News:

I hate both of you because your conversation is both navel-gazing and puerile

Main Menu

BREAKING: MAN CHANGES GLASS OF WATER INTO AN OAK TREE!

Started by themenniss, January 09, 2011, 04:09:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

Quote from: Cramulus on January 10, 2011, 06:56:25 PM
well I had a lot of fun thinking about it, and it drew my attention to the relationship between words and the things they represent. So to me, it wasn't crap or a troll.

Apologies.  Since this is another manifestation of Map/Territory, I was quite sure you had already gone down this road before, multiple times.

Cramulus

it's not enough to hear about these things and then walk around all enlightened or some shit - I need constant reminders of my cognitive biases, and that the material plane is only part of the story.

I'm also on a gnostic kick this week, so I'm enjoying revisiting my opinions and ideas from a more gnostic point of view. I'm not usually into spirit/matter dualism, but this week I'm giving it a mental shot. This article seemed like a good way to highlight the conceptual/spiritual world that lurks behind the physical one.

The Good Reverend Roger

Oh, well then.  I guess Nigel really IS a dragon.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Cramulus

if you interpret the OP literally, it does sound silly

Cain

This thread is mired in Cartesian Duality.

No, it really actually is this time.

Jenne

Quote from: themenniss on January 10, 2011, 06:26:05 PM
Hooray for René  :lol:

I find it absurd how much our brain just filters out as ''unimportant''.
As young infants we never did this. A conversation in this room was just as important as he dishwasher in the next. Sure before around 18-24 months we didn't have a measurable sense of self but our senses requiring outside input were superhuman. Yet if we experienced that sort of unfiltered input in adult life it'd fuck us up. Royally. It's a shame really. I'd love to experience that unfiltered input whist being self aware even if just for a moment.  :cry:

Who is by brain to make all these decisions as to what i am aware of at any one time?  :argh!:

:cn:

Adios

Damn. I seriously thought this thread was started for the comedy.

Going to my room now.

The Good Reverend Roger

If words don't actually represent the things they're supposed to represent, then communication is impossible, and we should all go drown ourselves in patchouli.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Jasper

Quote from: Charley Brown on January 10, 2011, 07:11:12 PM

Going to my room now.

It was, but then it wasn't, and then it was, and then it wasn't.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: themenniss on January 10, 2011, 06:26:05 PM
Hooray for René  :lol:

I find it absurd how much our brain just filters out as ''unimportant''.
As young infants we never did this. A conversation in this room was just as important as he dishwasher in the next. Sure before around 18-24 months we didn't have a measurable sense of self but our senses requiring outside input were superhuman. Yet if we experienced that sort of unfiltered input in adult life it'd fuck us up. Royally. It's a shame really. I'd love to experience that unfiltered input whist being self aware even if just for a moment.  :cry:

Who is by brain to make all these decisions as to what i am aware of at any one time?  :argh!:

That's what LSD is for.  Take a hit, and spend the next 8 irreplaceable hours of your life seeing everything at once.  Hint:  It makes you into a moron.

Jenne

Quote from: Charley Brown on January 10, 2011, 07:11:12 PM

Going to my room now.

Aw, Hawk.  You know how this place rolls. 

(downhill)

hooplala

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 10, 2011, 07:12:10 PM
If words don't actually represent the things they're supposed to represent, then communication is impossible, and we should all go drown ourselves in patchouli.

Art is intended to challenge conceptions and provoke discussion... your mind is clearly made up on this particular matter, and that's perfectly fine, but it begs the question: why are you still wasting your time in this thread?
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Phox

Quote from: Hoopla on January 10, 2011, 07:16:18 PM

Art is intended to challenge conceptions and provoke discussion... your mind is clearly made up on this particular matter, and that's perfectly fine, which then begs raises the question: why are you still wasting your time in this thread?

Because some of us like ridiculing the ridiculous.

hooplala

Quote from: Doktor Phox on January 10, 2011, 07:18:12 PM

Art is intended to challenge conceptions and provoke discussion... your mind is clearly made up on this particular matter, and that's perfectly fine, which then begs raises the question: why are you still wasting your time in this thread?

Because some of us like ridiculing the ridiculous.

Funny, I only saw you whining about puns. 
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

The Good Reverend Roger

Art is intended to challenge conceptions and provoke discussion... your mind is clearly made up on this particular matter, and that's perfectly fine, but it begs the question: why are you still wasting your time in this thread?

How long have you known me, Hoops?   :lulz:

Also, "challenging conceptions" may be a VERY valid reason for art - not to mention critical thinking - deciding that words don't actually mean anything doesn't actually fall under that description.  No, it's more of a "teenagers at Starbucks discussing 'philosophy'" thing.

I feel the same way about number theory, incidentally.  2+2=4, and if you can't prove that on your fingers, you're either an amputee, or someone looking for a grant.