News:

PD.com: Trimming your hair in accordance with the anarchoprimitivist lifestyle

Main Menu

ITT we post pictures of our dogs

Started by P3nT4gR4m, August 26, 2012, 09:36:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: TEXAS FAIRIES FOR ALL YOU SPAGS on August 26, 2012, 07:27:15 PM
This is Bandit. His dad was a Chow-Pit cross and his mom was a plain black spaniel-type mutt, but his temperament is almost pure Chow. He's reserved and not particularly crazy about people other than me, but he'll tolerate them if I do. He's very protective and goes apeshit if strange men approach while I'm walking him. Once he caught a guy breaking into the house and bit the shit out of him.  :lol:  He's ten years old and has always had horrible allergies in the summer that I can never get totally under control, some years have been particularly bad and he chewed off a lot of fur, but it comes back when things cool off. I don't have him for looks anyway, I have him because he's a great dog. This is him on the porch. He'll sit there unleashed and not go out in the street no matter what he sees there. I've never had a problem with him getting out since animal control picked him up once and I had to leave him a couple of days until I got paid. It only took him one time to learn. I've had other dogs that never learned, I had to bail them out over and over.

You have to be careful with where you put your drinks, he won't take things off a table but considers anything on the floor to be his and he loves coffee, tea and cocktails. Once I had company and he drank a whole frozen strawberry daquiri before anybody noticed and got wasted. He'd do it again if I let him, but I don't. Sometimes people want me to, but I'm not fucking up my dog so assholes can laugh at him lurching around.

He's darling!
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: P3nT4gR4m on August 26, 2012, 06:08:54 PM
Quote from: Pixie on August 26, 2012, 01:54:55 PM
The Jack Russell/Corgi cross has to be the cutest fucking dog I have EVAR seen!

P3nt, what make is your dog?

Also what's with not telling the names? You can't get a full feel for a dog without the name!

Dog is 50% staff and 50% no fucking idea  (mother went walkabout)

His name is Sylar but he'll answer to pupfordshire or beast.

Something about the ears makes me think "French Bulldog".
Maybe mom liked short guys.  :lol:
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: A Very Hairy Monkey In An Ill-Fitting Tunic on August 26, 2012, 07:29:45 PM
Quote from: NoLeDeMiel on August 26, 2012, 04:57:39 PM
Quote from: A Very Hairy Monkey In An Ill-Fitting Tunic on August 26, 2012, 04:38:51 PM
I fucking love ferrets.

My horrid drippy beast Nina:

I got extra skin. Wut?
                                        \

She growls hello

True story

But my friend Gwyn insists that she is really saying "Durrrrrrrrrrrr".

You're a great dog person (and Nina has always rocked!)

I've seen a lot of people hit dogs for growling, but growls mean different things. Bandit got in a fight once and had a big gash on his ear and it bothered him for a couple of days, so he'd get up on the bed and look straight at me and growl. It was a little unnerving the first time, but his body posture didn't say "attack", and he didn't made a move to snap at me, he never has. He was just sitting there growling. It was his way of griping about the ear.

The books don't tell you this stuff.  :)

The Dark Monk

Quote from: TEXAS FAIRIES FOR ALL YOU SPAGS on August 26, 2012, 07:45:14 PM
Quote from: A Very Hairy Monkey In An Ill-Fitting Tunic on August 26, 2012, 07:29:45 PM
Quote from: A Very Hairy Monkey In An Ill-Fitting Tunic on August 26, 2012, 04:38:51 PM
I fucking love ferrets.

I got extra skin. Wut?
                                        \

She growls hello

True story

I've seen a lot of people hit dogs for growling, but growls mean different things. Bandit got in a fight once and had a big gash on his ear and it bothered him for a couple of days, so he'd get up on the bed and look straight at me and growl. It was a little unnerving the first time, but his body posture didn't say "attack", and he didn't made a move to snap at me, he never has. He was just sitting there growling. It was his way of griping about the ear.

Hell, that's what I do!
"Honey are you alright?"
Me: "Grrrrrrr mumble grrrrrrrrr..."
I thought this is all there is,
but now I know you are so much more.
I want to upgrade from my simple eight bits,
but will you still love me when I'm sixty-four?
~MIAB~

Anna Mae Bollocks

Exactly. :lol: A yard dog is always a dog, but a house dog gets kind of human after a few years.

Juana

This is Snapper. He's a border collie/Australian shepherd mix. Smart as a whip, people-friendly, and jealous as fuck of our younger dog.

This is the younger dog, Regulus, who also answers to Reggie, Spider Legs, and Beardog. He's a BC/Aussie mix, too, but we think there's a third, stupid breed in there somewhere. He's not as smart as Snapper and is people-unfriendly, but he's adorable, cuddly, and sweet otherwise.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I fucking love ferrets.

I got extra skin. Wut?
                                        \

She growls hello

True story

Aw, thanks! :)

It doesn't make any sense to me to hit a dog for growling. Might as well smack a kid for laughing! If the dog is being aggressive, hitting it isn't going to help, but if it's talking, hitting it is a super dick move.

Poor Nina just has a really deep voice.  :lol:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Secret Agent GARBO on August 26, 2012, 11:09:13 PM
This is Snapper. He's a border collie/Australian shepherd mix. Smart as a whip, people-friendly, and jealous as fuck of our younger dog.

