News:

Don't get me wrong, I greatly appreciate the fact that you're at least putting effort into sincerely arguing your points. It's an argument I've enjoyed having. It's just that your points are wrong and your reasons for thinking they're right are stupid.

Main Menu

A Problem

Started by Jasper, October 07, 2010, 01:53:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adios

Quote from: Cramulus on October 12, 2010, 03:43:13 AM
Quote from: Sigmatic on October 12, 2010, 03:16:14 AM
Nobody willingly allows themselves to realize that they are a neuron in a neuron hating brain.

heh

maybe it doesn't hate us

maybe it just has a drinking problem

That's cold man.

Rumckle

I realised today that Bohemian Like You (NSFW) seems to describe hipsters rather well, and that song is ten years old. Maybe hipstesrs always existed, but we only just named them.

Quote from: Roaring Biscuit! on October 09, 2010, 09:59:23 PM
i don't mind hipsters, but maybe I just don't know any.

People wearing fake glasses pissed me off though, like it would be ok if I started using a fake wheelchair?  FOR FASHION!

x

edd

:lulz:

I'm waiting for fake bandages to become fashionable.
It's not trolling, it's just satire.

BabylonHoruv

Quote from: Ratatosk on October 11, 2010, 10:06:13 PM
Quote from: BabylonHoruv on October 10, 2010, 10:27:00 AM

I don't think hipsters, as such, are a problem,  the drive to fit in may be, but I'd say it's less of a problem than the drive to clan identity, or the drive to submit to an Alpha.

We opften poke at the drives that motivate humans... Second Circuit behavior, labeling etc. and in some sense those things can be problematic. However, I wonder if it would actually be better without those drives for most people, or if most people function because of those drives? I mean, if no one ever labeled any group, what would that do for communication? If no one behaved territorially, how would that affect society?

I mean, for those humans who can escape it and work it out, awesome welcome to the giant golden submarine... but for the rest?

If we really destroyed The Machine, would people be free or broken?

Oh I agree, without our basic monkey drives we wouldn't be able to function as monkeys.  And before we can function as people we have to function as monkeys.
You're a special case, Babylon.  You are offensive even when you don't post.

Merely by being alive, you make everyone just a little more miserable

-Dok Howl

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Doktor Howl on October 11, 2010, 10:14:47 PM

They'd be dead, because The Machine, like Soylent Green, is made out of people.

Right, people that are often driven by Second Circuit behavior, labeling etc.

So my point was... while there are negative aspects of these... should we expect (or want) every monkey to dump those programs?
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Ratatosk on October 12, 2010, 08:07:18 PM

So my point was... while there are negative aspects of these... should we expect (or want) every monkey to dump those programs?

No...

The machine is made out of EVERYONE.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: The Lord and Lady Omnibus Fuck on October 12, 2010, 08:09:43 PM

No...

Not sure what the No is responding to there.

Adios

I think I am driven by a Short circuit.  8)

Jasper

The Machine isn't made of certain kinds of behaviors with relation to specific 'circuits'.  It's made of all human behaviors.

Which is why it is not normatively alterable or destroyable.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Ratatosk on October 12, 2010, 08:13:35 PM

No...

I misread your post, and thought you were partitioning people.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: The Lord and Lady Omnibus Fuck on October 12, 2010, 08:31:10 PM
Quote from: Ratatosk on October 12, 2010, 08:13:35 PM

No...

I misread your post, and thought you were partitioning people.

Ah!

No, I meant sometimes PD posters rant about people that want to follow an Alpha, or act in a territorial fashion or label themselves or try to fit in... etc etc And I think most of us understand that there can be inherent issues in those programs. However, I'm not sure that its necessarily a bad thing that some people want to follow an Alpha or label themselves or try to fit in. I mean, those programs have likely saved our species (or at least large chunks of our species) time and again in history. Though the Pranksters may not follow that way... does it mean the way is wrong, or just wrong for Tricksters?

I was reading "Trickster Makes the World" again and the Coyote story made me think about this. In some of the stories, Coyote tries to do what the other animals successfully do and fails because 'it is not his Way'. Even though the others have their Way and it works for them, that way doesn't work for Coyote. The tricksters discussed often have a way that is out of line with the other animals/gods/whatever. They have an in-between space, the live on the road, they have no "way" but can sometimes imitate others 'ways'... or they make up their way as they go along.

Can Joe Six-Pack handle giving up his Way and adopting the Tricksters way? Or would that be a Very Bad Thing in the end?

BabylonHoruv had said:"I don't think hipsters, as such, are a problem,  the drive to fit in may be, but I'd say it's less of a problem than the drive to clan identity, or the drive to submit to an Alpha."

If you're not 'living at the crossroads', is 'fitting in' a problem? Is submitting to an Alpha? or Clan Identity? etc.

When I first got hit by the Golden Apple, I figured everyone else needed 'freed' as well. But the more I think about it the more it seems kinda self-centered. Just because I may be like Coyote and their 'way' doesn't work for me... does it make it a less valid 'way'? I think my evangelical upbringing made it easy to replace "The Good News of Jesus" with the "Words of Eris" and still preach it, and think people should convert to 'my way'. But now, I'm not so sure.

Link to the bit I was thinking of starts on pg 41

http://books.google.com/books?id=7j-Iu2qoD0kC&lpg=PA27&ots=fjF1E6BKOL&dq=Coyote%20%22Trickster%20Makes%20the%20World%22&pg=PA41#v=onepage&q=Coyote%20%22Trickster%20Makes%20the%20World%22&f=false

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

See, I think I'm better than most people, but not because I'm more enlightened or "doin' it right" or anything like that.

I'm just better.

Because.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: The Lord and Lady Omnibus Fuck on October 13, 2010, 02:48:14 AM
See, I think I'm better than most people, but not because I'm more enlightened or "doin' it right" or anything like that.

I'm just better.

Because.

This.
Molon Lube

Tempest Virago

I don't care what they wear or listen to or where they hang out. I just hate the idea that being earnest, and genuine in your tastes, is a bad thing, or somehow mock worthy. Fuck that noise.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Tempest Virago on October 15, 2010, 06:29:47 AM
I don't care what they wear or listen to or where they hang out. I just hate the idea that being earnest, and genuine in your tastes, is a bad thing, or somehow mock worthy. Fuck that noise.

Pretty sure everyone agreed with that.
Molon Lube

Richter

Quote from: Tempest Virago on October 15, 2010, 06:29:47 AM

THIS.
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat