News:

Endorsement from MysticWicks: "The most fatuous, manipulative, and venomous people to be found here are all of the discordian genre."

Main Menu

Share my misery

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, January 14, 2011, 07:14:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AFK

Quote from: LMNO, PhD on January 14, 2011, 01:50:40 PM
In related news, today is 1/14/11. 

Did you know that date only happens ONCE EVERY HUNDRED YEARS!?

There must be something very important about those numbers, if they occur so rarely on a calender.

It's a key to a parallel universe where it is 1/14/11 EVERY DAY!  We just need someone to open the wormhole. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

It may be quite controversial, but Mr. Language thinks we should promote this esoteric knowledge as widely as possible, starting as early as 1st grade.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

LMNO

HOW DARE YOU SUGGEST WE DAMAGE OUR CHILDREN WITH ARITHMATIC!
                               /
:teabagger1:

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I am imagining a future world where application of these mysterious formulas bestow upon us great powers, like flying machines and distance communication.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

LMNO

StochasticProvost

Shit man. Math is for commies. And fascists. And Muslims. You know the ARABS invented zero and algebra, don't you?

Real Amurrrricans don't truck with that bullshit.

Fuckin' numbers.

(seriously, this doesn't even work if you haven't had a birthday this year, anyway. Even if you're stupid and think it's amazing, it doesn't even work!)

(( I asked an acquaitance of mine to do it for her very young daughter when she posted it. She was all "well, it's still 11! It's CLOSE ENOUGH! AMAAAAAAAAAZING!"))

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: MisterDiskord on January 14, 2011, 04:16:20 PM
Shit man. Math is for commies. And fascists. And Muslims. You know the ARABS invented zero and algebra, don't you?

Real Amurrrricans don't truck with that bullshit.

Fuckin' numbers.

(seriously, this doesn't even work if you haven't had a birthday this year, anyway. Even if you're stupid and think it's amazing, it doesn't even work!)

(( I asked an acquaitance of mine to do it for her very young daughter when she posted it. She was all "well, it's still 11! It's CLOSE ENOUGH! AMAAAAAAAAAZING!"))

It only "works" if you haven't had a birthday yet this year. Actually, it "works" either way, if by "work" we agree to mean "add numbers together to get a predictable outcome".

And it's still just simple addition, and I don't get why people find it so mind-blowing.

LMNO

Law of fives.  Find a way for a string of functions to end up in a recognizable number sequence, either the same digits repeating, or clustered, or sequential (111, 232323, 12345), and some people will think that "means" something.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Richter on January 14, 2011, 12:57:53 PM
Any numbering system is going to have tricks like this dependent on what number you count to before you go to the next decimal position.  You could blow these people's brains showing the the trick with multiples of 9.

I don't even feel like this could count as a "trick". Adding the number of years since you were born to the year you were born gets you... to now. I mean, fuck, people. Just...  FUCK.  :x

Jasper

Today I saw a license plate that said GCW-5401!!!

I mean WHAT ARE THE ODDS?!

Phox

Quote from: Sigmatic on January 14, 2011, 08:10:39 PM

:aaa:

LMNO

DID YOU KNOW...

If you add together any two Prime Numbers, the sum will always be even?!?!?!?!?!?

THAT'S SO WEIRD!

AFK

Dude, you know what the means right?  RIGHT?
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Jasper

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on January 14, 2011, 08:25:11 PM

Dude, you know what the means right?  RIGHT?

G-g-g-gaasp!!!  Not THAT!

Don Coyote

Quote from: Nigel on January 14, 2011, 04:13:03 PM
I am imagining a future world where application of these mysterious formulas bestow upon us great powers, like flying machines and distance communication.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!