This is the younger dog, Regulus, who also answers to Reggie, Spider Legs, and Beardog. He's a BC/Aussie mix, too, but we think there's a third, stupid breed in there somewhere. He's not as smart as Snapper and is people-unfriendly, but he's adorable, cuddly, and sweet otherwise.

Wow, pretty dogs!

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: Secret Agent GARBO on August 26, 2012, 11:09:13 PM

Snapper reminds me lot of the old style Scotch collies and farm collies. They're super smart and literally the kind of dogs that inspired Lassie Come Home and Lad: A Dog, not those modern collies with the skinny heads.

Reggie could be a late bloomer, sometimes it works that way. He's a great looking dog, though.  :)

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: A Very Hairy Monkey In An Ill-Fitting Tunic on August 26, 2012, 11:54:48 PM
I fucking love ferrets.

I got extra skin. Wut?
                                        \

She growls hello

True story

It doesn't make any sense to me to hit a dog for growling. Might as well smack a kid for laughing! If the dog is being aggressive, hitting it isn't going to help, but if it's talking, hitting it is a super dick move.

I blame a lot of it on the idea that all dogs spend every waking moment plotting to dominate people. "Don't let the dog on the furniture, he'll be on your level", "Don't let the dog walk ahead of you, he'll think he's your leader", etc. I never heard stuff like that until fairly recently, maybe the last ten or fifteen years. Waiting for the fad to die out.  :x

And yeah. Total dick move. I saw a lady smack a chihuahua in the head once. She won't do it around me again.  :lol:

That's what you want people to hear when they're trying to jimmy your window.  :lulz:

Juana

Quote from: TEXAS FAIRIES FOR ALL YOU SPAGS on August 27, 2012, 01:01:30 AM
Snapper reminds me lot of the old style Scotch collies and farm collies. They're super smart and literally the kind of dogs that inspired Lassie Come Home and Lad: A Dog, not those modern collies with the skinny heads.

Reggie could be a late bloomer, sometimes it works that way. He's a great looking dog, though.  :)
Me, too! That was why I was excited to get a dog like him - I used to watch old black and white episodes of Lassie religiously as a little kid, so I've always had a soft spot for collies.

Oh, Reggie's three now and a lot smarter than he was when we first got him. Snapper's just really, really smart, so he's a little hard to match. And thanks. :D

Also,
Quote from: A Very Hairy Monkey In An Ill-Fitting Tunic on August 26, 2012, 11:55:57 PM
Wow, pretty dogs!
Thanks! Nina's fucking adorable, btw.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: Secret Agent GARBO on August 27, 2012, 02:45:27 AM

Me, too! That was why I was excited to get a dog like him - I used to watch old black and white episodes of Lassie religiously as a little kid, so I've always had a soft spot for collies.

Oh, Reggie's three now and a lot smarter than he was when we first got him. Snapper's just really, really smart, so he's a little hard to match. And thanks. :D

He's learning, then.  :)
Apologies if I'm overposting, I've had the collie bug since early childhood, too.  :) Your dogs might actually be closer to "real" collies than what people generally think of as a "collie". I've read that rough collies were bred with borzois in the early 1900's to get the fashionable heads (and less brain room).
http://www.oldtimefarmshepherd.org/current-collie-articles/landrace-vs-purebred-scotch-collies/

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: TEXAS FAIRIES FOR ALL YOU SPAGS on August 27, 2012, 01:16:56 AM
Quote from: A Very Hairy Monkey In An Ill-Fitting Tunic on August 26, 2012, 11:54:48 PM
I fucking love ferrets.

I got extra skin. Wut?
                                        \

She growls hello

True story

I blame a lot of it on the idea that all dogs spend every waking moment plotting to dominate people. "Don't let the dog on the furniture, he'll be on your level", "Don't let the dog walk ahead of you, he'll think he's your leader", etc. I never heard stuff like that until fairly recently, maybe the last ten or fifteen years. Waiting for the fad to die out.  :x

And yeah. Total dick move. I saw a lady smack a chihuahua in the head once. She won't do it around me again.  :lol:

That's what you want people to hear when they're trying to jimmy your window.  :lulz:

She is a VERY effective watchdog.  :lol:

There really is a raft of totally shitty faux-dog psychology out there, much of which seems to be inspired by the same people (and level of reason) as inspires the PUA crowd. Or people watch that dog whisperer guy and think that they should apply the same tactics to their perfectly well-behaved pups as he uses with dogs that have severe behavioral issues.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Also,
Quote from: A Very Hairy Monkey In An Ill-Fitting Tunic on August 26, 2012, 11:55:57 PM
Wow, pretty dogs!
Thanks! Nina's fucking adorable, btw.

Thanks! :D She's a big sweetie pie.

Juana

Quote from: TEXAS FAIRIES FOR ALL YOU SPAGS on August 27, 2012, 03:04:22 AM

He's learning, then.  :)
Apologies if I'm overposting, I've had the collie bug since early childhood, too.  :) Your dogs might actually be closer to "real" collies than what people generally think of as a "collie". I've read that rough collies were bred with borzois in the early 1900's to get the fashionable heads (and less brain room).
http://www.oldtimefarmshepherd.org/current-collie-articles/landrace-vs-purebred-scotch-collies/
He is. :D
No worries. I tend to want to gush endlessly about my dogs, so I get it. :lol: And thanks for the link! That was interesting stuff!