News:

All you can say in this site's defence is that it, rather than reality, occupies the warped minds of some of the planet's most twisted people; gods know what they would get up to if it wasn't here.  In these arguably insane times, any lessening or attenuation of madness is maybe something to be thankful for.

Main Menu

Take This Lolipop PD

Started by Disco Pickle, October 28, 2011, 09:26:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Disco Pickle

Not sure if this has made the rounds yet but here.

http://www.takethislollipop.com/

Go on, PD.  Take it.

And have a Happy Halloween weekend.
"Events in the past may be roughly divided into those which probably never happened and those which do not matter." --William Ralph Inge

"sometimes someone confesses a sin in order to take credit for it." -- John Von Neumann

Suu

That is such a fucking cool website.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Disco Pickle

Quote from: Suu on October 29, 2011, 04:25:17 AM
That is such a fucking cool website.

I KNOW.

Great Halloween idea, which also makes you aware acutely aware of just how much information about yourself is out on the internets.

Going to be hard to top that for YEARS.
"Events in the past may be roughly divided into those which probably never happened and those which do not matter." --William Ralph Inge

"sometimes someone confesses a sin in order to take credit for it." -- John Von Neumann

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

All it does is ask me for permission to share on Facebook.  :?
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Suu

Did you give it permission? It's a safe app.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Suu on October 29, 2011, 04:13:19 PM
Did you give it permission? It's a safe app.

No, because I dislike having dumb shit show up in my feed.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Anna Mae Bollocks

Just disable it after you see it.
It's fucking CREEPY.  :D
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Triple Zero

I saw a blue lollipop with a razor in it. I deleted my Facebook acct two weeks ago, WTF does it do?

Show you how Facebook can rape your privacy when you give some random app Facebook permissions?? Did you need a site to demonstrate that?

READ HERE: http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php?topic=30336.0

90% of what's posted in the "Privacy Thread" is about Facebook.

There's a reason I deleted my account1 ...

Still I would like to hear what this site actually does?

1 not so much because I actually fear that Facebook's privacy violations will negatively affect me specifically, but because I am morally opposed to what they are doing and how they do it (against EU privacy regulations), and by having a FB acct I am supporting them. And not even just in a "support them by buying their product" manner (like boycotting Nike or Nokia/Siemens), but by marking other FB accts as your friends and sharing things, you are building their social network for them, you are providing them with tremendous business value, by connecting your different circles of friends with eachother.
It's one thing to use their service for free even if you perhaps disagree with their business model (like Google), but it's a bit too much for me to swallow to actually voluntarily provide them with the very data that validates their existence.
That, and being somewhat privacy-conscious, I don't want to have to bother having to keep an eye on them all the time to see what line they crossed again this week.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

That was interesting... I am curious that it had him going to an address on Oak St, presumably the last place I google mapped a week and a half ago.

Triple Zero

e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

Disco Pickle

You deleted your FB Trip, so even if you created a new one, it wouldn't have the same effect as if you still had your original, but being a net geek you would probably work out the Google maps bit, and it has a hell of a creepy vibe, so turn the sound way up for best effect.  Create a sock puppet, upload a few pics, and give it a run.

Nigel: still puzzling over the Google maps thing it does.  I'm thinking it's IP but I can't be sure.  I don't list my address anywhere, but it gets close to my address, just not close enough.  It flashes by so fast.   I should try and screen cap it to see exactly where it goes.

Triple Zero

Quote from: Disco Pickle on October 29, 2011, 05:35:36 PM
You deleted your FB Trip, so even if you created a new one, it wouldn't have the same effect as if you still had your original, but being a net geek you would probably work out the Google maps bit, and it has a hell of a creepy vibe, so turn the sound way up for best effect.  Create a sock puppet, upload a few pics, and give it a run.

I know but that's a bit more effort than I'm willing to spend, so I'm just asking what it does :)

QuoteNigel: still puzzling over the Google maps thing it does.  I'm thinking it's IP but I can't be sure.  I don't list my address anywhere, but it gets close to my address, just not close enough.  It flashes by so fast.   I should try and screen cap it to see exactly where it goes.

I suppose the fastness is done on purpose, to hand-wave inaccuracy.

It's got your IP, but IP-location can be extremely inaccurate. And even when it's accurate, it can't give much more than city/district, kinda, except for universities and corporate internets that bought their own fiber optic line or something.

I'm assuming it zooms in slightly more accurate than that, or?

It's gotta be something to do with access to your FB account, otherwise it's quite hard to pin an IP to a certain neighbourhood or street, without getting into all sorts of esoteric timing measurements traceroute correlation trickery (really cool) or clickjacking (which would be illegal cause it's a security exploit stealing your permission to access location data your browser can gather from triangulating nearby WiFi routers).

Disco Pickle

OK, giving it away:

My account of this will do it no justice what so ever.  You really should just check it out, for nothing else other than the visceral effect you get.

After you approve access to the app for all aspects of your FB account, it starts a video with a guy, sitting in a filthy room, logging into your facebook account.  He starts browsing through your photos, clicking different ones.  Starts to become agitated, freaking out.

He google maps you, gets somewhere close to your location, looks at the camera and it cuts to him in his car.

The car scene really has to be experieced.  Really.

Ends with him getting out, leaving the door open and walking up to (presumably) your house, with your profile pic tacked to the dashboard.

Really Trip, check it out.  It's worth the 15 minutes you'll take setting up a sock puppet Facebook.

Triple Zero

I think I heard of this one before, forget where... But okay I might check it out.

As for how they do it, I just came across this:

http://ilektrojohn.github.com/creepy/

Now this one doesn't target Facebook, but it does reveal an interesting attack vector: geolocation data in photographs. The EXIF data in JPEGs has some fields for geolocation data, though I'm not sure which cameras actually fill in these fields--they'd have to have access to GPS of some sort, so maybe iPhone cameras? Is that on by default? If so, I'd disable it, it may sound nice to save the GPS location of all your photos together with the photo, but really, the rare few times that this data is actually nice to have do not (IMO) weigh up against every social network and photo sharing website knowing exactly where you take your pictures.

It's indeed crazy how much data we (some people) leak every day.