News:

In North Korea, this forum wouldn't be banned, it would be revered and taught in schools as a palatable and preferable version of Western history. And in many ways, that's all the truth the children of North Korea need

Main Menu

Wind farms wtf

Started by Cain, October 28, 2010, 02:50:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rumckle

From what I heard wind farms pose a much greater problem for bats than birds, and I don't think bats fly out to sea.

ETA:
On wikipedia:

QuoteDanger to birds is often the main complaint against the installation of a wind turbine. However, a study[estimates that wind farms are responsible for 0.3 to 0.4 fatalities per gigawatt-hour (GWh) of electricity while fossil-fueled power stations are responsible for about 5.2 fatalities per GWh. The author's study therefore claims that fossil fuel based electricity causes about 10 times more fatalities than wind farm based electricity, primarily due to habitat alteration from pollution and mountain-top removal. The number of birds killed by wind turbines is also negligible when compared to the number that die as a result of other human activities such as traffic, hunting, electric power transmission and high-rise buildings, and the introduction of feral and roaming domestic cats. For example, in the UK, where there are several hundred turbines, about one bird is killed per turbine per year; 10 million per year are killed by cars alone. In the United States, turbines kill 70,000 birds per year, compared to 80,000 killed by aircraft, 57 million killed by cars, 97.5 million killed by collisions with plate glass, and hundreds of millions killed by cats. An article in Nature stated that each wind turbine kills an average of 4.27 birds per year.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Environmental_effects_of_wind_power
It's not trolling, it's just satire.

Triple Zero

Actually I recently read an article that they might have found a promising solution to keep bats and certain other birds from getting killed by windmills.

Apparently, the problem is that the windmills are white, and sometimes partly green.

These happen to be the two worst colours.

Because they attract insects. Which then attract the birds. And at night, the bats.

Turns out purple windmills would attract the least amount of insects.

... is that awesome or what? :lol:

article here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/earth/hi/earth_news/newsid_9067000/9067721.stm
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Nephew Twiddleton

That and rich people who live in beach resort towns for 2/12ths of the year don't want their views obstructed, even though I personally find wind turbines to be aesthetically pleasing.

Birds are more of an excuse than anything, but, if you change the color, then I guess they lose the fake reason, especially when the fossil fuel data is taken into perspective.

Cars also kill numerous squirrels in a year, but no one wants to prevent people from driving.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Quote from: Triple Zero on November 01, 2010, 11:44:16 AM
Actually I recently read an article that they might have found a promising solution to keep bats and certain other birds from getting killed by windmills.

Apparently, the problem is that the windmills are white, and sometimes partly green.

Because they attract insects. Which then attract the birds. And at night, the bats.

article here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/earth/hi/earth_news/newsid_9067000/9067721.stm

:lol:
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Doktor Blight on November 01, 2010, 06:08:56 PM
I personally find wind turbines to be aesthetically pleasing.

I agree completely. 
Molon Lube

Kai

Quote from: Rumckle on November 01, 2010, 12:17:09 AM
From what I heard wind farms pose a much greater problem for bats than birds, and I don't think bats fly out to sea.

ETA:
On wikipedia:

QuoteDanger to birds is often the main complaint against the installation of a wind turbine. However, a study[estimates that wind farms are responsible for 0.3 to 0.4 fatalities per gigawatt-hour (GWh) of electricity while fossil-fueled power stations are responsible for about 5.2 fatalities per GWh. The author's study therefore claims that fossil fuel based electricity causes about 10 times more fatalities than wind farm based electricity, primarily due to habitat alteration from pollution and mountain-top removal. The number of birds killed by wind turbines is also negligible when compared to the number that die as a result of other human activities such as traffic, hunting, electric power transmission and high-rise buildings, and the introduction of feral and roaming domestic cats. For example, in the UK, where there are several hundred turbines, about one bird is killed per turbine per year; 10 million per year are killed by cars alone. In the United States, turbines kill 70,000 birds per year, compared to 80,000 killed by aircraft, 57 million killed by cars, 97.5 million killed by collisions with plate glass, and hundreds of millions killed by cats. An article in Nature stated that each wind turbine kills an average of 4.27 birds per year.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Environmental_effects_of_wind_power

You know what poses a bigger danger to migrating birds?

Tall buildings and city lights.

Yet no one is suggesting we do anything about THAT, yeah.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Doktor Howl

Hey, Kai...Guess who spreads that shit (inre: windmills killing birds) around?

Ho ho ho!
Molon Lube

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Doktor Howl on November 01, 2010, 06:19:00 PM

Ho ho ho!

Gonna take a wild guess here, but big oil?
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Kai

Ho ho ho!

For 1 million internets, is it:

A. Big Daddy Coal
B. Big Daddy Nuke
C. Big Daddy Hydro
or
D. All of the Above
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Doktor Blight on November 01, 2010, 06:22:07 PM

Ho ho ho!

Gonna take a wild guess here, but big oil?

Yep.  One of their more recent acquisitions (ie, the 1970s) was the hippies.

I mean, come on, when court cases involving new refineries occur, for example, do you REALLY think a pack of hippies are going to beat Big Oil if Big Oil doesn't wantp to be beaten?  Fuck no...In fact, most of the hippie/NIMBY groups are FUNDED by big oil (they may or may not know this).

Big Oil can respond with the demand for more gasoline by building a new refinery with all the associated costs, and sell oil cheaper...Or they can "lose" in court, maintain the same level of refining capability, and sell at a higher price.  More income for less outlay = happy stockholders.

And they use the same hippies to protest the fact that bird get minced by windmills, etc.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Kai on November 01, 2010, 06:22:51 PM

Ho ho ho!

A. Big Daddy Coal
B. Big Daddy Nuke
C. Big Daddy Hydro
or
D. All of the Above

Big Daddy Nuke is a 90 pound weakling.  Big Daddy Hydro is old, with cracked bones, and Big Daddy Coal has shacked up with his new woman, Big Mother Petroleum.
Molon Lube

Disco Pickle

I like the SeaGen tidal energy farm concept.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SeaGen

that shit's just cool, and the second gen ideas are going to blow that one out of the water.
"Events in the past may be roughly divided into those which probably never happened and those which do not matter." --William Ralph Inge

"sometimes someone confesses a sin in order to take credit for it." -- John Von Neumann

Requia ☣

Purple windmills would be *awesome*.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Quote from: Requia ☣ on November 01, 2010, 06:45:48 PM

Purple windmills would be *awesome*.

IT'S SCIENCE!
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Kai

Quote from: Doktor Howl on November 01, 2010, 06:27:53 PM
Quote from: Kai on November 01, 2010, 06:22:51 PM

Ho ho ho!

A. Big Daddy Coal
B. Big Daddy Nuke
C. Big Daddy Hydro
or
D. All of the Above

Big Daddy Nuke is a 90 pound weakling.  Big Daddy Hydro is old, with cracked bones, and Big Daddy Coal has shacked up with his new woman, Big Mother Petroleum.

Well that would make sense. Massive power is needed to refine oil, and Daddy Coal doesn't have the protection it used to, so together it makes a mutualism. Ah, business ecology.  :horrormirth: