News:

Several times a month, I will be in a store aisle reaching for something and feel a hand going up the inside of my thigh. When I turn around to find myself alone with a woman, and ask her if she would prefer me to hold still so she can get a better feel for the situation, oftentimes she will act "shocked" claiming nothing had happened, it must be somebody else...

Main Menu

When did cool become uncool?

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, November 20, 2010, 08:51:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Nigel on November 21, 2010, 02:33:05 AM
I don't KILL hipsters. I AM hipsters.

ALL OF IT.

Then you have to be filled with so much irony that nothing can ever, ever be cool again, because it's not authentic.

And then Lenny Bruce will come back from the dead and BECOME SHIVA, DESTROYER OF OREGON.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"Irony" and "Authenticity" are projections of the observer.

I will wear my "PROUD TO BE AWESOME" T-shirt and my comfy ratty blue hoodie, and my $5 Mossimo jeans off eBay, and my black Doc Martens, and I will go help Mr. Language finish moving and then I will go get a cheap bourbon at Biddy McGraws because that is where my friend's gospel band is playing, (which is a cool band now so young people who like cool things go to see them), with my pink bangs, and observers will see a hipster. That is all that matters; the hipster is actually created by the act of observation; by projecting motivations onto strangers, the hipster is created, but only exists during the time it is being observed.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Nigel on November 21, 2010, 02:41:53 AM

I will wear my "PROUD TO BE AWESOME" T-shirt and my comfy ratty blue hoodie, and my $5 Mossimo jeans off eBay, and my black Doc Martens, and I will go help Mr. Language finish moving and then I will go get a cheap bourbon at Biddy McGraws because that is where my friend's gospel band is playing, (which is a cool band now so young people who like cool things go to see them), with my pink bangs, and observers will see a hipster. That is all that matters; the hipster is actually created by the act of observation; by projecting motivations onto strangers, the hipster is created, but only exists during the time it is being observed.

Quantum Hipsters?

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on November 21, 2010, 02:44:28 AM
Quote from: Nigel on November 21, 2010, 02:41:53 AM

Quantum Hipsters?

BINGO.

I am actually the God Hipster; the singular hipster which exists simultaneously at all points in time and space. I appear to be a different hipster to different observers, but I am brought into existence by the act of observation and cease to exist when I am not being observed.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

Dysnomia

I also say dude (well everyone here still says it cuz it's california and I'm dangerously close to surferland).  and also sick.
It's all fun and games, till someone gets herpes.

http://cdn.smosh.com/smosh-pit/122010/mow-the-lawn.gif

Fredfredly ⊂(◉‿◉)つ

Epimetheus

I use as much California slang as I can get my hands on. I do it ironically:wink:

In regards to OP, I dunno, I don't encounter that kind of intolerance for cool. Doesn't "cool" just mean "I like that"? Disgust for liking cool things makes not a shred of sense to me. I pity the fool who participates in it.
POST-SINGULARITY POCKET ORGASM TOAD OF RIGHTEOUSNESS

Jasper

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Epimetheus on November 21, 2010, 07:31:57 AM
I use as much California slang as I can get my hands on. I do it ironically:wink:

In regards to OP, I dunno, I don't encounter that kind of intolerance for cool. Doesn't "cool" just mean "I like that"? Disgust for liking cool things makes not a shred of sense to me. I pity the fool who participates in it.

There is only one context where that anti-cool judgment comes up, actually.

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: Doktor Vitriol on November 20, 2010, 09:50:39 PM
I was into cool before it was fashionable. My life has been dedicated to the pursuit of cool. I studied the greatest living icon of cool - Fonzie. Anyone wants to slag me off cos Fonzie isn't cool anymore? Witnesses will squeal something along the lines of, "COOL! That guy just tore that other dudes spine out through his asshole. 8)

This.  I watched Happy Days reruns on Nick at Night when I was 10 or so, and The Fonz has been my cool exemplar ever since.  I once Fonzie'd a car whose electrical system was failing.  One good knock to the dashboard flared it all back to life - and there were witnesses.

I should point out that I'm decidedly uncool though, and I'm completely alright with that.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Dysnomia

LIZZAY IS VERY COOLL

JUST LOOK AT THAT SHIRT
It's all fun and games, till someone gets herpes.

http://cdn.smosh.com/smosh-pit/122010/mow-the-lawn.gif

BabylonHoruv

As someone who was decidedly uncool as a kid and got beat p for it now and then I can't say i am too sad to see cool dying.
You're a special case, Babylon.  You are offensive even when you don't post.

Merely by being alive, you make everyone just a little more miserable

-Dok Howl

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Faust

I don't think I've ever heard cool used here, its not really in the dialect, some of the local synonyms here I Like are:
Boss, Sound and Disco.
Sleepless nights at the chateau