News:

I hope she gets diverticulitis and all her poop kills her.

Main Menu

PDCOM 2.0: THE NEXT LEVEL

Started by tyrannosaurus vex, June 27, 2012, 11:13:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyrannosaurus vex

Shouldn't PD be a "Content Site" by now and not just a forum?

discuss.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

Cain

Yes.

But coming up with content is hard, and it's much easier to talk about drugs yet again, or bitch about X story from the headlines.  Dong the latter will get you attention and discussion, doing the former will get you ignored.

All about incentives. 

Faust

Quote from: v3x on June 27, 2012, 11:13:13 PM

discuss.

Edit: assuming content delivery system.

It's true that sites that allow for quick publishing to reddit/facebook/etc tend to attract more attention, I also think part of the downturn in new members is party that people don't want to use the slower forum medium any more.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

tyrannosaurus vex

Quote from: Faust on June 27, 2012, 11:18:26 PM

discuss.

It's true that sites that allow for quick publishing to reddit/facebook/etc tend to attract more attention, I also think part of the downturn in new members is party that people don't want to use the slower forum medium any more.

I love the forum medium. It's a lot easier to keep track of things in a forum than in the "unrelenting stream of bullshit" medium used by facebook etc.

But when I fall asleep at night and dream of the world as I wish it was, PD is more of a discordian-ideals-in-practice site, which looks a lot like a News site, except anyone can post headlines, and comments take a back seat to the OP.

And there are ads for hentai all over the place, which I assume is a product of my subconscious, and we don't need to go into that.

The Johnny

discuss.

:apple:
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Faust

Quote from: v3x on June 27, 2012, 11:23:01 PM

discuss.

I love the forum medium. It's a lot easier to keep track of things in a forum than in the "unrelenting stream of bullshit" medium used by facebook etc.

But when I fall asleep at night and dream of the world as I wish it was, PD is more of a discordian-ideals-in-practice site, which looks a lot like a News site, except anyone can post headlines, and comments take a back seat to the OP.

And there are ads for hentai all over the place, which I assume is a product of my subconscious, and we don't need to go into that.

Any kind of rant thread starts with a strong OP and has comments taking a back seat

A dialogue is the current backbone of the site, but done so though a single channel delivery system makes it more difficult for two or more different conversations to take place, dendrite comment systems are nicer in that regards, the closest we can achieve to match that would be split threads all over the place.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

tyrannosaurus vex

Quote from: Faust on June 27, 2012, 11:32:00 PM
Quote from: v3x on June 27, 2012, 11:23:01 PM

discuss.

Any kind of rant thread starts with a strong OP and has comments taking a back seat

A dialogue is the current backbone of the site, but done so though a single channel delivery system makes it more difficult for two or more different conversations to take place, dendrite comment systems are nicer in that regards, the closest we can achieve to match that would be split threads all over the place.

Yes, that's how the dynamic works, but the visual appearance of a flat forum format doesn't really support that dynamic. I would think, ideally, that PD would present these "threads" as a central article and visually present comments as "background" information.

On the other hand, there are are threads which aren't really "rant-centric," where the forum dynamic works better. AND, there are "content" threads where the OP poses a question and there are multiple instances of 'content' developed in the ensuing thread.

Placid Dingo

I want to do some more yoochoob stuff since the first ones proved addictive. More varied content would be all kinds of superduper
Haven't paid rent since 2014 with ONE WEIRD TRICK.

tyrannosaurus vex

Quote from: Placid Dingo on June 28, 2012, 12:04:37 AM
I want to do some more yoochoob stuff since the first ones proved addictive. More varied content would be all kinds of superduper

I want to do a radio call-in show. Like Dave Ramsey, except callers receive the Horrible Troof instead of sound financial advice.

Placid Dingo

Actualy if Suu's radio show had recorded podcasts (around 10-20 min) I'd listen the fuck out of them. Same with Vex.

tyrannosaurus vex

Yes a lot of us would listen to that. Unfortunately that is just preaching to the choir. We need to befuck the masses with our shit.

Placid Dingo

Failwhale (IM collection) was an attempt to do that. My focus (which I still like as a strategy) was to focus on work by Discordians which didn't explicitly emphasize discordia. I think that tone could be effective in other media.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I could see the value in switching to an articles-with-comments format for rants, etc. In fact, I think that's kind of a fantastic idea. I'd like to see us also retain the forum for other chitchat, but the articles format makes more sense for a lot of the rants, analyses, etc that tend to sink into obscurity on the forum.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Triple Zero

Quote from: Faust on June 27, 2012, 11:32:00 PM

I like comment trees too, although they really need to be easily collapsible and have a smart sorting system. Currently (most) people here avoid thread-jacking with dumb remarks out of politeness with regard to the "more contentful" discussion. With tree-threads there's no need for that because everybody gets to chat in the part of the discussion they enjoy. However some dumb punning subthread can get really huge, and depending on how the branches of a thread are sorted, it might float to the top, overshadowing a smaller, quieter, but possibly also more intelligent discussion. Simple voting systems when calibrated correctly do a really good job at fixing this, while still keeping the "view" of a thread the same for every viewer--but I'm afraid voting points would just lead to drama on PD, though they also work really well if you don't show the numbers, but use them for sorting only.

Anyway, the only way I'd see tree comments happen, is if we took on a whole different forum software.

---

Question, v3x, what does a "content site" mean? I'm not at all sure what it'd look like?
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

AFK

I wanna get a bunch of sick people together and make a malcontent site!
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.