News:

That line from the father's song in Mary Poppins, where he's going on about how nothing can go wrong, in Britain in 1910.  That's about the point I realized the boy was gonna die in a trench.

Main Menu

Firefighters Watch as Home Burns to the Ground

Started by Psychonomaly, October 07, 2010, 06:18:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Doktor Howl on October 11, 2010, 07:14:44 PM
Quote from: Ratatosk on October 11, 2010, 06:00:08 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on October 11, 2010, 05:17:33 PM
Quote from: Ratatosk on October 11, 2010, 05:16:39 PM

Yes, but that makes it no more or less extortion.

So change the constitution.

Huh?

Taxation is written right into the constitution as an allowed government power.

If you think it's a criminal act (extortion), then you should try to change the constitution, because right now it's legal.

I think you misunderstood my statement. I was saying that a voluntary payment for a services vs taxed for a service is the same in regards to 'extortion'. IE if one is extortion, so is the other. Personally I don't think either are extortion.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Doktor Howl

Quote from: BabylonHoruv on October 11, 2010, 08:42:39 PM
Quote from: Doktor Alphapance on October 11, 2010, 08:30:17 PM
Or "being patriotic".  If you love your country so much, you should be proud to help keep it running.

yes, this.  The "patriot" movement seems awfully hung up on the no taxation part of no taxation without representation.

That's because Sarah Palin told them they aren't represented unless they themselves get to make each decision.

This, of course, being the lady who thought the VP was in charge of the Senate.
Molon Lube

Cain

I always see it as club membership dues.

Of course, I do have the legal right to reside and work in....uh, 28 (?) different countries, so, you know, leaving the club is a significantly easier option for me.