News:

You know what I always say? "Always kill the mouthy one", that's what I always say.

Main Menu

Finally....

Started by Telarus, July 22, 2011, 11:49:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Telarus

Finally, an official piece of software from the US DoD which which I can handily conver the Gregorian Date to the Discordian Date:

http://linux.slashdot.org/story/11/07/21/235215/A-Linux-Distro-From-the-US-Department-of-Defense
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Phox

... The Rock has come back to PD!
\
:jabroni:
Wait....
Quote from: Telarus on July 22, 2011, 11:49:35 AM
Finally, an official piece of software from the US DoD which which I can handily conver the Gregorian Date to the Discordian Date:

http://linux.slashdot.org/story/11/07/21/235215/A-Linux-Distro-From-the-US-Department-of-Defense
I do not at all see what you are getting at?  :?

Telarus

Oh, that's right, you don't have quite the memetic background I do.

The Pentagon is called the "Knights of the Five Sided Temple" in the PD and the Illuminatus! trilogy. Usually portrayed as pawns of whoever is at the head of the Illuminati, thrown at the Discordian Menace.

Linux includes the [ddate] function (has for a long, long, long time), which converts from Gregorian to Discordian calendars. Good to see our worthy Brothers finally catching up with the technological times. (Also, I just find the idea of a piece of discordian software on an official DoD release precious.)
Telarus, KSC,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,

Triple Zero

Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Don Coyote

Quote from: Telarus on July 22, 2011, 11:49:35 AM

This amuses me. :lulz:

Phox

Quote from: Telarus on July 22, 2011, 12:48:29 PM

The Pentagon is called the "Knights of the Five Sided Temple" in the PD and the Illuminatus! trilogy. Usually portrayed as pawns of whoever is at the head of the Illuminati, thrown at the Discordian Menace.

Linux includes the [ddate] function (has for a long, long, long time), which converts from Gregorian to Discordian calendars. Good to see our worthy Brothers finally catching up with the technological times. (Also, I just find the idea of a piece of discordian software on an official DoD release precious.)

Ah, much more sense making now.  :lulz:

Phox,
Still has not read Illuminatus!

SmokeyMcChickenson

[/quote]
Phox,
[/quote]

Lazy Sacrilege ,

Cosmic trigger is better.
Thus Spaketh The Inexhaustible Grace That Wipes All Our Asses.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: SmokeyMcChickenson on July 22, 2011, 08:37:18 PM

Phox,

Lazy Sacrilege ,

Cosmic trigger is better.

Wow.  A RAW snob.  That might actually be new.
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Phox on July 22, 2011, 06:53:37 PM

Phox,

I read 2/3 of it and then lost interest.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Nigel on July 22, 2011, 11:57:53 PM

Phox,

That 2/3rds deserved it.
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on July 22, 2011, 11:59:16 PM
Quote from: Nigel on July 22, 2011, 11:57:53 PM

Phox,

That 2/3rds deserved it.

:lulz:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Telarus

:lulz:

I'd say it's worth finishing, if only to have enough context to really dig into the appendices at the end. And you get to find out why the Narrative opens in the first book with a disembodied point of view which "misses" and manifests into a squirrel before homing it's lock onto Barney Goodman. If you're interested in that occult bullshit.

QuoteIt was the year when they finally immanentized the Eschaton. On April 1, the world's great powers came closer to nuclear war than ever before, all because of an obscure island named Fernando Poo. By the time international affairs returned to their normal cold-war level, some wits were calling it the most tasteless April Fool's joke in history. I happen to know all the details about what happened, but I have no idea how to recount them in a manner that will make sense to most readers. For instance, I am not even sure who' I am, and my embarrassment on that matter makes me wonder if you will believe anything I reveal. Worse yet, I am at the moment very conscious of a squirrel-in Central Park, just off Sixty-eighth Street, in New York City-that is leaping from one tree to another, and I think that happens on the night of April 23 (or is it the morning of April 24?), but fitting the squirrel together with Fernando Poo is, for the present, beyond my powers. I beg your tolerance. There is nothing I can do to make things any easier for any of us, and you will have to accept being addressed by a disembodied voice just as I accept the compulsion to speak out even though I am painfully aware that I am talking to an invisible, perhaps nonexistent, audience. Wise men have regarded the earth as a tragedy, a farce, even an illusionist's trick; but all, if they are truly wise and not merely intellectual rapists, recognize that it is certainly some kind of stage in which we all play roles, most of us being very poorly coached and totally unrehearsed before the curtain rises. Is it too much if I ask, tentatively, that we agree to look upon it as a circus, a touring carnival wandering about the sun for a record season of four billion years and producing new monsters and miracles, hoaxes and bloody mishaps, wonders and blunders, but never quite entertaining the customers well enough to prevent them from leaving, one by one, and returning to their homes for a long and bored winter's sleep under the dust? Then, say, for a while at least, that I have found an identity as ringmaster; but that crown sits uneasily on my head (if I have a head) and I must warn you that the troupe is small for a universe this size and many of us have to double or triple our stints, so you can expect me back in many other guises. Indeed do many things come to pass.

And some of it is, btw. I mean the occult bullshit in the appendices. Some of it's made-up.

RAW was using the I!3 books as an exercise in one of his guerrilla ontology techniques, namely, throw 5 pieces of complex truth and  2-3 pieces of complex BS (actually, this varied.. most of it was non-explained phenomena like the Fortean events, some of it was fiction) at the reader. Smudge the lines between one or two of them a little, and see how the 'audience' reacts. The later books perfected this and other techniques.

Also, most people haven't read Robert Shea's other works. I found Shea's All Things Are Lights a very well done historical action/illuminati adventure, with very intriguing undertones. Most people seeped in RAW don't seem to get that I!3 had 2 authors, both at the start of their careers.
Telarus, KSC,

Triple Zero

How do you even write a book with two authors like that?

(I've always wondered the same thing about Good Omens, btw)
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Telarus

Quote from: Triple Zero on July 23, 2011, 11:27:03 AM

You think that's bad? You should read the Thieves' World books. A bunch of authors free-form RPGing in a shared world, a couple of good solid rules (can't kill off a character you didn't introduce, but anything else is fair game). Great series actually.
Telarus, KSC,

Luna

Quote from: Telarus on July 23, 2011, 05:49:29 PM
Quote from: Triple Zero on July 23, 2011, 11:27:03 AM

You think that's bad? You should read the Thieves' World books. A bunch of authors free-form RPGing in a shared world, a couple of good solid rules (can't kill off a character you didn't introduce, but anything else is fair game). Great series actually.

Or, you could look at the Nessie thread.   :wink:
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."