News:

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.

Main Menu

TSA bodyscan fuckery

Started by Triple Zero, November 01, 2011, 10:52:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Triple Zero

I thought we had a thread about this, but I can't find it, and anyway it's really old. Here's some new info, apparently the cancer risk is not quite negligible:

U.S. Government Glossed Over Cancer Concerns As It Rolled Out Airport X-Ray Scanners

Very interesting read.

One tidbit that caught my attention:

QuoteIn Rapiscan's Secure 1000 scanner, which uses ionizing radiation, a passenger stands between two large blue boxes and is scanned with a pencil X-ray beam that rapidly moves left to right and up and down the body. In the other machine, ProVision, made by defense contractor L-3 Communications, a passenger enters a chamber that looks like a round phone booth and is scanned with millimeter waves, a form of low-energy radio waves, which have not been shown to strip electrons from atoms or cause cancer.

I've only been in a body scanner once, at Schiphol (Amsterdam) Airport, and it was definitely a type of round phone booth installation (the scanner actually sort of revolves around you, IIRC), so I'm comforted that at least I got the not-shown-to-cause-cancer type.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Elder Iptuous

i went through one in Baltimore last week and it was the L3 one.  i did notice that the image presented is the new one that just shows a stylized outline of a generic person with alerts to areas that need checking.  it gave me about 4 or 5 spots to check, and they just waved the wand over it, and passed me along.

i also witnessed them groping an old lady in a wheelchair for no apparent reason.
"ma'am, we're going to pat you down starting at the hip, and up under the breasts? is that OK?"
"heh?"
*grope*

she seemed confused and embarrassed.
i took a surreptitious pic with my phone.  feel a bit bad about that, but i couldn't help myself.  i was amaze even though i've heard it's SOP these days...

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I refuse to fucking fly until they stop this bullshit. I don't believe in "safe" xrays, it will all turn out to cause cancer.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Nigel on November 02, 2011, 07:18:10 AM
I refuse to fucking fly until they stop this bullshit. I don't believe in "safe" xrays, it will all turn out to cause cancer.

I wanted to put up a stink at Logan, but...

:turns hands up:

Serious business happened. On the bright side, I was not exposed to the same search coming back into the United States. They don't have these devices at Shannon Airport, but rather, the traditional type from  7 years ago.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Elder Iptuous

i know this isn't related to bodyscans, strictly, but it's TSA...

I just read about special units of TSA called Visible Intermodal Prevention and Response teams.
referred to by the accronym, 'VIPR' teams. (pronounced viper)

seriously?  VIPRs?

WE'RE HERE TO HELP!