News:

I liked how they introduced her, like "her mother died in an insane asylum thinking she was Queen Victoria" and my thought was, I like where I think this is going. I was not disappointed.

Main Menu

String Theory? Nah.

Started by Telarus, December 16, 2010, 10:09:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Telarus

http://science.slashdot.org/story/10/12/16/1423254/String-Theory-Tested-Fails-Black-Hole-Predictions

String Theory always sounded a bit _off_ to me. I wonder if this will lead to a re-structured theory, or just more wank.
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Requia ☣

Part of the problem with string theory is that its trivial to adjust the theory to make it fit new observations.  So yes it will be refined, and match the new data, but its so easy to do this that its almost impossible to come up with an experiment that might disprove it.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Telarus

:lol: Yeah, this is the only experimental data I've ever heard of that relates to string theory.
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Requia ☣

Nah, they get data that relates to string theory all the time.  Some of the biggest gaps between prediction and observation ever recorded came from string theory (I believe they were off by 100 orders of magnitude at one point, something to do with dark energy).
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

LMNO

If you've been reading the LessWrong sequences, cross-reference String Theory with "Phlogiston".

President Television

Quote from: LMNO, PhD on December 17, 2010, 02:02:10 PM
If you've been reading the LessWrong sequences, cross-reference String Theory with "Phlogiston".
:lol:
My shit list: Stephen Harper, anarchists that complain about taxes instead of institutionalized torture, those people walking, anyone who lets a single aspect of themselves define their entire personality, salesmen that don't smoke pipes, Fredericton New Brunswick, bigots, philosophy majors, my nemesis, pirates that don't do anything, criminals without class, sociopaths, narcissists, furries, juggalos, foes.

Kai

Quote from: LMNO, PhD on December 17, 2010, 02:02:10 PM

This.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Jasper

I've been entertaining myself with model dependent realism lately, so I'm just going to slightly downgrade the theoretical usefulness of string theories in general, and strongly downgrade the ones whose predictions failed.

Epimetheus

Quote from: Sigmatic on December 20, 2010, 10:34:20 PM
I've been entertaining myself with model dependent realism lately, so I'm just going to slightly downgrade the theoretical usefulness of string theories in general, and strongly downgrade the ones whose predictions failed.

Made me think of modal realism, which I entertain myself with every day.
POST-SINGULARITY POCKET ORGASM TOAD OF RIGHTEOUSNESS

Jasper

Kinda sounds like the Evrett Interpretation of QM.

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

QuoteThe short of it is simply that as far as they could tell, 'No experimental evidence for microscopic black holes has been found.' The long statement indicates that since the highly precise CMS detector found no spray of sub-atomic particles of normal matter while LHC smashed particles together, the hypothesis by String Theory that micro black holes would be formed and quickly evaporated in this experiment was incorrect.

Now this doesn't necessarily show that microscopic black-holes don't form under those conditions. It sounds plausible to me that a micro black-hole could have formed but not evaporated, falling instead through the accelerator into the center of the Earth, where it will grow and fester until eventually Richard sharpe Shaver is proven correct, :D at which point we'll all be royally screwed
Praise NHGH! For the tribulation of all sentient beings.

a plague on both your houses -Mercutio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrTGgpWmdZQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVWd7nPjJH8

It is an unfortunate fact that every man who seeks to disseminate knowledge must contend not only against ignorance itself, but against false instruction as well. No sooner do we deem ourselves free from a particularly gross superstition, than we are confronted by some enemy to learning who would plunge us back into the darkness -H.P.Lovecraft

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster -Nietzsche

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHhrZgojY1Q

You are a fluke of the universe, and whether you can hear it of not the universe is laughing behind your back -Deteriorata

Don't use the email address in my profile, I lost the password years ago