News:

PD's body has a way of shutting pro-lifer's down.

Main Menu

SPIDERS: It's not a game.

Started by LMNO, September 21, 2010, 12:57:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

A BREAK IN THE NARRATION

Would it be a better idea that, after a majority of citizens have cast a vote, that the person with the most votes goes away?

Freeky

Quote from: Doktor Alphapance on September 22, 2010, 04:19:20 PM
A BREAK IN THE NARRATION

Would it be a better idea that, after a majority of citizens have cast a vote, that the person with the most votes goes away?

I think it would be a good idea if, after everyone has cast their vote (or decided to not vote), the person with the most votes goes away.

LMNO

Quote from: Mistress Freeky, HRN on September 22, 2010, 04:23:08 PM
A BREAK IN THE NARRATION

I think it would be a good idea if, after everyone has cast their vote (or decided to not vote), the person with the most votes goes away.

ALL IN FAVOR?

Elder Iptuous

It would move things along quicker....
I vote aye.

Triple Zero

I don't think that's a good idea at all. It would kill off citizens at a very quick rate, plus, abstaining from voting becomes pretty much meaningless, as you cannot prevent (any) people from being sent away at all.

---- what I was originally typing before "2 new replies have been posted" ---- >

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on September 22, 2010, 03:07:26 PM
People, people, if we don't reach a majority, nobody gets put on a bus.  Since we have no evidence, we're far more likely to vote out a citizen than we are a Spider, and just as likely to get rid of the Discordian as we are the Spider.  I don't think it would behoove us to even attempt to reach a majority this round, so I'm showing up here for role call and will abstain from voting.

I think this is actually a reasonable reasoning.

The only reason I can think of to vote for putting someone onna bus, is that it'll make *something happen*, which might result in clues? Or not? Ideas anyone?

Also somebody will get subsumed by a spider, but we won't know who that is either, right? Wait no, it's 50/50 the spider will succeed. Will we know if he/she succeeds?

And the Discordian will try to convert someone, when that happens it'll be their little secret? Will we know if the Discordian succeeded or not?

Also, the Discordian can PM people, right? So it would be in his/her advantage to start PMing people if they are fairly sure they're not spiders?
Say the Discordian figured that Iptuous can't be a spider because of his question ("do they know already, or get a PM next round?"), would it be in his/her advantage to PM Ippy his/her identity? Or is that also dangerous on the chance that Iptuous might get subsumed in the following round(s) and then informs the other spiders as to the Discordian's identity?

Also, ummm, say I got subsumed this round (or later), what forces me to take the Spider's side? But then, same could be asked for the vampire game. However, being subsumed and choosing the Citizen's side would probably ruin the game really quickly. So what's forcing me is not ruining the game? Or would it be allowed? Citizens might not believe me?
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

bds

Quote from: Doktor Alphapance on September 22, 2010, 04:24:40 PM
Quote from: Mistress Freeky, HRN on September 22, 2010, 04:23:08 PM
A BREAK IN THE NARRATION

ALL IN FAVOR?

Nayyyyyy. While I think that nine is a tall order, the game should surely revolve around posting arguments to persuade other people, not just three or four people grouping together and everybody else voting willy nilly (lol, i said willy) Perhaps a compromise of sorts? 50% of players - 2 votes or 40% of players or something like that?

Also, abstaining from voting this round. Sorry.

LMNO

For the record, it's nine this round (17/2=8.5, round up to 9).  Next round will be whatever 50%+1 is (depending on how many go away).

Trip, it's only 50/50 if you're a Discordian.  If you're not, it's 100%.  And if you're subsumed, you're out of the game.

Eater of Clowns

Like I said earlier, in the beginning when we have nothing to go by and such a large number of citizens as opposed to Spiders, it benefits citizens to not put anybody on a bus.  The odds there favor us sending away a potential ally, not the Spider.  If we don't reach a majority this time, that's actually good.

The problem is that later in the game, when we don't reach a majority (not if, when) we won't be able to eliminate people when we definitely need to.  On the flip side of that, we can assume that less people will be present in the game at that point, so it will take less people to make a majority.

If we do it by person with the most votes, we're guaranteed to send someone away each turn, which both helps and hurts the citizens.

If that's what it comes down to, I'll go with the "most votes gets eliminated" idea.  I have nothing against the game going on a while, but with the goal being to win I don't think we would ever get enough majority votes to eliminate someone when we really needed it.

Just read Trip and BDS's arguments, posted while I wrote this.  They make fair points, and I'll vote to stick with majority.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

LMNO

So far, 2 aye to 3 nay.  I'm tempted to use the 50%+1 system, as it would prolong gameplay.

Triple Zero

If you're subsumed you're out of the game not turn into a spider? So we're not gonna get overrun by Spiders? Whooooo! :D

In that case, the Discordian might consider PMing Iptuous, if he or she feels that it's a safe bet.

That said, can ANYONE give me a good reason why it would be in the advantage of the Citizens to put ANYONE on a bus already this round, except "for the lulz"? Cause IMO it makes anybody campaigning for sending people on a bus already this round suspect ...

---

OTOH EoC also makes sense, maybe we can lower the threshold to 1/3rd? Dunno, sounds kinda quick-triggered scary to me as well.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Remington

As much fun as it would be to see Semaj die again, I say nay. The game would go too fast.
Is it plugged in?

Don Coyote

LMNO

ok, 2 aye to 5 nay.

Also, I suspected that my whole system would fall apart when it came to the voting. 

OK: THE SYSTEM IS 50%+1.  IF WE WANT TO PLAY ANOTHER GAME OF THIS, THEN WE CAN DISCUSS A NEW VOTING SYSTEM.

...WE NOW RETURN YOU TO YOUR CURRENT REALITY.

Eater of Clowns

Let me see if I have this right (I'm not a mathspag):

13 Citizens
1   Discordian
3   Spiders
17 Total

That makes 14 non-spiders to 3 spiders, so it'd be just under a 1 in 5 chance we'd actually remove one of them from the game?

So assuming we continue to not eliminate anybody, and the Spiders eliminate 1 citizen per round, at what point is it a reasonable risk to start putting people on a bus?  And importantly, how big of a target am I making myself?   :lulz:
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

LMNO

Current vote is:

Dok Howl – 1
Semaj – 4
Remington – 1
Rumkle – 1
Fred - 2
Cudgel - 1

Votes cast:12 (2 abstaining)

Not yet voted:
Requia
Storebrand
Triple Zero
Sigmatic
Frederieke van Noodleberg

Votes needed to put someone On A Bus: 9

MY APPARENT KNOWLEGDE OF GAME THEORY: ZERO.