News:

You're miserable, edgy and tired. You're in the perfect mood for PD.com.

Main Menu

A curiosity about the South, for people who live here

Started by The Dark Monk, July 02, 2012, 09:59:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Freeky

Quote from: Gen. Disregard on July 10, 2012, 02:05:00 AM
Well there really is no comparison to a policy of an individual. Being against Obama's military policy isn't even remotely comparable to hating on someone because of the color of their skin, or who they date, or who they pray too.  I would figure it is pretty obvious that is NOT what I'm talking about when I talk about reality grids.

I'm talking about reality grids how the PD talked about them and made specific references to cultures and how cultures descriminated against other cultures because their grids didn't line up. 

I would argue that stoning women is a similar thing, though admittedtly there is an element of culture that informs that belief.  But I don't think being against that policy is evil or wrong and I think it is a stupid-ass stretch to even assume they would be in the same ballpark.

What was being given to you were examples of belief that are evil and bad. Obama's stance on drone strikes, a culture that stones women for premarital sex, andfinding no moral wrongdoing with a banking system of one country raping rge entire world's economy.

Evil bad

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Gen. Disregard on July 10, 2012, 02:26:19 AM
You got the first two wrong.  Someone argued a stupid point that my point somehow means that people can't be against policy without being "evil".  I never suggested anything remotely close to that.  It's just nutso!

Whatever.

Leaving this thread to your genius until Nigel comes back to argue with me about Nathan Bedford Forrest.

Enjoy.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

AFK

Quote from: The Freeky of SCIENCE! on July 10, 2012, 02:26:55 AM
Quote from: Gen. Disregard on July 10, 2012, 02:05:00 AM
Well there really is no comparison to a policy of an individual. Being against Obama's military policy isn't even remotely comparable to hating on someone because of the color of their skin, or who they date, or who they pray too.  I would figure it is pretty obvious that is NOT what I'm talking about when I talk about reality grids.

I'm talking about reality grids how the PD talked about them and made specific references to cultures and how cultures descriminated against other cultures because their grids didn't line up. 

I would argue that stoning women is a similar thing, though admittedtly there is an element of culture that informs that belief.  But I don't think being against that policy is evil or wrong and I think it is a stupid-ass stretch to even assume they would be in the same ballpark.

What was being given to you were examples of belief that are evil and bad. Obama's stance on drone strikes, a culture that stones women for premarital sex, andfinding no moral wrongdoing with a banking system of one country raping rge entire world's economy.

Evil bad

Yes, and I agree that they are evil bad.  So?
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Freeky

So your assertion that you can't have an evil bad stand is retarded, and

EITHER
     so are you for not understanding,

OR
     you're trolling, in which case arguing with you being pointless should be acknlowledged.

AFK

I made no such assertion because I don't hold that being against policies of death and stoning is the same thing as thinking Muslims are evil bad merely for existing. 

Anna Mae Bollocks

Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: TEXAS FAIRIES FOR ALL YOU SPAGS on July 10, 2012, 02:39:57 AM
Quote from: TEXAS FAIRIES FOR ALL YOU SPAGS on July 10, 2012, 02:00:40 AM
Quote from: The Freeky of SCIENCE! on July 10, 2012, 01:39:12 AM
So you're just trolling attention whoring again, I see.

Another possible fix

ABSOLUTE FIX

Thread is not about RWHN. Carry on.

Good luck with that.  Once Captain Fallacy has his mitts on something, you can't pry him off with a crowbar.  I'll just wait til he logs off.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on July 10, 2012, 02:41:02 AM
Quote from: TEXAS FAIRIES FOR ALL YOU SPAGS on July 10, 2012, 02:39:57 AM
Quote from: TEXAS FAIRIES FOR ALL YOU SPAGS on July 10, 2012, 02:00:40 AM
Quote from: The Freeky of SCIENCE! on July 10, 2012, 01:39:12 AM
So you're just trolling attention whoring again, I see.

Another possible fix

ABSOLUTE FIX

Thread is not about RWHN. Carry on.

Good luck with that.  Once Captain Fallacy has his mitts on something, you can't pry him off with a crowbar.  I'll just wait til he logs off.

I tend to just skip his shit. But yeah.

Freeky

I know people don't like the simple "racism is everywhere" statement, but, well racism IS everywhere and seems to be an engrained trait of humanity.  And it morphs and takes on other flavors, bigotry, religious intolerance. 

Basically, one set of people who think another set of people's reality grids aren't just wrong, they are EVIL wrong.

Right there, you liar, RWHN.

AFK

Yes Sherlock, but what you can't seem to get through your head is that I'm talking about cultures, not policy. 

