News:

Testimonial: "This board is everything that's fucking wrong with the internet"

Main Menu

anybody else following [s]Skynet's[/s] Watson's progress?

Started by Elder Iptuous, February 16, 2011, 07:23:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Luna

Quote from: LMNO, PhD on February 17, 2011, 02:20:45 PM
Here's a Slate article about how it would be more impressive to teach Watson how to play no-limit Texas Hold 'Em against multiple opponents.

Call me silly, call me the product of too many years of science fiction, but the thought of teaching a computer it's okay to lie (even in the context of a game) gives me a bit of a wiggy.
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Adios

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on February 17, 2011, 02:29:05 AM
So, let me get this straight.  They built the world's biggest, most badass computer, and it...plays quiz shows.

OH, GODDAMMIT!

I hate people.  I fucking hate them.  Even the smart ones.  ESPECIALLY the smart ones.

I tend to agree with this.

Requia ☣

So, let me get this straight.  They built the world's biggest, most badass computer, and it...plays quiz shows.

OH, GODDAMMIT!

I hate people.  I fucking hate them.  Even the smart ones.  ESPECIALLY the smart ones.

I see this as a pretty damned useful project.  Yeah playing quiz shows won't accomplish much, but the same skills it needs to play quiz shows are the skills it needs to make a more functional research database (I believe the long term goal of this project is a medical database?).
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

AFK

Needs a little more refining though, just judging by some of the answers it was contemplating for some of the questions.  I could just see it not understanding a request and recommending an amputation instead of a couple of Advils. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Luna

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on February 18, 2011, 07:05:28 PM
Needs a little more refining though, just judging by some of the answers it was contemplating for some of the questions.  I could just see it not understanding a request and recommending an amputation instead of a couple of Advils. 

Better it screwed up on a game show, then.
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Requia ☣ on February 18, 2011, 06:57:57 PM

OH, GODDAMMIT!

I see this as a pretty damned useful project.  Yeah playing quiz shows won't accomplish much, but the same skills it needs to play quiz shows are the skills it needs to make a more functional research database (I believe the long term goal of this project is a medical database?).

Sometimes it's okay to just shut up and let people rage.  Just saying.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Golden Applesauce

Quote from: Luna on February 17, 2011, 02:35:17 PM
Quote from: LMNO, PhD on February 17, 2011, 02:20:45 PM
Here's a Slate article about how it would be more impressive to teach Watson how to play no-limit Texas Hold 'Em against multiple opponents.

Call me silly, call me the product of too many years of science fiction, but the thought of teaching a computer it's okay to lie (even in the context of a game) gives me a bit of a wiggy.

10 PRINT "P AND NOT P"
Q: How regularly do you hire 8th graders?
A: We have hired a number of FORMER 8th graders.

Elder Iptuous

I was just listening to an interview on NPR with Marshall brain, and in conversation he mentioned Watson and how big of an achievement it is.  In passing he said how it would be used for medicine, and for law, and for......
Wait.
Law?
I can't believe I hadn't really considered that much!
This, and similar software could have a Tremendous effect on how we do law...

Requia ☣

It would actually make it possible to keep track of the tens to hundreds of thousands of laws on the books...

I'm pretty sure that's not a good thing.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Don Coyote

Quote from: Requia ☣ on February 23, 2011, 09:07:25 PM
It would actually make it possible to keep track of the tens to hundreds of thousands of laws on the books...

The Computer does not make mistakes.
To go against the Computer is treason.
Treason is punishable by death.

Elder Iptuous

wouldn't it also point out the inconsistencies and superflousness in the laws?
it seems to me that if laws are going to be comprehensible, complete, and fair, then they should be able to be completely parsed.
as it stands the lawyers that run this show can't even do it.
how can the average citizen expect to get a fair shake?
what meaning is the 'rule of law' in that circumstance?
if we have an automated system that can make the immense pile of laws accessible to the individual, and illuminate the current absurdity of it, then i don't know that it would hurt...
seems that it would act as an impetus to make a more elegant system.

The Good Reverend Roger

Naw, they'd have named it KAFKA.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Iptuous on February 23, 2011, 09:24:22 PM

wouldn't it also point out the inconsistencies and superflousness in the laws?
it seems to me that if laws are going to be comprehensible, complete, and fair, then they should be able to be completely parsed.
as it stands the lawyers that run this show can't even do it.
how can the average citizen expect to get a fair shake?
what meaning is the 'rule of law' in that circumstance?
if we have an automated system that can make the immense pile of laws accessible to the individual, and illuminate the current absurdity of it, then i don't know that it would hurt...
seems that it would act as an impetus to make a more elegant system.

Law is a human institution.

The day I allow a computer to decide my legal status is the day I go postal.  EOS.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Canis latrans eques on February 23, 2011, 09:15:32 PM

The Computer does not make mistakes.
To go against the Computer is treason.
Treason is punishable by death.

The Computer wants you to be happy.
If you aren't happy, you may be used as reactor shielding.
Won't this be fun?

Elder Iptuous

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on February 23, 2011, 09:59:49 PM
Law is a human institution.

The day I allow a computer to decide my legal status is the day I go postal.  EOS.

sure, it's a human institution. we make these laws and declare that we will follow them as a rule, unless they are proven to be broken, in which case we are supposed to fix them.
the computer isn't creating law.
the computer isn't even 'thinking' about your legal status.
it's just parsing the huge pile of shit that we accept as the current rule set.
it's the law itself that determines your legal status, with the humans that created it supposedly acting as a safety net to intervene by amending the laws if necessary.
how will automated parsing of the laws change that?

i mean, i know what you're saying.  human nature is to take the easier path, and reliance upon a computer to dole out automated 'justice' would be a pitfall.  but right now, we're doing the same thing, except in place of the computer, we have lawyers and all the concomitant greed, politics, and general nastiness that we all know and hate....