News:

MysticWicks endorsement: "At least Satanists HAVE a worldview. After reading this thread, I'm convinced that discordians not only don't, but will actively mock anyone who does."

Main Menu

Another brave, do-or-die moment from the democratic party.

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, June 12, 2011, 05:12:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chairman Risus

But raising it won't make the problem worse eventually?

Eve

Possibly, but eventually isn't right now so it's less of a concern?

^ I have no idea if that's true, just seems to be the way this country rolls.
Emotionally crippled narcissist.

Disco Pickle

"my account was hacked" is the new "the dog ate my homework" for dumb asses who send out picks of their junk and get caught.

Not only is he an idiot for doing it, but doing it wrong, and then lying about it for a week and assuming anyone with even average intelligence would believe that story.

I don't see why the Dems would WANT to be associated with the guy after all of that.
"Events in the past may be roughly divided into those which probably never happened and those which do not matter." --William Ralph Inge

"sometimes someone confesses a sin in order to take credit for it." -- John Von Neumann

Disco Pickle

Quote from: Eve on June 13, 2011, 02:27:08 PM

that line of thought is precisely the cause of the problems, and will continue to be for the foreseeable future.
"Events in the past may be roughly divided into those which probably never happened and those which do not matter." --William Ralph Inge

"sometimes someone confesses a sin in order to take credit for it." -- John Von Neumann

Precious Moments Zalgo

Quote from: Risus on June 13, 2011, 02:20:33 PM
Yes, eventually, but the US has painted itself into a corner and the problem is going to get worse no matter what they do.  Defaulting on the debt is probably the worst out of several bad options.

I think the debt ceiling will be raised.  The Republicans will agree to raise it in exchange for the Democrats agreeing to some token spending cuts, everyone will go home to their constituents and say, "We did our best.  Re-elect us so we can finish the job.", and the extend-and-pretend game will continue.
I will answer ANY prayer for $39.95.*

*Unfortunately, I cannot give refunds in the event that the answer is no.

Cramulus

Quote from: ☄ · · · N E T · · · ☄ on June 12, 2011, 08:18:54 PM
Quote from: Triple Zero on June 12, 2011, 07:16:49 PM
Wait, one's called Boehner and the other Weiner??? Those shapeshifting reptiles need to fucking grow up.

Don't forget Bush, former VP Dick and the infamous Santorum.

Weiner / Boehner 2012
★ ★ ★ "Going balls deep for America." ★ ★ ★
PAID ADVERTISEMENT BY 3RD GRADERS FOR A FUNNIER TOMORROW

:lulz: :lulz: :lulz:

Quote from: Disco Pickle on June 13, 2011, 02:28:05 PM
"my account was hacked" is the new "the dog ate my homework

WELL SAID

Eve

Quote from: Disco Pickle on June 13, 2011, 02:30:20 PM
Quote from: Eve on June 13, 2011, 02:27:08 PM

that line of thought is precisely the cause of the problems, and will continue to be for the foreseeable future.

But it's worked so well in the past!  :roll:  Same sad people making the same sad decisions. Occasionally with fancy new names.
Emotionally crippled narcissist.

Cain

Depends if you want the Financapocalypse now or later.

If the US defaults, everything goes to shit, NOW.  Seen Greece?  Imagine that in a country with severe ethnic tensions, a polity influenced towards violence and lots of small arms.

If the US raises its debt ceiling, it allows the international shell game of global political economy to continue.  Beijing and Frankfurt have too much invested in DC, right now, to want any status quo changes.  And they will fight tooth and nail to maintain things this way.  But if the US cannot legally borrow...

Of course it's only putting off the day of reckoning.  But are any of you prepared for the above scenario starting August 3rd?  Doubt it.

BabylonHoruv

Quote from: Risus on June 13, 2011, 02:20:33 PM

Not if we actually start paying down the debt.  If we default on it that's really really bad for our economy.  Raising the debt ceiling gives us the option to pay it off.  If we go on to default later, yes, that is worse than defaulting now.
You're a special case, Babylon.  You are offensive even when you don't post.

Merely by being alive, you make everyone just a little more miserable

-Dok Howl

Cain

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Cain

The thing is, if the US defaults now, it is fucked.  If it defaults later, it is fucked.   The only real difference is when you do want to be fucked?

In my case, always later.  I have a headache now.  No fucking for me.

Triple Zero

Quote from: Cramulus on June 13, 2011, 02:43:34 PM
Quote from: Disco Pickle on June 13, 2011, 02:28:05 PM
"my account was hacked" is the new "the dog ate my homework

WELL SAID

Everybody knows you should open your half-finished MS Word .doc file in Notepad, bash some random characters in the header and here and there halfway through, in order to corrupt it, save it and send that in. Buys you at least another two days after the deadline.

Triple Zero,
sometimes wished he was born a few years later

Quote from: Cain on June 13, 2011, 05:27:19 PM
Of course it's only putting off the day of reckoning.  But are any of you prepared for the above scenario starting August 3rd?  Doubt it.

OFUK :aww:

But being prepared in what way, for what situation exactly? Like the "Crazy Prepared" survivalist thread fending off hordes of screaming savages? Or just having as much savings as possible, in the right sort of valuta that'll be actually still worth something?
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Cain

Quote from: Triple Zero on June 13, 2011, 06:03:32 PM
But being prepared in what way, for what situation exactly? Like the "Crazy Prepared" survivalist thread fending off hordes of screaming savages? Or just having as much savings as possible, in the right sort of valuta that'll be actually still worth something?

The immediate consequences would be the cost of borrowing money will rise.  This will put a squeeze on the middle and lower classes.  Along with rises in food prices, you rapidly enter an equation where people will be struggling to pay for basic essentials.

The next step will be riots.  Maybe Egypt style, but probably closer to Syria in style, given US social fragmentation, acceptable discourses of violence and availability of weapons.

It's not a given the US will actually default, the more I think about it.  But the cost borrowing will rise, and the US will have to pay off debts, which will in effect lead to the same kind of structual readjustment beloved of the IMF.  Not that this is necessarily a good thing.  The former Chief Economist of the World Bank can take you through the steps.

Chairman Risus

Quote from: Cain on June 13, 2011, 06:02:21 PM
The thing is, if the US defaults now, it is fucked.  If it defaults later, it is fucked.   The only real difference is when you do want to be fucked?

In my case, always later.  I have a headache now.  No fucking for me.

So, what sort of things should someone do to prepare for this inevitable fuckery?