News:

Endorsement:  I know that all of you fucking discordians are just a bunch of haters who seem to do anything you can to distance yourself from fucking anarchists which is just fine and dandy sit in your house on your computer and type inane shite all day until your fingers fall off.

Main Menu

The size of your brain's visual cortex determines whether optical illusions fool

Started by Telarus, December 10, 2010, 01:16:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Telarus

Following closely on the heels of "Sweet Eris' nipples, we have Taste Buds in our Lungs", we have this intriguing story.

http://io9.com/5707352/the-size-of-your-brains-visual-cortex-determines-whether-optical-illusions-fool-you

I can force myself to correct the optical illusion by 'void-focus', or focusing through the image or on the background, and then re-focusing on both center circles at once. There was a time I couldn't do that, but nowadays, every time I run into an optical illusion, I try to "see" it both ways by conscious effort.
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Jasper

Stupid contrast effect!  :argh!:  Why do we have that?

Yeah, if I focus on the center circles I get fooled, but if I kind of unfocus my eyes and see the whole picture, it becomes apparent.

Requia ☣

What's the optical illusion in that one supposed to be?  Center circle on the right is larger?
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Golden Applesauce

Q: How regularly do you hire 8th graders?
A: We have hired a number of FORMER 8th graders.

Jasper

After staring at it for a couple seconds, I lose the ability to see the illusion. :(