News:

PD.com: The culmination of the 'Ted Stevens Plan'

Main Menu

Hey, yet ANOTHER peer review fail.

Started by Kai, February 04, 2012, 06:38:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kai

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on February 06, 2012, 04:11:37 PM
So, is this "gyre," as in, "gyre and gimble in the wabe"?

Well, PZ Myers did say that "the comparison to Jabberwocky is inevitable."
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

LMNO

I DEMAND THAT SPIRALS CREATE THE VORPAL BLADE FOR ME.

LMNO
-Snicker Snack.

Telarus

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on February 06, 2012, 04:11:37 PM
So, is this "gyre," as in, "gyre and gimble in the wabe"?

Sounds like it. Both the Sufi swords dancers and the tao-ist chi-gung practitioners have very interesting interpretations of "spiral energy" (in the mechanical sense, I guess, as they assume it can be depleted/slowed).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAhfZUZiwSE
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Wolfgang Absolutus

Quote from: Cainad on February 05, 2012, 04:04:47 PM
So the thesis, distilled for the layman, is something like:

"Everything is like, spirals, man. Seriously. No shit; it's spirals all the way down."
         /
:hippie:
I like to think hippies are a little smarter than that. Or at least some of them.
Thinking and Breathing are my main occupations.

Q. G. Pennyworth

Quote from: Wolfgang Absolutus on February 09, 2012, 01:05:23 AM

"Everything is like, spirals, man. Seriously. No shit; it's spirals all the way down."
         /
I like to think hippies are a little smarter than that. Or at least some of them.
This is why people don't take you seriously.

Wolfgang Absolutus

Quote from: Queen_Gogira on February 09, 2012, 01:16:57 AM
Quote from: Wolfgang Absolutus on February 09, 2012, 01:05:23 AM

/
This is why people don't take you seriously.
Because I think a Dude could be smart? When I say Hippie of course I refer to what I think of as a Dude, non-reactionary and nonjudgmental. They are calm and almost sage-like. But I have a feeling that is just me romanticizing concepts again.

Golden Applesauce

Isn't there some proverb or other about even fools appearing wise if they'd just stop talking?

Not saying anything (which includes "not saying anything judgmental or controversial") might make you appear sage-like - and it is legitimately a step up from someone who is pointlessly judgmental and controversial - there is still a vast gulf between that person and the one who understand when is the right time to be judgmental and controversial.
Q: How regularly do you hire 8th graders?
A: We have hired a number of FORMER 8th graders.

Cain

Dude, we've been on forums where people sincerely believe in "emotional vampires", that gods can shapeshift them into "rabbis" and that they saved the Universe by carrying out some kind of spiritual engineering work on the "astral plains".

Actually, that was all just one forum.  A forum heavily populated by hippie types, in fact.

I can fully believe a load of hippies subscribing to the idea that "everything is, like, spirals man."  Throw in some stuff about Golden Spirals, Fibonacci and possibly quantum, and you're set.

Wolfgang Absolutus

Quote from: Cain on February 09, 2012, 02:47:11 AM
Dude, we've been on forums where people sincerely believe in "emotional vampires", that gods can shapeshift them into "rabbis" and that they saved the Universe by carrying out some kind of spiritual engineering work on the "astral plains".

Actually, that was all just one forum.  A forum heavily populated by hippie types, in fact.

I can fully believe a load of hippies subscribing to the idea that "everything is, like, spirals man."  Throw in some stuff about Golden Spirals, Fibonacci and possibly quantum, and you're set.
Sounds like that new age bs. I don't identify with those kinds of hippies.
When I think of a real Dude, I think of someone who is calm in all situations and controversial only at times when their personal decisions come in conflict with what society says they should be doing. They aren't sheep, black or otherwise. They're sea turtles.

Golden Applesauce

Quote from: Wolfgang Absolutus on February 09, 2012, 03:04:54 AM
Quote from: Cain on February 09, 2012, 02:47:11 AM

Sounds like that new age bs. I don't identify with those kinds of hippies.
When I think of a real Dude, I think of someone who is calm in all situations and controversial only at times when their personal decisions come in conflict with what society says they should be doing. They aren't sheep, black or otherwise. They're sea turtles.

The best part about that forum was neither did they.  IIRC, they were against "fluffy pagans" almost as much as they were against Discordians.
Q: How regularly do you hire 8th graders?
A: We have hired a number of FORMER 8th graders.