News:

Endorsement: "I could go so far as to say they simply use Discordianism as a mechanism for causing havoc, and an excuse for mischief."

Main Menu

Anon's social engineering war against Sony

Started by Da6s, April 12, 2011, 07:10:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Da6s

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2011/04/anonymous-goes-after-sony-makes-it-personal-very-personal.ars

QuoteThe hacker collective Anonymous has attacked Sony websites all week, taking them down intermittently in retaliation for Sony's federal lawsuit against PlayStation 3 hacker George Hotz ("GeoHot"). But in recent days, "Operation Sony" morphed from a standard website attack into something a bit more personal, as some Anons formed a separate "Sony Recon" mission and began tracking down corporate executives, their wives, the schools their children attend, and the shops at which they buy their flowers. And the way they obtain that information can be ingenious—and disquieting.

Gathering this sort of information is referred to as "doxing" or collecting "dox" on targets, and such data is usually collected and distributed so that others can use it "for the lulz"—amusement, legitimate protest, or harassment.

Public information sources, if properly collated, can supply a wealth of detail. For instance, when a Sony exec's address was located, it was the work of a few moments on local government websites to find out what he pays in taxes, how large the house is, and who lives next door.

When public information just won't do, a bit of social engineering can sometimes supply an answer. It was social engineering that played a role in the Anonymous attacks on HBGary, and some Anonymous operatives are quite skilled at exploiting others.

For instance, one of Sony Recon's key players decided to find the home address and phone number of Sony Computer Entertainment America head Jack Tretton, and he claims to have succeeded using a clever social hack. Here's how it allegedly happened, over four hours:
We appear to be doomed by our DNA to repeat the same destructive behaviors our forebears have repeated for millenia. If anything our problem solving skills have actually diminished with the advent of technology & our ubiquitous modern conveniences. & yet despite our predisposition towards fear-driven hostility; towards what we anachronistically term primitive behavior another instinct is just as firmly encoded in our make-up. We are capable as our ancestors were of incredible breathtaking acts of kindness. Every hour of every day a man risks his life at a moments notice to save another. Forget for a moment the belligerent benevolent billionaires who grant the unfortunate a crumb of costfree cake. I speak of pure acts of selflessness. A Mother who rushes into the street to save a child from a speeding vehicle. A person who runs into a burning building to reach a family trapped on the upper story. Such actions,such moments,such unconscious selfless decisions,define what it is to be human

LMNO

While interesting, I feel that this kind of stuff crosses a line.

Luna

Quote from: LMNO, PhD on April 12, 2011, 01:53:25 PM

Straight over the line to creepy stalker shit.
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

E.O.T.

"a good fight justifies any cause"

LMNO

Not to mention, it's sloppy thinking.

Sony's CEO isn't the one bringing the lawsuit.  It's the cadre of lawyers they hire to keep tabs on their copyrights.  Anon should be finding ways of getting in there and fucking things up--deleting files, adding misinformation, leaking info.

By the way, that's also hella illegal, and no one should do that, ever.

Richter

It's WAY out of line, distributing data on people's children just because of who they work for.  I can't see a good reason for anyone to want to know that.
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Luna

Quote from: Richter on April 12, 2011, 06:01:15 PM

It's WAY out of line, distributing data on people's children just because of who they work for.  I can't see a good reason for anyone to want to know that.

Fixed.  Leave the kids alone, it's not their fault.
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Dysfunctional Cunt

Quote from: Luna on April 12, 2011, 06:09:24 PM
Quote from: Richter on April 12, 2011, 06:01:15 PM

Fixed.  Leave the kids alone, it's not their fault.

Yeah I agree.  You don't fuck with people's kids period.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Yeah, the problem with affiliating oneself with Anonymous is that people with shitty judgment and no ethical sense also affiliate themselves with Anonymous. 
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

LMNO

Where's Wise Beard Man when you really need him?

Jasper

Bringing kids into it is pretty evil minded.  Other than that, I don't particularly object to harshing corporate types just on general principles.

Dysfunctional Cunt

I've honestly had few issues with most of what Anon has done and I have been actively involved in some of their endeavors here in St. Louis.  It's one thing to protest, it's quite another to start fucking with major corporations illegally.  I say that after having fully supported the hacking of the WBC site.  I could give two shits about those fuckers, but Sony, yeah they will come after you guns blazing.

I mean hell, yes the Scientologists might have killed, us but our kids were safe. The WBC may have protested or even prayed for our eternal damnation, but our kids were safe. Sony will fuck you up where even your kids won't be able to recover from it.

Jasper

If any corporation is as badass as you say it is, I'm inclined to hate them and want their CEOs fucked with even more.

Because there's only one thing I hate more than profit maximizers, and that's tyrants.

LMNO

Not the point, in this case.

Anon said they were doing this because of Sony's legal case against a hacker, not because Sony was a tyrannical company.

Jasper

General principles, LMNO.  I am bigoted against corporate entities.