News:

MysticWicks endorsement: "At least Satanists HAVE a worldview. After reading this thread, I'm convinced that discordians not only don't, but will actively mock anyone who does."

Main Menu

Occupy

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, October 02, 2011, 03:37:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doktor Howl

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on October 10, 2011, 01:54:22 PM
I was pretty sure this was going to happen, and I believe Roger had a rant concerning this: 

Liberal protest scope creep.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/10/07/politics/occupy-wall-street/index.html

Not content with staying on point, activists are starting to branch out and use the Occupy movement to further their own agenda.

I expect PETA to show up any time now.

HAW HAW!
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I think the best thing the Occupy movement could do is avoid standing behind a clearly stated goal or demand. The reason the press and politicians are so vocal about mocking/decrying them for their lack of a message is that lack is extremely threatening, in that it opens the movement to anyone who's dissatisfied. Which is nearly everyone.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Nigel on October 10, 2011, 06:10:13 PM
I think the best thing the Occupy movement could do is avoid standing behind a clearly stated goal or demand. The reason the press and politicians are so vocal about mocking/decrying them for their lack of a message is that lack is extremely threatening, in that it opens the movement to anyone who's dissatisfied. Which is nearly everyone.

Doesn't matter.  Each subgroup involved in the protest will HAVE to pimp out their own message, at the expense of the actual purpose of the occupy movement.

They can't help themselves.  Fanatics are that way.
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on October 10, 2011, 06:11:42 PM

Doesn't matter.  Each subgroup involved in the protest will HAVE to pimp out their own message, at the expense of the actual purpose of the occupy movement.

This is true.

However, the way Occupy Portland has been handling this so far is to treat any groups with an actual message as a separate group, and say that they are grateful to have their support.

Working fairly well so far. "Gosh war protesters, we're sure glad you came out to stand with us today!"

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Nigel on October 10, 2011, 06:19:35 PM

This is true.

However, the way Occupy Portland has been handling this so far is to treat any groups with an actual message as a separate group, and say that they are grateful to have their support.

Working fairly well so far. "Gosh war protesters, we're sure glad you came out to stand with us today!"

Problem:  The media just LOVES mixed messages.  So the anti-war guys have their signs, and the WTO guys have their signs, and the animal rights folks have THEIR signs, and the media settles into "Look at the cute activists", which is what they really, desperately want to do.
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on October 10, 2011, 06:21:30 PM

This is true.

Problem:  The media just LOVES mixed messages.  So the anti-war guys have their signs, and the WTO guys have their signs, and the animal rights folks have THEIR signs, and the media settles into "Look at the cute activists", which is what they really, desperately want to do.

Yes, they will latch onto anything to try to diffuse the threat. But the funny thing is that their responses are revealing that they ARE seeing it as a threat now, and I find that HILARIOUS.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Nigel on October 10, 2011, 06:25:06 PM

This is true.

Yes, they will latch onto anything to try to diffuse the threat. But the funny thing is that their responses are revealing that they ARE seeing it as a threat now, and I find that HILARIOUS.

So do I.  But they have this shit down to a science, now, and the inability of the left to stay on message will give them whatever they need to turn this into a joke like the anti-war rallies of 2003-2005.
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on October 10, 2011, 06:27:24 PM
Quote from: Nigel on October 10, 2011, 06:25:06 PM

This is true.

So do I.  But they have this shit down to a science, now, and the inability of the left to stay on message will give them whatever they need to turn this into a joke like the anti-war rallies of 2003-2005.

I am unconvinced. It's still picking up momentum... I predict it will last until flu breaks out in the encampments.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

(Next month. Though if I were the banks, I'd make sure it happened sooner than that.)

Pope Pixie Pickle

Triple Zero

But the people that get that, can do their utmost best to confuse matters, right?

And about picking up momentum ... REAL momentum gets picked up in less than 3 days. Otherwise it's just waiting until something happens.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Triple Zero on October 10, 2011, 07:56:52 PM

But the people that get that, can do their utmost best to confuse matters, right?

And about picking up momentum ... REAL momentum gets picked up in less than 3 days. Otherwise it's just waiting until something happens.

Are you saying that participation in Occupy HASN'T been picking up speed since the inception?  :? Because yesterday there was some sick number of thousands of people milling around Portland in the name of Occupy.

Triple Zero

No no, not at all, sorry.

I just read today is the 21st day of these protests?

How long did that Arab Spring stuff take before shit started changing?

It was more of a badly worded cheering on :)
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I mean...

It's still growing here.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Oh, OK. :) It's only been four days for Portland, but it's growing really fast.