News:

You're miserable, edgy and tired. You're in the perfect mood for PD.com.

Main Menu

I GOT A CROCK POT FOR CHRISTMAS.

Started by Suu, January 03, 2011, 01:10:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Triple Zero

In emergency situations, you can also try to blend some pieces of bread with water, for starch. It's not as good, but it kind of works. Just blend it real smooth.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Suu

It was so good.

The chicken...it just sorta... melted.

Stomach...gonna pop...
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Jenne

Oh hey:

Quote from: Jenne on January 10, 2011, 12:35:19 AM

TODAY I crockpotted (ha! is that a VERB??) some chicken and put green pepper and onion slices on top, added half a can of shitty beer (waste not, want not, yo), then poured some thai bbq sauce over that.  We'll see what happens.

Suu

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Sir Squid Diddimus

You can put a duck in the crockpot with not much but it's own fat, a couple sprigs of thyme and some salt.
Holy shit... that's all I can say.

Suu

Oh I do enjoy some good duck. And that would probably cook it nicely without it drying out too. OM NOM NOM.

Precious Moments Zalgo

My wife is a big fan of Phyllis Pellman's Fix-it and Forget-it series -- hundreds of crock-pot recipes.  http://fix-itandforget-it.com/
I will answer ANY prayer for $39.95.*

*Unfortunately, I cannot give refunds in the event that the answer is no.

Jenne

Quote from: Suu on January 10, 2011, 04:50:08 PM
And? How was it?

Yum!  Put it over rice.  It came out a little sweet-n-sour b/c I added some British pickle to it for depth--the bbq sauce I used was a little weak.  But it was tasty in the end!

Now I'm going to make crockpot enchiladas...will tell you how that turns out.

Jenne

Quote from: Pastor-Mullah Zappathruster on January 10, 2011, 06:09:56 PM
My wife is a big fan of Phyllis Pellman's Fix-it and Forget-it series -- hundreds of crock-pot recipes.  http://fix-itandforget-it.com/

*checking this out*

Suu

Jenne is just as obsessed as I am now!  :lulz:

Jenne

Quote from: Suu on January 10, 2011, 08:29:14 PM
Jenne is just as obsessed as I am now!  :lulz:

I'm a busy girl!  Crockpot cuts the time in half...you just gotta be disciplined enough to think about dinner before 4 pm.  Which, typically, I'm not.  :lulz:

Triple Zero

I just image-searched "crock pot", cause I realized I was envisioning some sort of big black cauldron .. :) I always thought they were like a kind of really big cast-iron "Dutch oven" ..

but ... wait a fucking minute, these things have built-in heating?????? holy fuck!

I MUST HAVE ONE!!

(also, checking wikipedia on crockpots, maybe this is common knowledge, but this is good to know, blanch vegetables first to kill the vitamin destroying enzymes and not using fresh kidney beans apparently: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crock_pot#Disadvantages )

I'm getting a cast iron "Dutch oven" (really? is there no normal word for this type of pan?) as a late birthday present, btw. Huge thing I saw at the new kitchen shop here. Costs €80 or so, I'm paying half of it myself, but I'm gonna make AWESOME stews and shit with that one :D Ok it's got no built-in heating, but that's okay I just put it on a low gas flame. Except I'm kind of hesitant to leave the house with the gas on, even if it's just a tiny flame. What if it stutters and goes out and then fills my apartment with gas, you know.

Anyway this thread reminded me I still need to buy that thing. Because I thought a crockpot was the same thing :oops:
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Suu

Quote from: Triple Zero on January 10, 2011, 11:40:05 PM
I just image-searched "crock pot", cause I realized I was envisioning some sort of big black cauldron .. :) I always thought they were like a kind of really big cast-iron "Dutch oven" ..

but ... wait a fucking minute, these things have built-in heating?????? holy fuck!

I MUST HAVE ONE!!

(also, checking wikipedia on crockpots, maybe this is common knowledge, but this is good to know, blanch vegetables first to kill the vitamin destroying enzymes and not using fresh kidney beans apparently: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crock_pot#Disadvantages )

I'm getting a cast iron "Dutch oven" (really? is there no normal word for this type of pan?) as a late birthday present, btw. Huge thing I saw at the new kitchen shop here. Costs €80 or so, I'm paying half of it myself, but I'm gonna make AWESOME stews and shit with that one :D Ok it's got no built-in heating, but that's okay I just put it on a low gas flame. Except I'm kind of hesitant to leave the house with the gas on, even if it's just a tiny flame. What if it stutters and goes out and then fills my apartment with gas, you know.

Anyway this thread reminded me I still need to buy that thing. Because I thought a crockpot was the same thing :oops:

A "crock pot" is a commercial name for an electric slow cooker. A Dutch oven is a cast iron pot you use to slow cook in the oven or on the stove top. Both are pretty indispensable in their own way, because there are things you can do in a Dutch that you can't do in a crock pot, like deep fry. And you can't leave a Dutch oven unattended whereas you can put all the stuff you want done into the crock pot, set the temp and 4-6-8-10-12 hours later, you have a fully cooked meal.

Jenne

Ok, Suu, so all I did was layer the tortillas at the bottom of the crockpot--greasing the bottom first and then splashing a bit of the enchilada sauce at the bottom first like you do when making a pan of them.  Then you layer beans/meat/whatever the filling is on top of the tortilla, plus a bit of sauce and a bit of cheese, all the way till your crockpot or your vision of this loveliness screams UNCLE!  Then pour a generous amount of the sauce over the top when you're done, heap some more cheese, and then hours later you have cheesy YUMMY goodness.  And it cooks down so that you can section it off like an enchilada CAKE.  I had sour cream and cilantro to throw on top as garnish.

Sir Squid Diddimus

Quote from: Suu on January 10, 2011, 05:54:33 PM
Oh I do enjoy some good duck. And that would probably cook it nicely without it drying out too. OM NOM NOM.

Amazingly, the meat came out moist and the skin on top (on legs, but not breast) came out brown and crispy