News:

Doing everything exactly opposite from "The Mainstream" is the same thing as doing everything exactly like "The Mainstream."  You're still using What Everyone Else is Doing as your primary point of reference.

Main Menu

Atheist food drive

Started by Adios, October 04, 2010, 09:57:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adios

It's not enough that a national survey released Tuesday found atheists were the highest-scoring group on basic religious knowledge — now members of Metro State Atheists are being regular goody-two-shoes.

The group began a three-day campus food drive Tuesday dubbed "Food for Freethought."

The atheists take in nonperishable food items or cash donations from fellow students or other passers-by. In return, they hand out free books.

These are books that have been banned, censored or at least roundly criticized, said group co-founder Joel Guttormson.

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_16200435?source=pop_section_news

One great idea. Even if they are atheists.

Jasper

They seem to understand that most people think Atheists are snotty and unprincipled, so this is a good move.

the last yatto

Wonders how we can get them a few copies of BIP
Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

That's brilliant! I wonder if they are deliberately being self-mocking?
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Sigmatic on October 04, 2010, 10:09:04 PM
They seem to understand that most people think Atheists are snotty and unprincipled, so this is a good move.

Atheists AREN'T snotty and unprincipled?!
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Requia ☣

Quote from: Doktor Blight on October 05, 2010, 06:25:09 AM

I think you're thinking of Dawkinites.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Requia ☣ on October 05, 2010, 06:26:17 AM
Quote from: Doktor Blight on October 05, 2010, 06:25:09 AM

I think you're thinking of Dawkinites.

It was a joke, since militant atheism is the soup du jour.

Blight,
needs to make better use of emotes

Jasper

Well, to be fair I'm not exceptionally principled, but I'm never snotty! 

Iason Ouabache

Quote from: Henny Youngman on October 04, 2010, 09:57:08 PM
It's not enough that a national survey released Tuesday found atheists were the highest-scoring group on basic religious knowledge — now members of Metro State Atheists are being regular goody-two-shoes.

The group began a three-day campus food drive Tuesday dubbed "Food for Freethought."

The atheists take in nonperishable food items or cash donations from fellow students or other passers-by. In return, they hand out free books.

These are books that have been banned, censored or at least roundly criticized, said group co-founder Joel Guttormson.

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_16200435?source=pop_section_news

One great idea. Even if they are atheists.
The Secular Student Alliance does stuff like this all the time. They don't always get the big press though. The secular group at University of South Carolina just did a fundraiser for Amnesty International where you could "stone a heathen" with a water ballon in the place of a stone. The school mascot even got in on the act:

Quote from: Doktor Blight on October 05, 2010, 06:36:58 AM

Blight,
WTF is a militant atheist? Someone who bombs churches and shit? Haven't seen any of those around here.
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

Cain

China has a lot of militant atheists.  Just ask anyone from Tibet.

Dysfunctional Cunt

Stone a heathen....  Damn that is fucking funny. 

I really need to help with the kid's next carnival fundraiser!!!

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Iason Ouabache on October 05, 2010, 08:39:56 AM
Quote from: Doktor Blight on October 05, 2010, 06:36:58 AM

Blight,
WTF is a militant atheist? Someone who bombs churches and shit? Haven't seen any of those around here.

Interchangeable with atheists within the New Atheism movement or whatever that's called. I've heard atheists describe themselves as militant, in the sense that religion is an enemy that must be eliminated. Not through armed conflict but by directly and repeatedly attacking it on an intellectual level (which usually manifests as being obnoxious trolls either online or in real life with a superiority complex)

Cain

Which is, of course, counterproductive, since it just gets people defensive.

The best thing you can do is to teach them how to think critically and rationally without specific mention of religion, but to try and get them to apply it in their everyday life.  Sooner or later the principles of the former, which do work, will run up against the dogma of the latter, which does not and the former should win.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Iason Ouabache on October 05, 2010, 08:39:56 AM

One could argue that some instances of Militant Atheism have existed in the past. Some revolutionaries in the 1700's, certain communistic governments/revolutions etc. However, when you dig deep you find that their militant behavior has a lot in common with Theistic militant behavior and may have a lot more to do with the monkey brain, than that which the monkey brain worships (or doesn't worship).

Me, I'm a militant Maybe Logican. I feel as though I may kill a motherfucker, in some sense, based on the situation, context and level of knowledge I have at the moment, or not.

:lulz:
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

LMNO

Quote from: Cain on October 05, 2010, 06:06:51 PM
Which is, of course, counterproductive, since it just gets people defensive.

The best thing you can do is to teach them how to think critically and rationally without specific mention of religion, but to try and get them to apply it in their everyday life.  Sooner or later the principles of the former, which do work, will run up against the dogma of the latter, which does not and the former should win.

AKA, "The HP Methods of Rationality Gambit".