News:

What about those weed gangsters that are mad about you giving speeches in Bumfuck, Maine?

Main Menu

Dear Dok & Freeky, You need to get shit under control over there already.

Started by navkat, April 03, 2012, 03:30:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

navkat

What the fuck is WRONG with you, Arizona?
http://gizmodo.com/5898585/itll-soon-be-illegal-to-troll-in-arizona

QuoteTrolling Could Get You 25 Years in Jail in Arizona

One of the Internet's basic tenets—the right to be as much of a myopic, infantile asshat as humanly possible—is currently under attack in Arizona. A sweeping update to the state's telecommunications harrasment bill could make naughty, angry words a Class 1 misdemeanor. Or worse.

It's a dangerous precedent, yet another bill written and supported by legislators who fundamentally don't understand the nature of the internet. And I'm not just being a, well, you know.

Arizona House Bill 2549 passed both legislative houses last Thursday and is now awaiting approval from Arizona's governor Brewer. The statute states that:

"It is unlawful for any person, with intent to terrify, intimidate, threaten, harass, annoy or offend, to use a ANY ELECTRONIC OR DIGITAL DEVICE and use any obscene, lewd or profane language or suggest any lewd or lascivious act, or threaten to inflict physical harm to the person or property of any person."

Emphasis added. If the electronic devices and means are employed to stalk a victim, the penalty bumps up to a Class 3 felony.

For those not intimately familiar with Arizona penal law, a Class 1 misdemeanor is punishable by a $250,000 fine and up to six months in jail (it's the most aggressive misdemeanor charge the state can bring). A Class 3 felony, meanwhile, carries a minimum sentence of 2.5 years for non-dangerous offenders with no prior record. And a max of 25 years in jail.

navkat

OFUK. Just found Faust's thread on this. He beat me by less than 15 min.

Anna Mae Bollocks

If I'd stumbled on that article, I'd have posted the same thread. A lot of us probably would have.  :lulz:
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division