News:

PD.com: children are filled with joy, adults are filled with dread and local government is filled with stupid

Main Menu

Kai, your opinion on this...

Started by Telarus, December 16, 2010, 10:36:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Telarus

Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Kai

Quote from: Telarus on December 16, 2010, 10:36:15 PM
http://www.technologyreview.com/blog/arxiv/26059/?ref=rss

The same sort of super reductionism that physicists have been toting for years. Sure, it sounds awesome in print, but ask a physicist to explain how a cell works, and they don't have a fucking clue.

It's a mixture of Dunning-Kruger effect and pure arrogance. I'm not saying that everything in the universe isn't reducible to amplitudes in configuration, but that the pure complexity of configurations in biology is far above and beyond the simple problems physicists like to handle. Comparing cell theory to superconductivity is like comparing a human nervous system to that of a rotifer. There are simply not enough molecules in the universe to populate a computer that could describe the possible interactions.

Let them solve protein folding with their models, and then we'll talk. Oh wait, not going to happen.

Also, way way too much (and poor) use of the word "emergence". That's a holy word, and therefore should be used sparingly, and in proper time.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Kai

The other part of the arrogance is that biologists have been working on the homeostatic equilbrium or "anentropy" problem for YEARS, that they've already been using mathematics and chemistry and yes, physics, to describe it.

It's like that XKCD comic, which I can't find.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Telarus

:lulz:

Exactly why I asked the question. Thanks Kai. I'll re-read the article with that in mind.
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: ϗ on December 20, 2010, 04:57:29 AM
The other part of the arrogance is that biologists have been working on the homeostatic equilbrium or "anentropy" problem for YEARS, that they've already been using mathematics and chemistry and yes, physics, to describe it.

It's like that XKCD comic, which I can't find.

Kai