News:

PD may suddenly accelerate to dangerous speeds.  If PD splits open, do not look directly at resulting goo.  PD is still legal in 14 states.

Main Menu

Sriracha (aka cock sauce)

Started by geekdad, November 17, 2010, 11:41:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Freeky

Quote from: Sir Squid Diddimus on November 17, 2010, 08:49:34 PM
Quote from: Freeky on November 17, 2010, 07:49:17 PM
Quote from: Sir Squid Diddimus on November 17, 2010, 07:42:26 PM
a Peculiar Discordian Pepper Pass-off?

This reminds me.

CARAMELS?

Also, have you had any jam yet?

fuck.
NO TIEM!

Also, yes, had jam, is good :thumb:

No worries.

Awesome! :D

Jasper

I just want to know how the name "cock sauce" became so popular without anyone (but me) ever say it with a hint of humor.

Triple Zero

Ahhhh so that is Sriracha sauce! I used to have that stuff, it's awesome. Not insanely spicy but good-spicy and indeed suitable to put on pretty much everything. It's basically a bit firmer and seedless version of chilli paste, compared to the sambal I generally use (which is a lot cheaper).

Didn't know it was called Sriracha, but we get the same bottle. Gotta get some of that stuff now. I think the Asian supermarket closeby should have it.

Also I should find some different types of peppers for my own processing. Generally available in the supermarkets are regular chilli peppers (medium hot) and Madame Jeanette/Adjoema peppers (very similar to Scotch Bonnet peppers). Unfortunately not only are these Adjoema peppers somewhat too insanely hot for my tastes, I also really don't like the taste they have on their own, besides the hotness. I dunno, if you ignore the hotness, a regular red chilli pepper tastes pretty much like a bell-pepper/paprika. But the Adjoema/Jeanette--it's hard to describe something you can only taste for a few seconds before your mouth is aflame--it's kinda ... floral?

Don't really like them. I wonder if Habaneros would be better or different, because according to Wikipedia they're really closely related. At least the hotness is comparable.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Sriracha is good, I enjoy it a lot, but the only sauce I've ever put on everything was Cajun Power garlic sauce.

My meals were mere vehicles for the sauce for a solid year.

Oh god, my mouth is watering profusely just thinking about it.
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Triple Zero on November 18, 2010, 10:17:37 AM
Ahhhh so that is Sriracha sauce! I used to have that stuff, it's awesome. Not insanely spicy but good-spicy and indeed suitable to put on pretty much everything. It's basically a bit firmer and seedless version of chilli paste, compared to the sambal I generally use (which is a lot cheaper).

Didn't know it was called Sriracha, but we get the same bottle. Gotta get some of that stuff now. I think the Asian supermarket closeby should have it.

Also I should find some different types of peppers for my own processing. Generally available in the supermarkets are regular chilli peppers (medium hot) and Madame Jeanette/Adjoema peppers (very similar to Scotch Bonnet peppers). Unfortunately not only are these Adjoema peppers somewhat too insanely hot for my tastes, I also really don't like the taste they have on their own, besides the hotness. I dunno, if you ignore the hotness, a regular red chilli pepper tastes pretty much like a bell-pepper/paprika. But the Adjoema/Jeanette--it's hard to describe something you can only taste for a few seconds before your mouth is aflame--it's kinda ... floral?

Don't really like them. I wonder if Habaneros would be better or different, because according to Wikipedia they're really closely related. At least the hotness is comparable.

if you don't enjoy the floral qualities of a scotch bonnet, you probably won't enjoy a habanero either. Most people can't tell the difference between the two. If you want something a little hotter than medium (what i think of as jalapeno-hot) and with a little more flavor as well, see if you can find some santa fe chilis, or some serranos.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Triple Zero

Ah, thanks for the advice :)

Also, so describing the taste as "somewhat floral-like" is in line with your experiences then? Cause I was breaking my head on how to describe it, and maybe I was crazy describing it as such :-)
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

East Coast Hustle

nope, that's exactly how I describe the flavor of scotch bonnets that lingers behind the heat.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

LMNO

Yeah, they actually have a really wonderful flavor if you can make it past the heat.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Sigmatic on November 17, 2010, 09:31:41 PM
I just want to know how the name "cock sauce" became so popular without anyone (but me) ever say it with a hint of humor.

I don't know, but I do think it's funny that there's cock sauce AND chicken sauce, and they're both chili sauces, but different.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

geekdad

Quote from: Nigel on November 18, 2010, 08:57:14 PM
Quote from: Sigmatic on November 17, 2010, 09:31:41 PM

I don't know, but I do think it's funny that there's cock sauce AND chicken sauce, and they're both chili sauces, but different.

New field of study? Condiment Husbandry[\i]
Making you think you're crazy is a billion dollar industry.
If they could sell sanity in a bottle
They'd be charging for compressed air,
And marketing healthcare.

Triple Zero

Quote from: First City Hustle on November 18, 2010, 07:36:07 PM
nope, that's exactly how I describe the flavor of scotch bonnets that lingers behind the heat.

Cool :D

Quote from: LMNO, PhD on November 18, 2010, 07:37:28 PM
Yeah, they actually have a really wonderful flavor if you can make it past the heat.

Maybe you're right and it just wasn't what I expected a pepper to taste like, combined with the traumatizing (heh) experience of extreme heat might have caused a negative imprint :)

So, I bought myself 4oz of the stuff.

not sure yet if I'm going to cook with it or pulp it with denatured alcohol to extract the capsaicin ...

East Coast Hustle

best advice I can give for making hot sauce out of scotch bonnets:

don't go as heavy on the vinegar as you would with most hot pepper sauces. Instead, use ground carrot and/or some combination of mango and papaya as the filler for the sauce. Their sweetness will balance out the heat while still complimenting the natural flavor of the pepper. A little lime juice goes well with it also.

trippinprincezz13

There's no sun shine coming through her ass, if you are sure of your penis.

Paranoia is a disease unto itself, and may I add, the person standing next to you, may not be who they appear to be, so take precaution.

If there is no order in your sexual life it may be difficult to stay with a whole skin.

Triple Zero

Quote from: First City Hustle on November 19, 2010, 04:31:20 PM
best advice I can give for making hot sauce out of scotch bonnets:

don't go as heavy on the vinegar as you would with most hot pepper sauces. Instead, use ground carrot and/or some combination of mango and papaya as the filler for the sauce. Their sweetness will balance out the heat while still complimenting the natural flavor of the pepper. A little lime juice goes well with it also.

Cool. I might try that! Would it be a good idea to mix in some regular chilli peppers too?

And about the seeds. The capsaicin is in the spongy stuff that holds the seeds, not in the seeds themselves, so for a good sauce it'd be good to remove them. Except I prefer to touch the madame jeanette's as less as possible, cause I can never seem to remove the capsaicin from my fingers entirely. Suggestions?

Sir Squid Diddimus