News:

That line from the father's song in Mary Poppins, where he's going on about how nothing can go wrong, in Britain in 1910.  That's about the point I realized the boy was gonna die in a trench.

Main Menu

Freedom isn't Free

Started by BabylonHoruv, September 20, 2010, 06:58:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BabylonHoruv

It's not, and don't you forget it.  Without the people on the front line, fighting oppression, risking their lives, the freedom they do have, injury and embarassment we would not have the liberties that we so often enjoy or take for granted.  People sacrificed for the rights and privileges you have, people are still sacrificing.  People have been sacrificing and putting themselves at risk since the birth of this country to keep our freedoms free.  And they've suffered, died, died in incredibly painful and drawn out ways.  They've hurt their friends and families because of the sacrifices they have been willing to make and the sacrifices they have been forced to make.  Try to remember that, next time you exercise your rights, and although it may not always be the best idea to thank them too publically, after all, their enemies are always out there watching, try to at least send a thought to the terrorists.
You're a special case, Babylon.  You are offensive even when you don't post.

Merely by being alive, you make everyone just a little more miserable

-Dok Howl

Doktor Howl

One of the best things about the American Legion is that they spend all day screaming about how mad they are that we exercise the freedoms they fought for.

This is the sort of thing that makes me support terrorism for its own sake.

Dok,
Has no ideology but terror itself.
Molon Lube

BabylonHoruv

I actually meant to refer specifically to domestic terrorists, John Brown, Edward Abbey, August Spies and so forth.  I figured specifying would take away from the poetic flow of the piece though.

-Dok Howl

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Xochipilli on September 20, 2010, 08:44:51 PM
I actually meant to refer specifically to domestic terrorists, John Brown, Edward Abbey, August Spies and so forth.  I figured specifying would take away from the poetic flow of the piece though.

"Nits make lice."
- John Brown

John Brown was a child murderer.  If you want to associate yourself with the killing of children, go ahead.  Just try to make sure you mention that you're only speaking for yourself.
Molon Lube

Don Coyote

Is he saying that domestic terrorists are freedom fighters?

BabylonHoruv

Quote from: Cudgel on September 20, 2010, 08:50:10 PM
Is he saying that domestic terrorists are freedom fighters?

The difference between a terrorist and a freedom fighter is that a freedom fighter is on my side.

(me referring to the person using the term, not me personally)

-Dok Howl

BabylonHoruv

Quote from: Doktor Howl on September 20, 2010, 08:46:51 PM

"Nits make lice."
- John Brown

John Brown was a child murderer.  If you want to associate yourself with the killing of children, go ahead.  Just try to make sure you mention that you're only speaking for yourself.

A lot of our soldiers are also child murderers and John Brown played an important part in ending slavery.  I'm not saying he was a good man.  He was a terrorist, no doubt about it.

-Dok Howl

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Xochipilli on September 20, 2010, 08:55:57 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on September 20, 2010, 08:46:51 PM

"Nits make lice."
- John Brown

A lot of our soldiers are also child murderers and John Brown played an important part in ending slavery.  I'm not saying he was a good man.  He was a terrorist, no doubt about it.

So the ends justify the means.

Thank you, Herr Goebbels.
Molon Lube

Don Coyote

I am starting to understand why people hate anarchists now.

Cain

The really amusing thing is the only difference between the petty terrorists whom a certain kind of anarchist will profess sympathy for and the states they despise is, well, scale.

Juana

August Spies
Not a domestic terrorist. Someone threw a pipebomb at what became the Haymarket Massacre (evidence suggests it might have been a cop who was a mole in the crowd) and he, and several others, were hung because they "didn't discourage the bomb throwing." Spies was in fact still on stage when the bomb was thrown and witnesses testified that none of the Haymarket Martyrs threw it.

Learn2history, ok?
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Cain

Quote from: Hover Cat on September 20, 2010, 09:13:39 PM
August Spies
Not a domestic terrorist. Someone threw a pipebomb at what became the Haymarket Massacre (evidence suggests it might have been a cop who was a mole in the crowd) and he, and several others, were hung because they "didn't discourage the bomb throwing." Spies was in fact still on stage when the bomb was thrown and witnesses testified that none of the Haymarket Martyrs threw it.

Learn2history, ok?

Next you'll be pointing out that most domestic terrorists, when not unwitting pawns of the intelligence services (roughly 50% of the time, at an educated guess, throughout history) still only serve to further the interests of the ruling class by justifying crackdowns and increased surveillance, whilst failing to create any sort of vanguardist movement from their actions.

BabylonHoruv

Quote from: Cain on September 20, 2010, 09:12:56 PM
The really amusing thing is the only difference between the petty terrorists whom a certain kind of anarchist will profess sympathy for and the states they despise is, well, scale.

That's exactly my point.  Except in reverse.

And to Hover Cat, he's a terrorist under the current definition by the US government.  A definition that also includes the majority of activists that are any sort of effective.

-Dok Howl

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cudgel on September 20, 2010, 09:10:13 PM
I am starting to understand why people hate anarchists now.

Just now?   :lulz:
Molon Lube

Juana

Are you going by the PATRIOT act's definition?
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."