News:

It's funny how the position for boot-licking is so close to the one used for curb-stomping.

Main Menu

What is this? I don't even?

Started by Telarus, October 28, 2011, 12:34:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Telarus

The Earth IS NOT revolving around the sun (nothing to do with TimeCube).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ex283trHBgE

Watch this. I give it a 90% probability of completely shattering some of your preconceived scientific notions. (Or, at least, shattering some of the out-dated models that got shoved down our heads during grade-school indoctrination).

Link on the video leads (eventually) to here, for some background: http://humansarefree.com/2011/03/earth-is-not-revolving-around-sun.html

[EDIT] Dug around that website, and some others which 'debunk' his work. I'm really not interested in that drama. The 3d model of the solar system traveling with angular momentum so that the "orbits" of the planets produce spirals is what I really liked. I also think the idea that spacetime "twists" as it "curves" to be very appealing.
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Don Coyote

bugger.  i'll have to check this at home.

Cramulus

That was really interesting. Definitely just updated my mental model of the solar system.

cool how we're making a big double helix through space

Nephew Twiddleton

Telarus, I ended up in the Looneyville section of YouTube because of this.

:lulz:

It's ok though. Logically I knew this, but I had never visualized it before. He starts to get into potentially green ink territory by saying that if the solar system didn't revolve around the galaxy it would be like a skipping record and life would be pretty boring.

....I'm not exactly sure what he meant by that.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Telarus

Quote from: Nph. Twid. on October 28, 2011, 02:24:05 PM
Telarus, I ended up in the Looneyville section of YouTube because of this.

:lulz:

It's ok though. Logically I knew this, but I had never visualized it before. He starts to get into potentially green ink territory by saying that if the solar system didn't revolve around the galaxy it would be like a skipping record and life would be pretty boring.

....I'm not exactly sure what he meant by that.

:lulz: :lulz: Me too, spend an hour reading a blog which starts to debunk this guy's math/advanced physics ideas.

I really which these types of people wouldn't fall to the trap in the Law of 5s.. some of these observations are novel and worth followup (without going all "I'm right! I'm revolutionizing physics!").

For example, I used that "double torus" figure (which from above looks like a spinning Yin/Wang) for about an hour as a visualization for some chi/empty hand exercises (based on Sufi spinning, and Chi Gung 'spin' techniques). Made some VERY interesting intuitive observations which have really bubbled up as words or images yet.

Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Triple Zero

BREAKING NEWS: REPARAMETRISATION CHANGES SHAPE OF CURVE :lulz:

Isn't this just a matter of frame-of-reference?

If the planets rotate relative to the sun, but the sun rotates relative to the galaxy, then of course the paths of the planets with respect to the galaxy won't be circles, but helices.

He lost me at the bit about the torus manifold and the second degree tensor coriolis forces. Kinda weird, how he switched from something very simple people learn in school (they just leave out the bit where the sun rotates in the galaxy, I wouldn't call that "absolutely incorrect"), suddenly to space-time curvature, spatial manifolds and cosmology.

It's a bit too much "woo" for me.

He spends a lot of time explaining something relatively obvious, and people think they "get it", and then he suddenly switches gear and tells them there's a torque in the space-time curvature and this is responsible for all things that spin, or something.

I'm not even sure what that even has to do with the initial explanation about that the orbits of the planets look like helices when you look at them from the point of view of the galaxy centre.

Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Bruno

In his model, the solar system is traveling parallel to the direction of its axis of revolution. Is that even right?

I'm not buying any of this!
Formerly something else...

Nephew Twiddleton

Iirc the suns equator is vertical in comparison to the galactic plane. I remember seeing it conjectured somewhere that this is due to the solar system originating in a smaller galaxy but got pulled into the milky way. How true that is im not sure but uranus does the same thing in relation to the sun so it is possible.

Nephew Twiddleton

That is its possible for the sun to do that regardless of its origin.

rong

The earth only recently began orbiting the sun.  That is one of the consequences of becoming round.
"a real smart feller, he felt smart"

Nephew Twiddleton

Nephew Twiddleton

Im guessing youre making a joke about the geocentric model vs heliocentric model. If so it could have had better delivery since im not positive i guessed correctly.

rong

You guessed correctly.  I think you could consider it a joke in that I think it is funny, but not in the set-up punchline sense.

I've been entertaining the idea that collectively held beliefs are actually fact.  And that facts change as belief changes. It makes talking to churchies more fun
"a real smart feller, he felt smart"

Nephew Twiddleton

Eh. If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it it does actually make a sound.

Nephew Twiddleton

Or as the meme goes here the barstool may be almost entirely empty space but its still going to hurt if i hit you with it.