News:

PD.com: promoting the nomadic, war-like and democratic lupine culture since 2002

Main Menu

Hey, Hoss...

Started by Adios, September 17, 2010, 04:13:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adios

Quote from: Dr. James Semaj on September 17, 2010, 05:27:02 AM
Now here's a question: Do you think wisdom is something you have to learn, or can it develop on its own?

It can only come with pain, bruises and blood.

Nephew Twiddleton

Now here's a question: Do you think wisdom is something you have to learn, or can it develop on its own?

I think it's a neverending process regardless of your experiences.
I'm wiser now than I was 2 years ago. I am less wise now than I will be in 2 years. If I was in a 3rd world country, perhaps I would be wiser at this age, but I can't know that.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Charley Brown on September 17, 2010, 05:29:23 AM

I guess a good analogy is relationships. Each time you break up with someone it hurts, but you learn something from it and are better for it next time around, either for yourself or the one you are with.

The Wizard

Fair enough. Personally think that a person can be wise without going through some tough shit (thought that will do it), but I also realize that this is an subject where my youth counts against me. Namely, while I have an opinion, I realize that I probably don't know shit.

QuoteI think it's a neverending process regardless of your experiences.

This I can wholeheartedly agree with, taking into account what I said above.
Insanity we trust.

Adios

Quote from: Dr. James Semaj on September 17, 2010, 05:33:05 AM

Fair enough. Personally think that a person can be wise without going through some tough shit (thought that will do it), but I also realize that this is an subject where my youth counts against me. Namely, while I have an opinion, I realize that I probably don't know shit.

You can't write a country song without pain, blood and bruises. You can't live without them either.

The Wizard

QuoteYou can't write a country song without pain, blood and bruises. You can't live without them either.

Just realized that I may have taken you too literally. I thought you meant that the only way to gain wisdom is to have a tough life. What you actually meant is essentially what Dok Blight said, that wisdom comes from setbacks. So when you said pain, bruises and blood, you didn't mean soul scarring horror, but rather any scenario where you're forced to say "Next time I am definitely not going to do (insert mistake here)". Which I agree with.

My apologies, I have a tendency to take what people say to extremes. That is, if I interpreted correctly?
Insanity we trust.

Adios

Quote from: Dr. James Semaj on September 17, 2010, 05:44:33 AM
QuoteYou can't write a country song without pain, blood and bruises. You can't live without them either.

Just realized that I may have taken you too literally. I thought you meant that the only way to gain wisdom is to have a tough life. What you actually meant is essentially what Dok Blight said, that wisdom comes from setbacks. So when you said pain, bruises and blood, you didn't mean soul scarring horror, but rather any scenario where you're forced to say "Next time I am definitely not going to do (insert mistake here)". Which I agree with.

My apologies, I have a tendency to take what people say to extremes. That is, if I interpreted correctly?

Close. If I fail, expect me to run at it at least three more times before admitting defeat. It's a country thing.

Adios

James. You can't experience life through anyone else or some damn silly game. You have to get your face in the mud and feel it. You have to feel the exhileration of kicking somebodys ass to the curb.

Dammit, you have to experience life. In it's unpredictable fullness.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Charley Brown on September 17, 2010, 05:39:02 AM

You can't write a country song without pain, blood and bruises. You can't live without them either.

When I was in high school starting to get together my first band, we wanted to write some songs about war. I mean, fuck, war is standard fare for a metal band. Problem was we were trying to recreate Metallica's "One." And one day we just realized it was silly. We didn't know shit about war. We were like, 16, 17, and Clinton was President. As far as we knew, America wasn't going to go to war anytime that we would be old enough to be soldiers. We decided not to write war songs. I had just turned 20 and my other guitarist was 19 when 9/11 happened. When the shock subsided, and neither of us volunteered to join up and kill the Islamic menace, we negated our old rule and started writing war songs. Not from a soldier's perspective, but from an angry, rational civilian's perspective. One was like, here's what happens to soldiers. The others were like, here's what opportunistic daddy issues presidents do to soldiers for stupid misguided reasons. Brendan wrote an excellent song after we invaded Iraq, called Red, White and Blue. When he and I split musically he wrote another great one called My Country Right or Wrong.

Those songs were wise songs, as opposed to the naive relative peace time drivel we were coming up with safely having a priveleged education at the Boston Public School system's second best.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Charley Brown on September 17, 2010, 05:50:31 AM
James. You can't experience life through anyone else or some damn silly game. You have to get your face in the mud and feel it. You have to feel the exhileration of kicking somebodys ass to the curb.

We are both older than you, at different intervals.
Neither I or Charley can accurately pass on our wisdom. It's his wisdom and mine. We can toss it out there as our two cents, but ultimately, you have to find your own wisdom.

Did I get that right?

Adios

Quote from: Doktor Blight on September 17, 2010, 05:53:59 AM
Quote from: Charley Brown on September 17, 2010, 05:39:02 AM

Co

When I was in high school starting to get together my first band, we wanted to write some songs about war. I mean, fuck, war is standard fare for a metal band. Problem was we were trying to recreate Metallica's "One." And one day we just realized it was silly. We didn't know shit about war. We were like, 16, 17, and Clinton was President. As far as we knew, America wasn't going to go to war anytime that we would be old enough to be soldiers. We decided not to write war songs. I had just turned 20 and my other guitarist was 19 when 9/11 happened. When the shock subsided, and neither of us volunteered to join up and kill the Islamic menace, we negated our old rule and started writing war songs. Not from a soldier's perspective, but from an angry, rational civilian's perspective. One was like, here's what happens to soldiers. The others were like, here's what opportunistic daddy issues presidents do to soldiers for stupid misguided reasons. Brendan wrote an excellent song after we invaded Iraq, called Red, White and Blue. When he and I split musically he wrote another great one called My Country Right or Wrong.

Those songs were wise songs, as opposed to the naive relative peace time drivel we were coming up with safely having a priveleged education at the Boston Public School system's second best.

Closer, you have to wallow in the shit to get wise.

Adios

Quote from: Doktor Blight on September 17, 2010, 05:56:33 AM
Quote from: Charley Brown on September 17, 2010, 05:50:31 AM

We are both older than you, at different intervals.
Neither I or Charley can accurately pass on our wisdom. It's his wisdom and mine. We can toss it out there as our two cents, but ultimately, you have to find your own wisdom.

Did I get that right?

Yes. Every person has to crawl through their own shitpile to get there.

The Wizard

QuoteClose. If I fail, expect me to run at it at least three more times before admitting defeat. It's a country thing.

Same here. I have a hard time admitting defeat. I was the little asshole in my martial arts classes who always insisted on sparring the black belts twice my height. Never ended well.

QuoteJames. You can't experience life through anyone else or some damn silly game. You have to get your face in the mud and feel it. You have to feel the exhileration of kicking somebodys ass to the curb.

I do my best too. One of the reasons I'm looking forward to college. I want to change the world, but I realize that until I really understand the world, then I won't be able to do much good. So, my plan is to jump into the deep end of the pool and see if I can float. I've spent years living in a quiet rural town, and now I'm looking forward to whatever comes next.
Insanity we trust.

The Wizard

QuoteWe are both older than you, at different intervals.

Did I get that right?

Sounds about right. My wisdom will shape itself from whatever my experiences are. Still, much can be learned from listening to people toss out their two cents.
Insanity we trust.

The Wizard

Damn. Its a school night. Should really get to bed. Thanks for the conversation guys. Really enjoyed it.
Hope to continue it tomorrow, in whatever form it takes.
Insanity we trust.