Become the owner of your very own immortal hamburger

Started by Cain, September 17, 2010, 03:50:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

http://blog.friendseat.com/do-mcdonalds-burgers-decay/

QuoteOur intrigue regarding the eternal shelf life of a McDonald's hamburger began after reading of New York photographer Sally Davies' exploits involving a Happy Meal Project: Davies purchased a Happy Meal, and perched the McDonald's hamburger and french fries on a table. As an experiment, she photographed the meal every few days to measure the rate of spoilage. Her photographs revealed that after 145 days, the burger and fries appeared as fresh as the day they were purchased from McDonald's nearly 5 months ago.

Our interest was really peaked when we discovered that several other concerned consumers had conducted similar McDonald's burger experiments. In these experiments, none of the McDonald's hamburgers decomposed after extended periods of time raging from 1 year to over a decade. Nutrition consultant Karen Hanrahan kept a McDonald's hamburger for, get this, 12 years. She purchased the McDonald's hamburger in 1996 and posted her claim on her website in 2008.

Author and obesity activist Julia Havey stored a McDonald's cheeseburger and fries for 4 years, and Joann Bruso, a 62-year-old grandmother, held on to a McDonald's Happy Meal for a whole year. All of these events were either videotaped or photographed. To illustrate what real food looks like when it spoils, Julia Havey's video visually compares pristine looking four-year old McDonald's french fries with a regular decomposed potato.

Then there's Leo Foley's Bionic Burger video. Foley has allegedly been saving McDonald's hamburgers, cheeseburgers, and Big Macs from McDonald's for over 19 years, and "they look EXACTLY the same!" says Foley. "These hamburgers are not food substances (the way we normally think of food), says Foley, "they are chemical concoctions that contain the look, taste, and smell of food but don't be fooled. There is nothing 'food-like' about these substances at all."

Nephew Twiddleton

But they're so tasty!

That is pretty disturbing though.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Don Coyote

I believe this should be investigated by people without an agenda to prove how bad fast food is. ON top of that, if your body is metabolizing the chemical concoction then it might has be labeled food.

The Johnny

BURGER IS FOUNTAN OF YOUTH, MUST HAS
              /
             /
:mullet:
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Cudgel on September 17, 2010, 03:58:14 AM
I believe this should be investigated by people without an agenda to prove how bad fast food is. ON top of that, if your body is metabolizing the chemical concoction then it might has be labeled food.

Naturally you would say that. You're part of the military-industrial-pharmaceutical-junk food complex.  :wink:
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Don Coyote

Quote from: Doktor Blight on September 17, 2010, 04:19:32 AM
Quote from: Cudgel on September 17, 2010, 03:58:14 AM

Naturally you would say that. You're part of the military-industrial-pharmaceutical-junk food complex.  :wink:

You have no idea how close to the truth that could have been. :wink:

Jasper

I don't see how the stale burger lady could have skewed the results, assuming the pictures aren't intentional forgeries.

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

In other news, the mummification of my bowels is coming along nicely. Thanks McDonald's!
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Rumckle

Quote from: Sigmatic on September 17, 2010, 06:33:49 AM
I don't see how the stale burger lady could have skewed the results, assuming the pictures aren't intentional forgeries.

I guess it she could have stored it in certain ways, treated it with something before hand, or something similar.
It's not trolling, it's just satire.

Triple Zero

Well, I don't know about burgers, but I can totally imagine fries to keep looking exactly the same when kept in relatively dry conditions.

Any kinds of fries, not just McDonald's.

When they're fried, they are heated up, sterilizing the insides, the water inside boils, pushing out bubbles of steam in the frying fat, this is what makes them crispy on the outside and why you should shake off the fat asap when you take them out cause otherwise the fat soaks back into the fries and they get soggy.

So on the outside, they are dry, the remains of fat probably solidify, sealing the outside further close.

Additionally they're salted.

It's just not really a place for micro-organisms to do their thing.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

East Coast Hustle

take it from me, real french fries get pretty nasty and moldy after a few weeks at room temperature.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

East Coast Hustle

also, this makes me really glad that I have, for about 15 years now, refused to eat anything from McDonald's unless I was absolutely starving and it was the only option for food in a 20+ mile radius.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Triple Zero

I think I got something like 8 years or something, minus one big mac menu after a really long roadtrip back home from a week long festival when everybody was really short-tempered and I figured it might be better not to push the issue any further and convince them to look for some random other place to eat. Even though were in the middle of fucking Germany, where you can get off the road anywhere, enter some little village and eat delicious schweinbraten mit sauerkraut und knoedel for under 10 euros. There was an icky oily taste in my mouth for the rest of the night, it was horrible. Plus I made the mistake of opening up the plastic cap from my cup of cola :vom:
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Cain

Quote from: Exit City Hustle on September 17, 2010, 12:53:40 PM
also, this makes me really glad that I have, for about 15 years now, refused to eat anything from McDonald's unless I was absolutely starving and it was the only option for food in a 20+ mile radius.

This.  I rarely ever went to them before, but I got food poisoning from a McDonalds when I was 14 and since then, the only time I've got to a McDonalds was July this year, and that was only because I didn't know the town in question and it made the kids with me quiet.

Admittedly I did once or twice go to a Burger King while working at the airport, which was almost certainly no better, but as a rule I'd prefer to make my own burgers, as they're healthier, cheaper and tastier.  And it's not like making a burger is difficult or anything.

Freeky

I never liked the burgers anyway. I preferred the chicken nuggets, though when I found bits of stuff (garbage stuff) in one order, I rather lost my taste for them.