News:

Mr Rogers is above all that nonsense.

Main Menu

Measles Outbreak.

Started by Prince Glittersnatch III, October 24, 2011, 11:36:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jenne

Quote from: Triple Zero on October 27, 2011, 06:51:50 PM
I'm pretty sure I got both mumps and measles when I was young too, btw. Isn't that the point, as long as you get them while you're young it's not as bad? And I guess that's what the vaccine is for, so you can get it without really getting totally ill.

Though I really can't remember how crappy it was because I was really young.

As long as you wanna risk encephalitis, pneumonia and thrombocytopenia...that's with measles alone.  Again, 000, you were one of the lucky ones.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Jenne on October 27, 2011, 07:01:03 PM
I'm pretty sure I got both mumps and measles when I was young too, btw. Isn't that the point, as long as you get them while you're young it's not as bad? And I guess that's what the vaccine is for, so you can get it without really getting totally ill.

As long as you wanna risk encephalitis, pneumonia and thrombocytopenia...that's with measles alone.  Again, 000, you were one of the lucky ones.

Worst I ever got was chicken pox.

Twid,
happy about that.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Suu

I have to admit I'm not a huge fan of the chickenpox vaccine, though. It seems less effective than contracting the disease and you have to get regular boosters. Granted, I had an epic case of the pox when I was 5, and when the nurse last year saw my titer test, she was like...damn, you had the disease, huh?

I know that it's not so much as as the chickenpox that's scary, but the side effects. Obviously you'll be susceptible to getting shingles when you're older since, because varicella is a form of herp-a-derp, it never leaves your body, but contracting true chickenpox as an adult is fucking scary once the shots wear off. I wasn't thrilled with having to get that fucking DTaP and the Hep B series, myself, but I still did it. I'd much rather get chickenpox again than Hep B.  :kingmeh:
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Jenne

Quote from: Nph. Twid. on October 27, 2011, 07:03:12 PM

Twid,
happy about that.

I got it too--that was before the vaccination, though.  My kids are vaccinated against it.  Though I know folks who were vacc'd against it and still got it, or those who HAD it and got it again, and now they get shingles every once in a while.  Shingles outbreaks suck, they're like herpes outbreaks.

Side effects of chicken pox, btw, can be skin infections (from scratching), pnemonia, encephalitis and ataxia.

Jenne

Suu and I--posting SS at the ST. (same time)

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Jenne on October 27, 2011, 07:06:56 PM
Quote from: Nph. Twid. on October 27, 2011, 07:03:12 PM

Twid,
happy about that.

I got it too--that was before the vaccination, though.  My kids are vaccinated against it.  Though I know folks who were vacc'd against it and still got it, or those who HAD it and got it again, and now they get shingles every once in a while.  Shingles outbreaks suck, they're like herpes outbreaks.

Side effects of chicken pox, btw, can be skin infections (from scratching), pnemonia, encephalitis and ataxia.

I'm 30, so I didn't get the vaccine either. Sounded like a dream at first. No school for a week or two, but goddamn, the itching. And the smell. I'll never forget that smell.

Jenne

I was 6...and don't remember a smell.  What SMELL you talkin' about?

Never mind.  :lulz:  Some things should probably be left undescribed!

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Jenne on October 27, 2011, 07:11:41 PM
I was 6...and don't remember a smell.  What SMELL you talkin' about?

Never mind.  :lulz:  Some things should probably be left undescribed!

How your skin smells after day 3 or 4. There is a noticeable change.

Don Coyote

Quote from: Nph. Twid. on October 27, 2011, 05:09:24 PM
Quote from: Jenne on October 27, 2011, 04:50:05 PM
I don't want to ride a fucking dinosaur.

Speak for yourself  :wink:

Twid,
needs a specialized saddle for a Stegosaurus.

Quote from: Nph. Twid. on October 27, 2011, 05:18:28 PM
Also, Coyote needs to womp me riding a Stegosaurus now.

Nephew Twiddleton

Nephew Twiddleton

I like how you keep putting me in a stillsuit.

Jenne

Don Coyote

Quote from: Nph. Twid. on October 27, 2011, 07:16:12 PM

You owe me for NOT giving her boobies.

And you are wearing a kilt.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Donald Coyote on October 27, 2011, 07:18:31 PM
Quote from: Nph. Twid. on October 27, 2011, 07:16:12 PM

You owe me for NOT giving her boobies.

And you are wearing a kilt.

Well, yeah, Stegosauruses can hear a zipper a mile away....

Suu

I just remember how my parents were THRILLED. It was like...an important rite of passage! I have an epic scar on my nose too. I woke up and my mom saw something on my face and scratched it off. I went to school and I just remember feeling kinda blah and dizzy all day...Then I got off the bus and went. "Mom, I'm not feeling good."

She pulled my shirt off of me, I looked down, saw 2-3 blisters and I screamed as I was carried off to the bathroom and thrown in a warm bath. I watched the blisters spread...it was scary as hell for a 5 year old. I swear my parents were high-fiving behind my back and put my brother in every room I was in, but my sister caught them first...she was 6 months old. My brother had the worst rash on his back. The kid was COVERED. My mom has pictures of us. I have no idea WHY, but there's pictures of us in our pox glory in an album somewhere. Then when we scabbed over, my parents took us to the beach and told us to get in the water. The saltwater pulled them right off and we healed clean.

We did that a lot, come to think of it. Every time one of us had poison ivy, or when we all got scarlet fever (THAT WAS A FUN CHRISTMAS), or when I had hives...go to the beach, get in the water. The Gulf of Mexico cures all skin funk.  :lulz:

Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."