both. at about 9 i received my first cassette tape. It was Vanilla Ice, VIP. for about two years, you couldn't pry me from it. The first band i liked by choice, not by imposition, would be Greenday. I heard their Dookie album and i was sold. 13 is an odd year.

fav? ummmmm...i'll answer that one last.

Most recently, i taunted the board while i was asking them for "obscure" music suggestions which almost escalated into a flame war between Me, Kel and Nigel. I'm about 3/4's of the way through the list and i've discovered a shit ton of new (to me) music. I really like Diamanda Galas, even if most of her stuff is unlistenable (thanks, whoever recommended her...) but i also really like the NASA recommendation from LMNO. That shit is pretty sweet. Galas give me more listening pleasure, but NASA has a deep sense of poignancy for me, Call it a tie.

back to all-time favorite: cheesy as is sounds, i'll have to go with Pink Floyd, as along as the entire Discography counts (they're almost two separate bands, if you think about it...) From Sid Barret's melancholy madness to Roger Water's existential crises to David Gilmore's--oh yeah, he was the boring one. I can't quite pin it, but there's always been what i can only describe a haunting quality to their music.
Ya' stupid Yank.

AFK

I'd say it was four separate bands.  

1) Syd Barrett
2) Dark Side/Wish you Were Here  (aka, Pink Floyd's peak)
3) Roger Water's expanding ego
4) David Gilmour's expanding ego

Sir Fronkensteen, The Hawk

First: House of Pain

favorite: Boondox

Newest: The Lonely Island

Iron Sulfide

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on July 29, 2010, 08:28:37 PM
I'd say it was four separate bands. 

1) Syd Barrett
2) Dark Side/Wish you Were Here  (aka, Pink Floyd's peak)
3) Roger Water's expanding ego
4) David Gilmour's expanding ego

i can see your point there.

musically, i think they stayed in the same vein, but they couldn't distill the same essence that made Darkside and WYWH work. I guess that happens when Good Musicians think they're better than, or deserve more.

i still feel if i could only listen to ONE band ever, for the rest of eternity, it'd be Floyd.
Ya' stupid Yank.

AFK

Dark Side worked because the 4 musicians wrote, recorded, and performed as a cohesive unit.  Syd was gone and the power struggles hadn't quite started yet.  The later Floyd stuff where Waters pretty much took over the band you can kind of sense the tension between the band members.  The other thing that made Dark Side so good was it was very simple and understated, yet, not boring.  It went at some very fundamental elements of being an individual existing in a society.  It's no wonder it sold so well for so long. 

Iron Sulfide

Ya' stupid Yank.