The Good Reverend Roger

Anna Mae Bollocks

E.O.T.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on July 09, 2012, 06:01:54 PM
Quote from: E.O.T. on July 06, 2012, 11:33:30 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on July 06, 2012, 01:48:43 PM
Quote from: Golden Applesauce on July 06, 2012, 01:09:27 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on July 05, 2012, 01:49:14 PM
Quote from: Golden Applesauce on July 04, 2012, 07:48:48 PM
Of course the south won. They were fighting for freedom, which is always the right thing to do - it was a moral victory.

Raw and stinking bullshit.  They were fighting for a static aristocracy.

They were fighting for the freedom to determine how to run their own economy and government. You can't really say that someone has the God-given right to pursue happiness, and then turn around and say "Well, but only if your method of pursuing happiness doesn't include human trafficking." These were honest, Christian farmers being faced with the possibility of being unable to leave their workforce to their children. Similarly, being forced allow illiterate non-citizens with no stake in the country to cast votes defeats the entire purpose of democracy - it's not self-determination if an outside power is manipulating the voting population to  its own ends.

It's not Freedom if you can't abuse it.

I'm leaving this thread now, out of sheer depression brought on by watching two supposed bipeds defend/support this sort of shit.

WHICH IS EXACTLY

why you need to stay and this thread needs to happen. vex and ga are doing an outstanding job, imo, in bringing a voice of reason to this issue. the very fact that most immediate reaction to any of this underlines the idea that people from the south are not people, but some kind of sub human, demands this thread to exist. nigel brought it out in point, the issues connected to the south and the confederacy  are cloaked in so much womp that even incredibly intelligent folks have only frothing response to all of it. this is important dialogue.

I never said people from the South are subhuman.  They are all too human, and many of them carry an all-too infectious meme.  My personal (anecdotal, but that's all I have to work with) experience in the South has been universally shitty, with 90% of everyone I've met being at least partially billygoon.

OK,

i never said that you said (like that?) people from the south are subhuman. i did say that "most immediate reaction" denoted thusly. i totally remember you phoning me while you were in texas with all this surprise about the back-assedness of it all, and all i could do was laugh, because i thought, "what the hell did you expect?"

HOWEVER,

roger, calling someone "billygoon" isn't necessarily not calling them sub-human  :lulz:
"a good fight justifies any cause"

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: E.O.T. on July 10, 2012, 03:21:54 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on July 09, 2012, 06:01:54 PM
Quote from: E.O.T. on July 06, 2012, 11:33:30 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on July 06, 2012, 01:48:43 PM
Quote from: Golden Applesauce on July 06, 2012, 01:09:27 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on July 05, 2012, 01:49:14 PM
Quote from: Golden Applesauce on July 04, 2012, 07:48:48 PM
Of course the south won. They were fighting for freedom, which is always the right thing to do - it was a moral victory.

Raw and stinking bullshit.  They were fighting for a static aristocracy.

They were fighting for the freedom to determine how to run their own economy and government. You can't really say that someone has the God-given right to pursue happiness, and then turn around and say "Well, but only if your method of pursuing happiness doesn't include human trafficking." These were honest, Christian farmers being faced with the possibility of being unable to leave their workforce to their children. Similarly, being forced allow illiterate non-citizens with no stake in the country to cast votes defeats the entire purpose of democracy - it's not self-determination if an outside power is manipulating the voting population to  its own ends.

It's not Freedom if you can't abuse it.

I'm leaving this thread now, out of sheer depression brought on by watching two supposed bipeds defend/support this sort of shit.

WHICH IS EXACTLY

why you need to stay and this thread needs to happen. vex and ga are doing an outstanding job, imo, in bringing a voice of reason to this issue. the very fact that most immediate reaction to any of this underlines the idea that people from the south are not people, but some kind of sub human, demands this thread to exist. nigel brought it out in point, the issues connected to the south and the confederacy  are cloaked in so much womp that even incredibly intelligent folks have only frothing response to all of it. this is important dialogue.

I never said people from the South are subhuman.  They are all too human, and many of them carry an all-too infectious meme.  My personal (anecdotal, but that's all I have to work with) experience in the South has been universally shitty, with 90% of everyone I've met being at least partially billygoon.

OK,

i never said that you said (like that?) people from the south are subhuman. i did say that "most immediate reaction" denoted thusly. i totally remember you phoning me while you were in texas with all this surprise about the back-assedness of it all, and all i could do was laugh, because i thought, "what the hell did you expect?"

HOWEVER,

roger, calling someone "billygoon" isn't necessarily not calling them sub-human  :lulz:

Come to Texas. "Billygoon" is perfectly appropriate. YOU'LL SEE.