Mr Rogers is above all that nonsense.

Main Menu

PDCOM 2.0: THE NEXT LEVEL

Started by tyrannosaurus vex, June 27, 2012, 11:13:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyrannosaurus vex

Quote from: Triple Zero on June 28, 2012, 04:34:44 PM
Quote from: Faust on June 27, 2012, 11:32:00 PM
A dialogue is the current backbone of the site, but done so though a single channel delivery system makes it more difficult for two or more different conversations to take place, dendrite comment systems are nicer in that regards, the closest we can achieve to match that would be split threads all over the place.

I like comment trees too, although they really need to be easily collapsible and have a smart sorting system. Currently (most) people here avoid thread-jacking with dumb remarks out of politeness with regard to the "more contentful" discussion. With tree-threads there's no need for that because everybody gets to chat in the part of the discussion they enjoy. However some dumb punning subthread can get really huge, and depending on how the branches of a thread are sorted, it might float to the top, overshadowing a smaller, quieter, but possibly also more intelligent discussion. Simple voting systems when calibrated correctly do a really good job at fixing this, while still keeping the "view" of a thread the same for every viewer--but I'm afraid voting points would just lead to drama on PD, though they also work really well if you don't show the numbers, but use them for sorting only.

Anyway, the only way I'd see tree comments happen, is if we took on a whole different forum software.

---

Question, v3x, what does a "content site" mean? I'm not at all sure what it'd look like?

I would imagine keeping the forum as is, but diverting the front page on the PD domain from "here's a short list of some static content but mainly a link to the forum," it could be similar to a news site where current events (not news necessarily, just organized that way) are presented. Similar to Cracked or The Onion, or FOX NEWS for that matter.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

Triple Zero

So basically some functionality that allows a post to be "upgraded" to a more static article, more prominently linked, with the original author having the ability to still edit or even retract it, preferably urging said author to add some sort of CC copyright notice if they hadn't already.

Question remains, who's to decide what posts get upgraded? If everyone can just do it to their own posts it'll get a mess real soon, but if there's going to be some sort of moderator they'd need a bit of dedication to curating content that doesn't stop after the first few weeks.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Triple Zero on July 01, 2012, 02:52:49 PM
So basically some functionality that allows a post to be "upgraded" to a more static article, more prominently linked, with the original author having the ability to still edit or even retract it, preferably urging said author to add some sort of CC copyright notice if they hadn't already.

Question remains, who's to decide what posts get upgraded? If everyone can just do it to their own posts it'll get a mess real soon, but if there's going to be some sort of moderator they'd need a bit of dedication to curating content that doesn't stop after the first few weeks.

What about some sort of system for upvoting/promoting posts, and if enough people upvote a post it gets promoted to the front page?

Man, I think that kind of site format would be incredibly awesome. With interesting content rotating on the front page, that would be pretty hot. We have a lot of high-quality writers/thinkers here, and a lot of the good stuff is just sort of getting lost... this would be a way to put it to good use and revive that antiquated front page into something both interesting and useful.

I'm getting kind of moist just at the idea of it. Do you think this is something that could actually happen?
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Faust

Depends on its implemented system. If its manually pushed by mods of admins it's a few hours work. If its an automated system using upvotes. That could be a big job. If it was just cross posting to a Wordpress or other cms front page that could be pretty simple too.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Faust on July 01, 2012, 04:54:39 PM
Depends on its implemented system. If its manually pushed by mods of admins it's a few hours work. If its an automated system using upvotes. That could be a big job. If it was just cross posting to a Wordpress or other cms front page that could be pretty simple too.

What if it started out being manually pushed? People could nominate posts by reporting them or crossposting them in a nomination thread, perhaps. Wordpress seems like a great way to start.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

tyrannosaurus vex

Quote from: PROFOUNDLY RETARDED CHARLIE MANSON on July 01, 2012, 04:39:23 PM

What about some sort of system for upvoting/promoting posts, and if enough people upvote a post it gets promoted to the front page?

Man, I think that kind of site format would be incredibly awesome. With interesting content rotating on the front page, that would be pretty hot. We have a lot of high-quality writers/thinkers here, and a lot of the good stuff is just sort of getting lost... this would be a way to put it to good use and revive that antiquated front page into something both interesting and useful.

