Tea party victory endangers GOP’s goal of retaking the Senate

Started by Adios, September 15, 2010, 02:31:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Requia ☣

Quote from: Remington on September 28, 2010, 05:34:06 AM
http://thinkprogress.org/christine-odonnell-record/

:lulz: :lulz: :lulz:

She dropped 15 points in the polls
after the witchcraft comment came out, we might not get to see her in the senate after all  :cry:

Edit, misread the article, she's down 15 points total.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Cain

QuoteO'Donnell led a campaign against masturbation, claiming it is a form of adultery.

What if you're masturbating while thinking about your wife or husband?  I mean, good grief, at least the Vatican prohibition against masturbation has some kind of logic to it.

Jasper

You can even adulterate yourself?

Don't they realize how 'yesterday' meta is?

Cain

The great thing about Catholicism, I've always thought, is that most of their insanity relates back to either

a) the Bible, or
b) Natural Law

The Bible is easy enough.  People have been disproving comments in that since the Renaissance, if not before.  Natural Law is a little trickier, it has to do with what were were designed or meant to do by nature.  The purpose of sex, for example, is reproduction.  If you have sex for any other reason, it's sinful.  Equally, if everything in the Universe is in motion, you can follow that chain of events back to an original cause, which must of course be God.

Now, this makes sense, in a sort of Dark Ages applied logic to the "known" facts of the time way.  But when you introduce facts like pair-bonding or the Big Bang...well, you either get Jesuits and Deists, or the kind of people currently in charge of the Vatican.  It's something of a crapshoot, but because so much of the theology has an empirical and logical base, it self-negates.

Protestant Christianity of the American kind, however, seems to bundle up a bunch of cultural assumptions about what is considered "conservative" and then says "God demands it, obey or die sinner!"  Which is much harder to deal with, since it rests on a core of insanity and irrationality which no amount of applied logic, rationality and humanism can cause to self-negate.

Cain

Quote from: Remington on September 27, 2010, 06:11:41 AM
The GOP Pledge To America: They Mean It This Time
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4zekfQGp34

http://thinkprogress.org/2010/09/27/poe-pledge-not-far-enough/

QuoteIndeed, the Pledge completely ignores Social Security and Medicare. Asked to explain this glaring omission yesterday, House Minority Leader John Boehner (R-OH) astonishingly said his party's new agenda is not intended to lay out solutions to problems. Rather, it is to explain the problems until Americans are ready to hear the "solutions."

YOU WANT THE SOLUTIONS?  YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE SOLUTIONS!

Or, to translate from politicalese into English:

"We're just going to sit on our hands and wait until things get so fucking shitty you'll accept whatever "solution" we present, which will invariably enrich ourselves and our political backers at your expense.  YOU FUCKING SAPS."

Triple Zero

Quote from: Doktor Howl on September 16, 2010, 01:48:06 PM
Quote from: E.O.T. on September 16, 2010, 06:15:03 AM
I AGREE

that we are all fucked.

I DISAGREE

that no beer is worse than any beer at all.

PBR isn't beer, it's hipster juice.

MADE FROM 100% PURE HIPSTER OUT OF CONCENTRATED HIPSTER

They use mostly Brazilian hipster as they are cheapest to harvest. They are then concentrated by removing most of the water, to save on transportation costs. The hipsters are then rehydrated and carbonated at location. So you get 100% pure Brazilian hipster hydrated with local water.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Requia ☣

That's why the hipsters drink it, for 'authenticity' or some such poser BS.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Requia ☣ on September 28, 2010, 10:34:11 PM

Authenticity is always bullshit.
Molon Lube

Jasper

Quote from: Doktor Howl on September 28, 2010, 10:36:44 PM

One hundred jillion percent truth. 

Who the hell wants to be authentic?

BabylonHoruv

Quote from: Sigmatic on September 29, 2010, 01:38:26 AM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on September 28, 2010, 10:36:44 PM

One hundred jillion percent truth. 

Who the hell wants to be authentic?

Those that are fake
You're a special case, Babylon.  You are offensive even when you don't post.

Merely by being alive, you make everyone just a little more miserable

-Dok Howl

Cain

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Authenticity of what?!

The rednecks only drink it cause its cheap and they're poor. I don't know any of my uncles that were like:

MMMMM PBR!!!
    \
:mullet:
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

LMNO

Yeah, but the same can be said about the original punk fans started tearing up their clothes and adding saftey pins to emulate bands like the Voidoids, who actually were too poor to get new clothes and had to hold their shirts together with saftey pins.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Doktor Alphapance on September 29, 2010, 07:06:10 PM
Yeah, but the same can be said about the original punk fans started tearing up their clothes and adding saftey pins to emulate bands like the Voidoids, who actually were too poor to get new clothes and had to hold their shirts together with saftey pins.

...Which is essentially no different than Justin Timberlake keeping a bus-load of Black vocalists, whose job it is to sing about how real Justin Timberlake is, before he comes on stage to perform.

...Or how airheads like Taylor Swift, who affects an incredibly bad Georgia accent while singing what some people might call country music, when she is in fact from Pennsylvania.

...Or how Zach De La Rocha "raged against the machine" through Epic Records, which is of course part of the machine.

...Or how ads for various products will use the word "country" three or more times, so that you will associate them with a "clean and wholesome" rural life that does not and has never existed.

I could go on, but I think I've made my point.
Molon Lube