News:

Licenced Jenkem provider since 2007

Main Menu

Mostly working kindle

Started by Don Coyote, June 08, 2012, 03:14:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Hell, it doesn't sound promising even if they are. That's ridiculous. Third replacement? So that's four Kindles in less than six months?
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cain

What model Kindle are you using?  Mine has been as durable as a rock, so I can only conclude this is a DX or Fire or something.

LMNO

Yeah, my Kindle2 is still going strong.

Don Coyote

Quote from: Triple Zero on June 08, 2012, 10:05:19 AM
Quote from: Guru Quixote on June 08, 2012, 08:09:12 AM
Quote from: Cain on June 08, 2012, 07:54:43 AM
Didn't you get that just this Christmas?

Ring Amazon support about that shit.  And remember to mention how you are covered by the warranty, so if they do not fix it, you are entitled to three free Kindles and an Amazon gift voucher worth the GDP of Greece.

Out of warranty, and that was my third replacement.

1. What, that means your warranty is less than half a year?? In NL I don't think it's even legal to give that short of warranty on electronic devices. Well you can try, but the argument should go sort of like this:

You: So how long's the warranty?

WHILE GUARANTEE < SIX MONTHS:
    Salesmonkey: Uh.. Well, the warranty is six months ...
    You: So if I buy this I should not expect it to work anymore after six months?
    Salesmonkey: No it should last longer than that ...
    You: If I buy this, how long can you guarantee me this thing will work?
    # (REPEAT)

Salesmonkey: Well I'd say at least a year or so.
You: Cool, can you get me that in writing?

Of course this works better if you didn't order online from a faceless corporation.

2. Even if your warranty is ridiculously short like 3 months or so, shouldn't it reset every time you get a replacement? Given that a 3 month warranty means "this device won't spontaneously fall apart for at least 3 months", as soon as you get a new one that should still hold, right? It's not like they will issue replacements with meticulously calculated shorter and shorter expected lifetimes and if you were to send one back at exactly the 3 month mark they'll mail you a baggie with some silicon dust and a few bent plastic bits in it and you say "Hey! This is not a Kindle!" and they say "Well it was when we sent it, warranty must have expired while it was in the mail. Sorry, nothing we can do about it."

So try sending it back, but include a copy of some bit of paper or receipt thing that shows the date when you received the last replacement, aka this particular device, insetad of when you bought the original one.

Otherwise ,the screen is pretty much the cool thing about a Kindle. Without it, you basically got a tiny computer that falls somewhere between a calculator and a simple mobile phone. Which is still pretty damn impressive, if you lived 20 years ago.

Maybe you can find another Kindle somewhere that's got some other part broken (say, water damage)  but still has a functioning screen (ok, hard to tell if it won't turn on, but eh) and then make a Frankenkindle.

It's been over a year since I got my first kindle and evidently they started the countdown from the first kindle and don't reset it with each explosive fail.

@Cain et al, it's a Kindle keyboard, or three or whatever the fuck they are calling it now.

I was offered either a discount on this same model, but have to pay shipping, or free shipping on the new kindle sans keyboard.

Don Coyote

Correction, it's been 2 years since I first bought my original kindle. When that one up and died I was almost out of the warranty period.

Anna Mae Bollocks

You might be fucked, BUT:

You can review products on amazon. And rate them. And comment on other peoples reviews. And they have forums.

Take it out of their hide.  :lol:
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Kai

I find this absolutely hilarious. I find it hilarious because several people have told me to get an e-reader, and trolled me when I said I preferred traditional books.

Hey, look guys, my processed tree corpses are still working!  :lol:
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Anna Mae Bollocks

So are mine. Except for an 1890's pulp paperback that disintegrates a little every time I touch it.
120 years isn't bad, though.

Don Coyote

Quote from: ZL 'Kai' Burington, M.S. on June 08, 2012, 10:09:48 PM
I find this absolutely hilarious. I find it hilarious because several people have told me to get an e-reader, and trolled me when I said I preferred traditional books.

I'd generally agree with you about dead tree format, but I have a few books that in electrons that are either stupidly big, or prohibitively expensive if I were to get them turned into dead tree, like the more obscure manuals that are continually coming to light for medieval dueling.

In anycase, I bought a nook simple touch, almost bought the nook tablet.

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: Guru Quixote on June 09, 2012, 02:52:05 AM

I'd generally agree with you about dead tree format, but I have a few books that in electrons that are either stupidly big, or prohibitively expensive if I were to get them turned into dead tree, like the more obscure manuals that are continually coming to light for medieval dueling.

I always feel like, "OK, I'm accessing this site with a laptop and they want to sell me another device instead of just putting the damn book in pdf format THAT I COULD READ ON THIS VERY SAME LAPTOP. Fuck them."

Don Coyote

Quote from: TEXAS FAIRIES FOR ALL YOU SPAGS on June 09, 2012, 02:57:36 AM
Quote from: Guru Quixote on June 09, 2012, 02:52:05 AM

I always feel like, "OK, I'm accessing this site with a laptop and they want to sell me another device instead of just putting the damn book in pdf format THAT I COULD READ ON THIS VERY SAME LAPTOP. Fuck them."

My laptop has a stupidly large screen, and I HATE reading books from it because of that. Also, there are several e-book readers that run on computers, including the various kindle apps.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I like paper books.

I like my Kindle.

Nothing wrong with having both. I don't get the arguments people get into about them, it mostly seems like elitism or neophobia more than anything else.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Don Coyote

Quote from: PROFOUNDLY RETARDED CHARLIE MANSON on June 09, 2012, 10:15:06 PM
I like paper books.

I like my Kindle.

Nothing wrong with having both. I don't get the arguments people get into about them, it mostly seems like elitism or neophobia more than anything else.

Hipsterism maybe?

Luna

Quote from: PROFOUNDLY RETARDED CHARLIE MANSON on June 09, 2012, 10:15:06 PM
I like paper books.

I like my Kindle.

I like both...  I just rarely buy paper any more, because the Kindle version is usually cheaper.  Also, carrying a couple thousand books in my purse is handy.
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

E.O.T.

THIS

ought to be in bring & braggg
"a good fight justifies any cause"