I'm getting kind of moist just at the idea of it. Do you think this is something that could actually happen?

THIS YES THIS.

Original content could be nominated or flagged for publication to the front page somehow (I like the idea of upvoting for this), and maybe a second area where threads are linked based on amount of activity.

I do not like the idea of Wordpress though, unless it can be modified so it doesn't look like "just another wordpress page." Wordpress is basically a streaming blog, and it would just be a long list of threads instead of being presented with multiple "headlines" simultaneously.

Faust

That's just the front end you are used to. It's easy to make Wordpress look very nice without too muh work. Especially as we would be hiding it's controls. I'll have a look some evening after work this week and see what kind of premade solutions there are out there.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Telarus

Quote from: PROFOUNDLY RETARDED CHARLIE MANSON on July 01, 2012, 04:39:23 PM

You never used IRR9 (Irreality) did you? It had this exact feature (you could vote in the forums, on personal blogs, and in the galleries).

Squink and peeps made one of the best social networking sites in existence (even compared to those today). Too bad it imploded due to *whatever*.

I really like this idea. I would be willing to help code, with graphics/CSS, etc. I propose we elect a temporary leader to hammer out details and a workplan.
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

tyrannosaurus vex

Suggestion:

Instead of electing a leader, we hold a NIXON'S FESTERING CORPSE REVITALIZATION CONTEST

>> WOMP together an awful mockup of how you think the front page should look (just a picture, no functionality or code required. can be sloppy - just get your point across). POST IN THE FREAD. or wherever.
>> WINNER RECEIVES NOTHING.

this would be a "democratic" way to brainstorm that gives us ideas from everyone, without turning off people who don't know how to code (like me). the actual work could be done after we've narrowed down what we actually want the site to be like.

Cain

Here's my entry:

I'm sure some of you are now saying "but Cain, that's exactly what the front page looks like right now."

Yes.  It is.

The problem with PD isn't software based, there isn't a software solution.  No amount of rearranging deckchairs is going to change the fact that it is people's attitudes that need to change, not our "web 2.0 user drive feedback functionality" bullshit.

If it makes you feel any better, I saved the screenshot in Paint, so it's kinda WOMP.

tyrannosaurus vex

Quote from: Cain on July 02, 2012, 07:28:44 PM
Here's my entry:

I'm sure some of you are now saying "but Cain, that's exactly what the front page looks like right now."

Yes.  It is.

The problem with PD isn't software based, there isn't a software solution.  No amount of rearranging deckchairs is going to change the fact that it is people's attitudes that need to change, not our "web 2.0 user drive feedback functionality" bullshit.

If it makes you feel any better, I saved the screenshot in Paint, so it's kinda WOMP.

I appreciate your jaded and cynical sentiment, but I must disagree. Not because you're not right, because you are right. But I'm not trying to "solve a problem with PD." It's that I think the community at PD realizing a potential that we're not currently realizing.

Also, the creative output of PD is much higher and of better quality, even during Drug Wars, than most places that publish opinion and satire (read: Fox News, The Onion, etc.), and the "bulletin board" format doesn't display that creative output as well as an article-based front-end would. Also I wouldn't suggest replacing the forum at all, because I'd hate to fuck up the vibe we have here.

Cain

Semantics.

Enjoy wasting your time to bring about a better method to put articles no-one will read on the front page.

The Good Reverend Roger

Well, it can't hurt to try, though I am sharing Cain's pessimism.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

tyrannosaurus vex

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: v3x on July 02, 2012, 07:11:02 PM
Suggestion:

Instead of electing a leader, we hold a NIXON'S FESTERING CORPSE REVITALIZATION CONTEST

>> WOMP together an awful mockup of how you think the front page should look (just a picture, no functionality or code required. can be sloppy - just get your point across). POST IN THE FREAD. or wherever.
>> WINNER RECEIVES NOTHING.

this would be a "democratic" way to brainstorm that gives us ideas from everyone, without turning off people who don't know how to code (like me). the actual work could be done after we've narrowed down what we actually want the site to be like.

FACEBOOK PARTY!!!